WGA's 101 Best Written TV Shows of All Time

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: WGA's 101 Best Written TV Shows of All Time

Post by ksrymy »

Okri wrote:The only kind of person who would say this is someone who hasn't seen very much television (using your parlance).

I think Breaking Bad is good but overrated, but I think time will be on it's side - not to the point where it's considered a far superior show than those HBO behemoths, but it will always be considered a titan. Honestly, though, right now, I don't think I would call it one of the best dramas of this season.
Just so you know, the only shows on the list that I haven't seen at least ten episodes of are Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, thirtysomething, St. Elsewhere, Northern Exposure, The Wonder Years, The Defenders, and Sgt. Bilko, so I'd say I'm pretty well-versed in television.

If anything is too low on the list, I'd say it's The Shield. It seems to fly under the radar because it was on FX instead of HBO, but the seasons are scripted out so tightly and uniquely. I'd also say, had The Sopranos not been around at the time, Vic Mackey would be the TV character everyone reveres.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

ksrymy wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:Six Feet Under is too high.
No, it's really not.
The only kind of person who would say this is someone who hasn't seen the show. It's one of the best-written series ever created.
The only kind of person who would say this is someone who hasn't seen very much television (using your parlance).

I think Breaking Bad is good but overrated, but I think time will be on it's side - not to the point where it's considered a far superior show than those HBO behemoths, but it will always be considered a titan. Honestly, though, right now, I don't think I would call it one of the best dramas of this season.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

flipp525 wrote:
No, it's really not.
The only kind of person who would say this is someone who hasn't seen the show. It's one of the best-written series ever created.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Except for those of us (and I think it is a larger group than you think) who find it a far superior show to The Sopranos, and maybe on par with The Wire.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Breaking Bad will probably almost always be ranked high for its dialogue and complete character transformations; however, I agree in that it won't pass TV establishments like The Sopranos and The Wire.

Also, like in film, comedy and drama are completely different kinds of writing. I wouldn't have minded 50 Best Comedy and 50 Best Drama lists from the WGA.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I feel that Breaking Bad is bound to be viewed as overrated in its time and won't hold up as well as some of these shows.

My wife and I finished the Sopranos in the past year, and I am still reeling from the finale. What an unbelievably shot final five minutes, and what a show period.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

This is writing, not Jerry's acting or the supposed weak finale. I'm proud they had the gall to put Seinfeld where it justly belongs...right behind THE show. The effect had on pop culture is directly a result of the scripts and little else.

With only this summer's swan song remaining for the saga of Walter White and the continued brilliance of its counterpart, Mad Men...in another 20 years this list will likely consist of 2 shows in the top 5 aired exclusively on a cable movie channel.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Seinfeld is way WAY too high. I'm disappointed in a number of placements on the list, especially the fact that MTM is so low in the Top 10. It was easily a better written show than Seinfeld.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

No, it's really not.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nah, Playhouse 90 is too low and Seinfeld is too high.
anonymous1980
Laureate

WGA's 101 Best Written TV Shows of All Time

Post by anonymous1980 »

The list.

Six Feet Under is too high. The Office (UK) is too low.

Return to “Broadcast Media”