Soaps

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

With the daytime Emmys approaching, I thought I would share a little experiment I did over the last year with you guys. I watched every soap as much as possible. I know, slightly insane. But I did give up cable a while back to save money and so my TV obsession only got worse on those few channels I get. Here is my breakdown on the quality of the soaps (I didn't rank Guiding Light in here as it left TV last fall, but I wouldn't rank it too highly; I found it slow and not very risky).

#1 One Life to Live
Yeah, its been my favorite show for the last few years so I'm a little biased, but IMO it had some daring storylines, fantastic characters coming and going, and some very memorable moments (Mitch Laurence popping out of the coffin, Stacy's drowning, Oliver's coming out) and the best and freshest writing.

#2 The Young and The Restless
The Adam and all of his antics storyline was fantastic, and the Emily/Patty stuff was soap opera fetishism. How she missed an Emmy nomination is beyond me.

#3 All My Children
The "who killed Stuart" plot was fascinating and I didn't mind that it went on for almost six months.

#4 As the World Turns
Its a shame its going off the air.

#5 Days of our Lives
Meh.

#6 The Bold and the Beautiful
The only good storyline over the last year was "old cougar marries the young stud who only wears black boxer briefs in every other episode," and that wore off.

#7 General Hospital
Easily the worst. Repeated storylines and that James Franco silliness.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."

Return to “Broadcast Media”