2016-2017 Tony Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 2016-2017 Tony Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:ON EDIT: And, good god, that Hello, Dolly! number. As someone wrote elsewhere, "a cut number restored/an audience bored". A show that has numerous famous songs/worthy numbers, and that's what they chose to represent it?
Unfortunately, that's what you get when the star who is in practically every number, refuses to perform. The only other choice would have been Kate Baldwin singing "Ribbons down My Back".
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Question for any Tony experts around here. Ben Platt is only 23. Is he the youngest SOLO winner of the Leading Actor in a Musical category?

EDIT: I just remembered the Billy Elliot boys winning this category. LOL.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

This evening was the first time I watched the Tonies. And it was Live. In New York. And I actually did see one of the winning performances, as well as few nominated ones, since I saw Doll's House Part 2 last Thursday (of course I have many issues with the play, which I found to be misguided and way to Americanized for its own good. Metcalf was impressive, yet too broad too often, slipping into her comic comfort zone, but then again, there seemed to be some pact between the people onstage and those watching them that this was a comedy, a pact that probably went over my head). I was contemplating spending my life savings and seeing more theatre, but then I found out there's a Lubitsch program at the Film Forum - much more affordable and probably (who am I kidding - certainly) more fun. So I saw Cluny Brown, To Be or Not to Be, The Student Prince, Heaven Can Wait and The Mountain cat, the latter having the bonus of being preceded by a nice talk with Lubitsch's daughter, Nicola. Maybe I'll see more tomorrow. And I also saw Passport to Pimlico at the Lincoln Center, so coming to NY wasn't a total waste after all.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

One last thing. I remember the year of Fun Home (which feels like a close kindred of Hansen's). By the end of the Tony broadcast that year, I felt I had a pretty good idea of what Fun Home was all about and what it was like, and I felt eager to see it. I got nothing of the sort for Evan Hansen by the end of this year's broadcast. That's not meant to be a knock on the musical, which I'm sure is very good. I suspect it was another shortcoming of the broadcast.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote:The applause-meter during In Memoriam felt especially tacky now that we've become used to no applause during the Oscar version. By the way: the song they were playing was from a 1975 movie called Cooley High. I hadn't heard it in all the years since (though online says Boyz II Men recordded it at some point), and was surprised it came back to me so quickly.
I'm not familiar with the original version, but it sounded like an almost note-for-note redo of the Boys II Men version. Of all the things you could pick, I'm not sure what made them go with that one.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've always been more a fan (certainly less a hater) of Kevin Spacey than most of the online universe, but I can't say he did much for me tonight. His late jab at Bette Midler was the only thing he said all night that genuinely made me laugh.

The opening number felt poorly rehearsed/paced -- I felt like cues weren't being picked up. And, yeah, the whole "I wasn't the first choice for host" is pure inside baseball that's been done better by Jon Stewart.

A few surprises, I'd say -- Michael Aronov, Christopher Ashley -- which brought some tinge of suspense, even if many categories went to the favorites in the end. (I've seen some people claiming Taichman's directing win as a massive upset, but, as I noted earlier, it felt like a possibility,) Dear Evan Hansen had to feel mostly good going into the finale, having won everything but director, but that one miss -- especially given Platt's father's experience in February -- had to nag at them till the final name was read.

My wife, by the way, worked with Christopher Ashley many moons ago, and liked him very much. He's had a long career in the theatre, so it's hard to begrudge him this (except thinking that Michael Grief has waited as long and been more deserving).

I thought Rachel Bay Jones gave by far the best speech of the evening, though Ben Platt's was also moving. His win was obviously popular; unknowns only get ovations like that for exceptional performances.

Not a single number wowed me. The Evan Hansen thing came closest, but I, like dws, felt Platt was holding back a bit, presumably due to the vocal issues he's had the past week. I'd heard buzz from the rehearsal that Natasha and Pierre (which was re-named The Great Comet for the evening, apparently) truly killed, and maybe it did in the theatre, but the camera-work was so slapdash that I couldn't get any sense of what was supposed to be going on. The Bandstand number was more effective by virtue of being simple and direct.

The applause-meter during In Memoriam felt especially tacky now that we've become used to no applause during the Oscar version. By the way: the song they were playing was from a 1975 movie called Cooley High. I hadn't heard it in all the years since (though online says Boyz II Men recordded it at some point), and was surprised it came back to me so quickly.

ON EDIT: And, good god, that Hello, Dolly! number. As someone wrote elsewhere, "a cut number restored/an audience bored". A show that has numerous famous songs/worthy numbers, and that's what they chose to represent it?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought it was pretty bad through the awkward In Memoriam segment, but the last three awards (Ben Platt, Bette Midler, Best Musical) breathed some life into it.

I didn't think the final song was all that bad, but it was something that would have been more at home at the end of a 1950s Emmy Awards show.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

That final clinker Patti Lapone hit was emblematic of the entire evening. What I wouldn't have given for a scene from Oslo, A Dolls House 2 and The Little Foxes.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Speaking of "Who thought that was a good idea?": This final number with Kevin Spacey and Patti LuPone. Embarrassing.

For a show that usually gets a reputation as the classy awards show, this was a mess, as bad as any Emmy ceremony I've ever seen.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It didn't sound bad to me, so must have been your connection. I actually liked the performance from Come From Away. Didn't care for much of anything else.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The sound mix on this has been terrible. I noticed it during the Dear Evan Hansen, but didn't think much of it, because I knew Ben Platt had been on vocal rest, and I thought he was holding back vocally. But then there was War Paint, The Great Comet, and Bandstand where the vocals all seemed to get drowned out by the music. Maybe it's something to do with the way I'm watching (HD antenna), because this happens sometimes with football games too.

The In Memoriam sure was a throwback. Who thought that was a good idea?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I think I can safely say that until the "Great Comet" musical number, this is the worst Tony Awards show I've ever seen. "Great Comet" was like Gogol Bordello crashing an Andrea Bocelli concert. Although it was fun to see my friend on the telecast. She even had a line!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Those were two unwatchable musical numbers in a row. I swear on the souls of my ancestors that that song from "Come From Away" was friggin Pinball Wizard! And why do we still have 10 minute production numbers about hosting awards shows? This theater is too small to fit both Kevin Spacey and his self-regard.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

The musical standout on The Drama Desk Awards was Katrina Lenk singing "Omar Sharif" from The Band's Visit.

THAT was show-stopping.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:One prediction article I read noted that it’s been 15 years since a nominated musical won best director without also winning the top award (all subsequent splits have involved directors of revivals – except for 2006, the winning revival). This gives me pause, because I’ve been thinking this is a year ripe for a split – neither Evan Hansen nor Come from Away seem to have a strong directorial signature, while Nastasha and Pierre is apparently full-on spectacle of the sort for which Diane Paulus has been honored in the past. I’ll stick to predicting Rachel Chavkin (there have been such splits prior to that 15 year period – Millie/Urinetown, Rent/Bring in Da Noise, City of Angels/Grand Hotel), but now view Michael Grief as highly-likely alternate.
I wonder if Michael Greif's status as a Broadway vet who has never won a Tony might give him a sentimental edge. He's been responsible for some pretty significant shows over the past couple decades, one of which was a genuine cultural phenomenon (Rent), and two others which were enormously respected in NY theater circles (Grey Gardens and Next to Normal). All of these shows won multiple Tonys, and he very well might have been the runner-up in the Director category every time out. This overdue factor might push him over the top, particularly given that this is Rachel Chavkin's Broadway debut.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”