R.I.P. Harper Lee

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: R.I.P. Harper Lee

Post by Heksagon »

A bit of old news by now, but the copyright holder to Mockingbird has decided to discontinue the book's paperback version in order to sell more copies of the costlier hardcover versions.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... story.html

Another reminder of how unjustified the copyright laws are these days, benefiting more the lawyers than the authors. The book is more than fifty years old and its author is dead, there is no reason for this book not to be in the public domain.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

The reason I mentioned Gordimer is that when she died a few years ago I said I was hoping to read one of her novels and asked for recommendations. I still haven't gotten around to it.

I don't read a lot of fiction, but even I have read To Kill a Mockingbird, I think three or four years ago.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Heksagon wrote:So, how is Go Set a Watchman? Is it worth reading? I could pick it up after Gordimer, after all.
Certainly one of the most random things I've ever read on this board. It really made me chuckle.

(A character in one of my published short stories, a man who's obsessed with his neighbor's wife, imagines that his wife is sleeping with one of her female students who she refers to him as "the Nadine Gordimer girl.")

I have also been avoiding Go Set a Watchman for the reason that Franz Ferdinand offered. It'll probably sit on my shelf until I have a compelling enough reason to pick it up. I think a biopic of Harper Lee could be fascinating, especially if it focused on the events of this final chapter of her life.
Last edited by flipp525 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Heksagon wrote:So, how is Go Set a Watchman? Is it worth reading? I could pick it up after Gordimer, after all.
I'm avoiding it because of its unsavory publication background, but her sole book is one major legacy to leave behind.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

So, how is Go Set a Watchman? Is it worth reading? I could pick it up after Gordimer, after all.
CalWilliam
Temp

R.I.P. Harper Lee

Post by CalWilliam »

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”