At Danceteria and Other Stories by Philip Dean Walker

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
flipp525
Laureate

Re: At Danceteria and Other Stories by Philip Dean Walker

Postby flipp525 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Another shameless self promotion moment ahead...

I'll be doing another reading at the Bureau of General Sciences - Queer Division (housed at the LGBT Center in NYC located at 208 West 13th Street - Room 210). I'll be reading with Scott Hess (Skyscraper), Amy Duplak (Dust), and Robert Hyers (Spinning the Record) on January 11, 2017 at 7pm. I'm going to read a section of my book, At Danceteria and Other Stories. Should be a fun night. I read with this same crew last month and the audience really seemed to enjoy it.

(Mister Tee, this is where you came and heard me in December 2015.)
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:56 pm

A friend of mine, Julia Whelan (named "Audible's Narrator of the Year in 2014" in addition to being a recipient of multiple Earphones and Audie Awards as well as the Voice Arts Award; she also recorded "Gone Girl" which went on to be the biggest selling Audible book of all time and played Sela Ward's daughter on the television drama Once & Again) has recorded a section from "Jackie and Jerry and The Anvil," a short story included in my new collection, AT DANCETERIA AND OTHER STORIES. This was done for "From the Heart" - a free holiday giveback composed of recordings of poetry, essays, stories, excerpts, songs, etc. by some of the best recording artists/narrators in the industry. I'm completely **bowled over** by the way she brings this story to life in this recording. She really brings the story, and its characters, to life. Her "Jackie O" is a revelation. Along with Portman's performance, Jackie seems to be re-trending.

From the Sound Cloud description: "At Danceteria and Other Stories" brings vividly to life the 1980s intersection of gay and celebrity cultures, right at the moment when AIDS began to change everything. In this story, "Jackie and Jerry and The Anvil," Jackie Kennedy recounts to Jerry the circumstances of her first love. Jerry Torre (infamous in his own right from the documentary of Jackie's eccentric aunt and cousin, "Grey Gardens") has taken her to a gay club in New York. This story - like others in Walker's collection - is based on actual events.

Check it out and have a listen: https://soundcloud.com/xe_sands/jackie- ... an/s-c3FeK
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:58 pm

For NYC (and surrounding areas) folks:

I'll be reading from At Danceteria and Other Stories as part of the lineup at the launch party for Scott Alexander Hess's book Skyscraper on 12/4 (3-5pm) at the infamous Eagle Bar NYC located at 554 W. 28th Street.

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that the Amazon link for my book is up. Ordering from Amazon is usually a bit easier for people so I wanted to include it for those who didn't have a chance to order it through my publisher's website. Thanks again for your support. And look for a possible film adaptation coming down the pike!

https://www.amazon.com/Danceteria-Other-Stories-Philip-Walker/dp/1941960057

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:20 am

Thanks, all! It's very much appreciated.

Tripp, yes, I definitely will be doing readings of the book. I'll keep this space updated with future dates. Hopefully, Chicago!

My website has a section listing readings which I'll also keep updated. I attended the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference in Vermont during the past two weeks and was able to read from the proof copy of my book which was quite exciting.

Reza
Laureate

Postby Reza » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:36 pm

Congratulations, flipp!!

Sounds very interesting and will be ordering this for sure.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Multo congratulations on this, flipp. Well deserved.

FilmFan720
Tenured

Postby FilmFan720 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20 pm

At one point you mentioned going around on more readings...might that still happen?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Congratulations on publishing your first book, flipp!

flipp525
Laureate

At Danceteria and Other Stories by Philip Dean Walker

Postby flipp525 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Longtime friends:

A little bit of shameless self-promotion here...I'm very happy to announce that the pre-order of my debut collection of short stories, At Danceteria and Other Stories has officially gone live. The book will be shipped out in early October. Here is a link to the publisher's website where you can pick up a copy today. The Amazon link is coming later so, right now, this is the only place you can find it:

http://squaresandrebels.com/books/atdanceteria.html

OR

http://tinyurl.com/Atdanceteria

I've been working on this collection for about four years now. I didn't really even realize I was writing a collection at first. It began as one story in one of my workshops and then started to take on a life of its own, as these projects tend to do. I read from the title story last December in New York City at the Bureau of General Sciences - Queer Division where our own Mister Tee was gracious enough to come hear me.

A synopsis from Squares + Rebels, my publisher:

"In these immaculately crafted stories inspired by the 1980s, Philip Dean Walker spotlights a cast of celebrities and historical figures in situations unsettling as Day-Glo and poignant as roses while the specter of AIDS looms ..."

Here is some advance praise from Andrew Holleran, author of Dancer from the Dance:

"This highly original meditation on the '80s is like nothing else you've read. Dead celebrities are brought back to life in the oddest places: Jackie O in a New York sex club, Princess Di in a London drag bar, Rock Hudson at the White House. Plus Sylvester, Halston and Liza, Keith Haring, Madonna, and, best of all, an anonymous narrator who notices that only good-looking guys in New York are getting the new gay cancer. Odd conjunctions, great wit, and the shadow of AIDS make these stories deceptively light and strangely disturbing."

From Stephanie Grant, author of The Passion of Alice:

"In his debut collection, At Danceteria and Other Stories, Philip Dean Walker writes with a kind of savage nostalgia, one that knows the past was not prettier or glitzier or more fabulous – only more terrifying. Set in the early 1980s, when the word 'queer' was still an insult and when doctors and nurses invented their own names for the mysterious disease killing beautiful young men, At Danceteria and Other Stories brutally exposes how what we don’t know about ourselves can kill us. Walker’s writing is vivid, electric and devastating."

From Richard McCann, author of Mother of Sorrows

"These stories—so funny and inventive, so merciless, smart, and affecting—are like no others I know, populated with American celebutantes, like Liza Minnelli, Jackie Kennedy, and Little Edie Beale, and punctuated by an abiding American loneliness that has the power to break one's heart. Walker's stories are fully, fully alive."

Thanks in advance for your support. I hope you enjoy my book. Stay tuned for what comes next as I'm already entertaining film adaptation offers...

-flipp
Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”