R.I.P. Sid Caesar

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: R.I.P. Sid Caesar

Post by Precious Doll »

Oops, I placed this same thread under 'The People' as I am largely ignorant of his work outside of cinema.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Christ, it feels like one a day we're losing.

My father revered Sid Caesar; he and my mother even went to see him do Little Me on Broadway in the early 60s.

Like most here, I got to him late. In the early 70s, they linked together a bunch of his TV shows in a film called "Ten from Your Show of Shows", which I saw in the movies and really liked.

I think his style got to seem a bit passe. Mel Brooks once said that his high-powered approach was bound to wear on people after a while -- unlike, say, Jack Benny or George Burns, whose laid-back approach kept them fresh/popular till death. (And Mel ought to know about high-powered approach)

If nothing else, the writing staff of Your Show of Shows ensures Caesar's importance. Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Carl Reiner, Woody Allen, other less famous but productive names -- a good percentage of American comedy in the 60s and 70s flowed straight from that writers' room. Hell, we've SEEN that room recreated multiple times: in Simon's Laughter on the 23rd Floor, in My Favorite Year, on The Dick van Dyke Show. It's as much part of American culture as the Hemingway crowd in Paris, the Beats, or the Brill Building bunch.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:It's too bad most people my age and younger only know Your Show of Shows by reputation, if it all.
Your age and a lot older. Your Show of Shows ran just one season from 1953-1954 when I was 10. I recall seeing Sid Caesar in his later shows, but that one was on past my bedtime.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

R.I.P. Sid Caesar

Post by Sonic Youth »

I LOVED Sid Caesar. Of course I wasn't around for Your Show of Shows at the time, but I watched episodes and clips in my teens. It's too bad most people my age and younger only know Your Show of Shows by reputation, if it all.

Sid Caesar, Saul Zaentz, Peter O'Toole, Joan Fontaine, Pete Seeger, Shirley Temple..... We've lost a lot of legends in a short amount of time. The good news is that they all lived very long lives.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/sid-cae ... 201100019/
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Broadcast Media”