TCM Oscar documentary

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
mlrg
Associate

Re: TCM Oscar documentary

Post by mlrg »

Big Magilla wrote:There was an old video put out by the Academy on VHS when Karl Malden was President of the Academy that had the Chaplin presentation as well as many more moments from the 70s and 80s, maybe early 90s. This thing was OK as a teaser, but it's really there to sell TCM's 31 Days of Oscar.
I own this VHS Tape!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There was an old video put out by the Academy on VHS when Karl Malden was President of the Academy that had the Chaplin presentation as well as many more moments from the 70s and 80s, maybe early 90s. This thing was OK as a teaser, but it's really there to sell TCM's 31 Days of Oscar.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'm glad it showed my top-two-all-time-favorite Oscar moments, the Lifetime Achievement Award to Charlie Chaplin and Michael Moore's acceptance speech for Bowling For Columbine. The Chaplin award I have only seen on video, as the live presentation was before my Oscar-watching time, while I had the privilege to watch the Moore speech in real time.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:There seemed to be just as many clips of films that didn't win Oscars, The Searchers; Rosemary's Baby, among them
Rosemary's Baby won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for Ruth Gordon's performance.
The clip was shown in reference to films that didn't win Best Picture.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:There seemed to be just as many clips of films that didn't win Oscars, The Searchers; Rosemary's Baby, among them
Rosemary's Baby won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for Ruth Gordon's performance.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I watched it.

It was OK, but at 90 minutes it didn't cover much. Interviews with Helen Mirren, Whoopi Goldberg, Jane Fonda and others were all things we've heard before. There seemed to be just as many clips of films that didn't win Oscars, The Searchers; Rosemary's Baby, among them, and too few scenes of Oscar ceremonies. You get more out of the clips at the Academy website or on YouTube.

A for effort, but C for execution.
mlrg
Associate

TCM Oscar documentary

Post by mlrg »

Did anybody watch the TCM Documentary "And the Oscar Goes to..." that premiered yeasterday? Was it any good?

Return to “Broadcast Media”