The Official Tony Awards Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Did anyone tape it? I completely forgot, so I've missed it and would desperately like to see it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote:I won't have time to comment on the show till tomorrow, but, can someone who knows Jersey Boys clarify: is the Tommy DeVito in the Four Seasons really the same Tommy DeVito Pesci played in GoodFellas, or was that a joke? Because that would make the show a whole lot more interesting project, to me.

The Tommy DeVito Joe Pesci played in GoodFellas was based on a real guy named Tommy DeSimone. Although the Tommy DeVitor from Jersey Boys is based on a real-life guy who possibly had mob connections.

I was planning on seeing Jersey Boys or The History Boys in New York this August, but now it doesn't look like I'll be going.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I won't have time to comment on the show till tomorrow, but, can someone who knows Jersey Boys clarify: is the Tommy DeVito in the Four Seasons really the same Tommy DeVito Pesci played in GoodFellas, or was that a joke? Because that would make the show a whole lot more interesting project, to me.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I had no rooting interest in any of the shows, so I'm fine with whoever won. The sweetest moment was Bill Irwin (a childhood hero of mine) and the deathless Patricia Neal, now with her replacement Tony.

I was only half paying attention. Did they remember to mention the troops this year? ???
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And as much as I loathe Andrew Lloyd Weber (who composed three of the shows mentioned in the 60 Years of Broadway montage vs. Stephen Sondheim's zero), even I will admit "Music of the Night" is a can't-miss melody. So how the heck did that guy destroy it?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

dws1982 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:1) Harry Connick, Jr. may have a pleasant voice when he's not hitting clinkers. But he has no stage presence, no charisma, no sense of how to engage an audience at all.

He's performing a number from The Pajama Game right now, and you're absolutely right.
But Kelli O'Hara was pretty hot.

The Color Purple is proof that you can adapt anything to the stage, but shouldn't. Sing it with me! "He hit me! He hit me! Wooah wooah wooah!" What's next, an adaptation of Rabbit Run complete with an interpretive ballet after the baby drowns?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sonic Youth wrote:1) Harry Connick, Jr. may have a pleasant voice when he's not hitting clinkers. But he has no stage presence, no charisma, no sense of how to engage an audience at all.
He's performing a number from The Pajama Game right now, and you're absolutely right.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Two thoughts:

1) Harry Connick, Jr. may have a pleasant voice when he's not hitting clinkers. But he has no stage presence, no charisma, no sense of how to engage an audience at all. Bring back Wolverine.

2) They should change the name to Stravinsky Todd.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There are still six names they haven't announced. I was expecting Lansbury, Elaine Stritch and Helen Gallagher to be included. Lansbury may be in Ireland, but Stritch and Gallagher live in New York and Gallagher has a video clip on the Tony site talking about her 1970 win for No, No, Nanette. I'm sure they've been asked.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Hugh Jackman has a thing in Australia that night. He has said that if they had asked (which they didn't), he wouldn't have done it because of this thing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Where the hell is Lansbury? She's hosted the damned show MANY times. Why isn't she on there? Surprisingly enough neither is recent three-time host Hugh Jackman.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The 60th annual Tony Awards show will have 60 presenters. Of the 54 already announced, I'm most loking forward to seeing octogenarians Janis Paige and Patricia Neal.
Both these ladies were interviewed in the documentary Broadway: The Golden Years. Age has not been kind to Janis Paige. However, Patricia Neal is still quite well preserved.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The 60th annual Tony Awards show will have 60 presenters. Of the 54 already announced, I'm most loking forward to seeing octogenarians Janis Paige and Patricia Neal.

Here's the list of announced presenters:
Alfre Woodard, Anna Paquin, Bernadette Peters, Cynthia Nixon, Glenn Close, Hank Azaria, Julia Roberts, Kyra Sedgwick, Liev Schreiber, Oprah Winfrey, Mark Ruffalo, Chita Rivera, Ralph Fiennes, James Naughton, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Harvey Fierstein, Tom Skerritt, Ana Gasteyer, Audra McDonald, Bebe Neuwirth, Bill Irwin, Christine Ebersole, David Hyde Pierce, Hal Holbrook, Harry Belafonte, Harry Connick, Jr., Harry Smith, James Earl Jones, Janis Paige, Jim Dale, Joanna Gleason, Joe Pesci, John Tartaglia, Jonathan Pryce, Josh Lucas, Julianna Margulies, Julie Andrews, Kristen Bell, Lauren Ambrose, Marcia Gay Harden, Mary Louise Parker, Michael McKean, Neil Patrick Harris, Norbert Leo Butz, Oliver Platt, Patricia Neal, Paul Rudd, Paul Shaffer, Rosie Perez, S. Epatha Merkerson, Sara Ramirez, Stanley Tucci, T.R. Knight and Victoria Clark.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Yes, Okri, I was going to post about it. The Drama Desk award certainly elevates him to front-runner status -- though both Drama Desk and NY Drama Critics picking Drowsy Chaperone makes it a near-prohibitive favorite for best musical.

By picking Ebersole for Grey Gardens -- next year's Tony winner -- Drama Desk effectively dodged this year's best musical actress category
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

At least my "John Lloyd Young has won everything comment" didn't invite the irony fairies out to laugh at me.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”