Scorsese and DiCaprio return to Boston

Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I'm glad if she stays. Love her. Let's get this talented girl more roles!
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I guess she decided not to after all. I'm glad, since working with Martin Scorsese will obviously be a big step in her career.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I thought Michelle Williams was dropping out?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Three Join Scorsese's Shutter Island
Source: The Hollywood Reporter February 26, 2008

Max von Sydow, Emily Mortimer and Jackie Earle Haley have joined the cast of Martin Scorsese's mystery drama Shutter Island for Paramount, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The three join Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams and Patricia Clarkson in the film, which was adapted by Laeta Kalogridis from Dennis Lehane's 2004 novel.

The story revolves around two U.S. marshals (DiCaprio and Ruffalo) who travel to a Massachusetts island to investigate the disappearance of a patient from a hospital for the criminally insane. Chaos ensues for the two as they encounter a web of deceit, a hurricane and a deadly inmate riot that leaves them trapped on the island.

Von Sydow will play one of the hospital's physicians, while Mortimer will play Rachel, an escaped hospital patient. Haley will play an inmate.

Production is set to begin on March 6.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

The movie's release date has just been announced: October 2, 2009. You should probably move this to Films of 2009 and beyond, Wes.

They've also changed the title back to Shutter Island. Weird.

Edited By MovieWes on 1202963096
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Some updates:

The title has been changed to Ashcliffe.

Patricia Clarkson has joined the cast.

Michelle Williams may be dropping out because the death of Heath Ledger has left her in a weakened emotional state.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I agree OG. He's adorable!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Mark Ruffalo is always an added treat in movies.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

It has been announced that Mark Ruffalo, Michelle Williams, and Ben Kingsley have joined the cast.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Johnny Guitar wrote:I'm curious, what qualifies as "feminism" for you, Magilla? Is it simply women being mean or violent towards men? The Piano (which you surely like more than I do, if it's still your second favorite of '93) doesn't have underdeveloped male characters in the context of its story: Neill and Keitel are as fleshed out as they need to be. It simply happens to be a woman-centered story. A film isn't incomplete or underdeveloped just because it relegates the men to supporting roles, and depicts one of the two substantial male characters as being a repressed, possessive Victorian ass. Or is any negative depiction of a single man in a woman-centered work "too feminist"? Must the ladies be all smiles & cupcakes when they make films?
None of the above. By feminism in film, I'm talking about a mood, a feeling, a conveyed sense of female superiority over that of the male characters either in intellect or behavior.

Feminism according to dictionary.com simply means the advocacy of equal rights for men and women. Nothing wrong with that, so perhaps I'm using the wrong term.
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Big Magilla wrote:I have no problem with the depiciton of feminism or any other topic per se, I just don't like to be hit over the head with it. I do think The Piano was Campion's most accomplished film, and both Holly Hunter and Anna Paquin were amazing even if it was at the expense of the under-developed male characers in the film.

I'm curious, what qualifies as "feminism" for you, Magilla? Is it simply women being mean or violent towards men? The Piano (which you surely like more than I do, if it's still your second favorite of '93) doesn't have underdeveloped male characters in the context of its story: Neill and Keitel are as fleshed out as they need to be. It simply happens to be a woman-centered story. A film isn't incomplete or underdeveloped just because it relegates the men to supporting roles, and depicts one of the two substantial male characters as being a repressed, possessive Victorian ass. Or is any negative depiction of a single man in a woman-centered work "too feminist"? Must the ladies be all smiles & cupcakes when they make films?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Holy Smoke!' is such a hit or miss film that explores some very interesting territory. It features one of Kate Winslet's most fearless and accomplished roles. When that movie hit DVD...and the stills did as well...let's just say I didn't leave the dorm room for a while.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Akash wrote:2) I really don't see how anyone can say Speilberg's film was a competent adaptation of Walker's novel. Like at all. And I'm of the camp that feels a film doesn't have to be slavishly faithful to the source material at all, so that's not even the reason I find it lousy. It's easy, fake, maudlin. Goldberg and Avery's tender scenes are the best things in it. Even I liked "Miss Celie's Blues" but the rest is forgettable.
So's the novel.

As for The Piano, I actually think it's one of Campion's lesser films. I much prefer An Angel at My Table and depending on my mood, Holy Smoke.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Sabin wrote:'93 was a year of major disappoints? I was under the impression that it was an embarassment of riches. The Best Picture lineup is among the most impressive of my lifetime and there's not a one that isn't above average filmmaking in my estimation.
I totally agree with Sabin...1993 is, to me, one of the truly great years of movies: The Piano, Remains of the Day, Short Cuts, Dazed and Confused, Groundhog Day, Fearless, What's Love Got To Do With It?, Six Degrees of Separation, In the Name of the Father, Threesome, Trois Couleurs: Bleu, A Perfect World, The Joy Luck Club, and THREE camp classics: Indecent Proposal, The Good Son, and Sliver.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'93 was a year of major disappoints? I was under the impression that it was an embarassment of riches. The Best Picture lineup is among the most impressive of my lifetime and there's not a one that isn't above average filmmaking in my estimation.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2009”