Scorsese and DiCaprio return to Boston

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:Oh Damien, at least tell me you liked The Piano more than Schindler's List so I can forget all the bad/wrong things you say about Scorsese :)
Oh, I think The Piano is so superior to Schindler's List that it's as if they don't even exist in the same universe.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Oh Damien, at least tell me you liked The Piano more than Schindler's List so I can forget all the bad/wrong things you say about Scorsese :)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

1. The Departed (beautifully-acted, highly entertaining but undisciplined genre piece)
2. The Aviator (well-crafted but empty and ulimately pointless)
3. Gangs of New York (an incoherent mess)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

But then I'd be stuck with a win for The Color Purple which - as much as I don't love Schindler's List - is even WORSE.

God with the Academy, it's really pick your poison isn't it? Can't we just, oh I dunno, NOT give Speilberg an Oscar at all? Or at least make him wait until something interesting like "A.I" and shut out Ron Howard instead?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, Akash, though I whole-heartedly disagree with you about Schindler's List, I did think Piano was a great film. And had they not stiffed Spielberg for The Color Purple and recognized the film over the decidedly boring Out of Africa, you might have gotten your wish.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin wrote:They've given us one great film ('The Departed' - best film to win the Oscar since 'Schindler's List' or 'Unforgiven')
Totally agree with you on Unforgiven. Not so much on the horribly overrated Schindler's List. Jane Campion should have been the first woman to win Best Director that year and seen her film take Best Picture too.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Personally, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Gangs of New York
2. The Departed
3. The Aviator
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Go back to The Shire, ya friggin' Hobbit!

They've given us one great film ('The Departed' - best film to win the Oscar since 'Schindler's List' or 'Unforgiven') and two imperfect but fascinating ones (like I need to cite them?). That's more than good enough. The love affair needs to stop right now, especially considering that Leonardo DiCaprio may never top his performance as Billy Costigan.

A Dennis Lehane novel? BLEH! Does Marty have a blood oath with DiCaprio to win him the Oscar? Will he ever make 'The Silence'? Goodness...
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think The Departed is one of their mediocrities compared to The Aviator which is the best thing Scorsese's done since Age of Innocence.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I say Scorsese and DiCaprio have given us one good film (The Departed), and two mediocrities. I think they'd be best quitting whle they're ahead and going their seperate ways.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

In the past few years, the Scorsese/DiCaprio pairing gave us two great films (The Departed and Gangs of New York) and one good film (The Aviator). In fact it was when they weren't paired up that DiCaprio found time for crap like The Blood Diamond, and Scorsese found time for crap like Shark Tale. So I'm looking forward to the new film and I say, keep pairing up boys!

Oh fuck, I forgot about Catch Me If You Can - one of the few Speilberg films I like.

Edited By Akash on 1193544721
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Scorsese and DiCaprio Reteam on Island
Source: Variety

Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio will reteam early next year on Shutter Island, a Laeta Kalogridis-scripted adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel.

The film, a co-production between Paramount Pictures and Columbia Pictures, will start production in March. Paramount will supervise production and distribute domestically while Columbia is looking to distribute internationally.

The project will be a co-production between Phoenix Pictures, Scorsese's Sikelia and DiCaprio's Appian Way. Mike Medavoy, Arnold Messer, Brad Fischer and Scorsese will produce. Lehane, Kalogridis and Louis Phillips will be executive producers.

The drama is set in 1954, with DiCaprio in final talks to play U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels, who is investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane and is presumed to be hiding on the remote Shutter Island.

The movie will most likely shoot in Massachusetts, Connecticut or Nova Scotia.

Lehane's novel "Mystic River" was turned into a film by Clint Eastwood, and his "Gone Baby Gone" is the basis for the Ben Affleck-directed drama that opened this past weekend.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “2009”