The American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
MCAR
Graduate

Post by MCAR »

This week:

1.Carrie
2.Vonzell
3.Nikko
4.Bo
5.Jessica
6.Nadia
7.Anwar
8.Constantine
9.Scott
10.Anthony
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My rankings:

01. Carrie
02. Vonzell
03. Bo
04. Jessica
05. Nikko
06. Nadia
07. Anwar
08. Constantine
09. Anthony
10. Scott
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
11. Mikalah

WHO SHOULD GO: Mikalah

WHO WILL GO: Mikalah
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Mikalah should go. That voice is fine in conversation but she needs to reign in her accent for vocal performances like all great singers can do. She has forever ruined one of the best Taylor Dayne songs ever written. Bad Mikalah. Anthony wasn't great, nor was Constantine, so it won't sadden me to see any of them go.

My biggest fear is that Nadia turned in an "ok" performance but she wasn't great. And, unless, her fan base is already huge, she's in danger.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MCAR
Graduate

Post by MCAR »

Rankings for this week:

1.Carrie
2.Jessica
3.Bo
4.Vonzell
5.Nadia
6.Nikko
7.Anwar
8.Scott
9.Constantine
10.Anthony
11.Mikalah

Would not mind if any of the bottom 4 here were sent home this week, though I know it wil not be Constantine....
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Surely you aren't going to defend this week's trainwreck from Anwar are you anonymous?

Tonight was proof to me that all Randy cares about is the high note. Anwar comes out and delivers an absolute trainwreck of a performance, hits a high note at the end and basically saves it in the eyes of the judges. Bo comes out and does a terrific job on an atypical song choice (when he could've sang a rock hit) and Randy criticizes him for not showing off his range enough. Booo.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My rankings for this week:

01. Nadia and Bo (TIE)
02. Vonzell
03. Constantine
04. Jessica
05. Anwar
06. Scott
07. Nikko
08. Carrie
09. Anthony
10. Lindsey
11. Mikalah

WHO SHOULD GO: Mikalah.

WHO WILL GO: Lindsey.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Okay...tonight was just more proof to me that Bo and Nadia are the clear picks of this litter and a final two without both of them would is unthinkable to me at this point. They're leagues and miles ahead of the others.

And Anwar needs to go back to East Orange New Jersey where he can bore the fourteen year-olds in his music class to tears, instead of boring 30 million people to tears.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

There's also a wild rumor that Nikko's dad (a baseball hall-of-famer) paid Mario to step down.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I sincerely doubt it's theory number two. There was an openly gay Idol contestant in the past.

Another theory: he was subpoenaed to testify at the Michael Jackson trial.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

There are a few theories floating around. That whole 'personal family thing' is b.s. as far as I know since his mother informed the NY Post that there isn't any 'family crisis' that she knows of.

It can be one of two theories: He refuses to sign the rather restrictive Idol contract or he got an outside record deal (I read a rumor BABYFACE expressed interest in him).

There's even one theory that suggests he wants to "come out" on TV so speak.
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Had to be the one I was rooting for...

Mario Vazquez Drops Out of 'American Idol'

LOS ANGELES - "American Idol" finalist Mario Vazquez, citing "personal issues," withdrew from the talent competition Sunday, and producers of the Fox show called in the son of a baseball Hall of Famer as backup.

Fox bumped Nikko Smith, the son of baseball great Ozzie Smith, into Vazquez's spot because Smith got more votes than Travis Tucker when both were voted off Wednesday, the network said.

Now, viewers of the No. 1-rated series will get a chance to reconsider their votes as Smith and the other 11 finalists perform Tuesday at 8 p.m. EST. The show airs live to the East Coast and is tape-delayed on the West Coast.

Vazquez, 27, had been picked by many fans and three fellow finalists as a favorite to win the competition.

He told TV Guide's Web site that he dropped out to "take care of some personal issues with my family in New York. And with `Idol' being a live show, it just wouldn't have worked out schedule-wise."

Vazquez said his departure had nothing to do with Fox or the show itself.

"It's just a personal family thing," he told the Web site. "My family is my top priority."

Smith, 22, of St. Louis, said in an interview before Sunday's announcement that he wasn't surprised to have been voted off.

"I wasn't as disappointed as people thought I would be because I've made it so far," he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I'm happy to get all that exposure. Millions and millions of people watch the show, and hopefully somebody saw me and liked what they saw."

Following Fox's announcement, a relative of Smith told the Post-Dispatch the family had been asked not to speak about his callback. Smith was not available for comment.

Vazquez is not the first to leave "Idol" unexpectedly, though few have done so willingly. Last year, George Huff was called back to Los Angeles when contestant Donnie Williams was cited for DUI. And in 2003, three contestants were dropped by Fox, two for failing to disclose arrest records and another for posing on an adult-oriented Web site.

___

On the Net:

http://www.idolonfox.com
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
filmgabber
Temp

Post by filmgabber »

Fantasia is quite talented, I'll admit. But I still think Clarkson is the cream of the crop, of Idolettes so far. Her new CD is quite good, while Fantasia's is flat. Though, Clarkson's debut was mediocre too. Fantasia can sing. But she doesn't have that star quality right now that Clarkson does, me thinks.
"Winners make the rules. Losers live by them" - the only good line from a horrible movie
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No one? Perhaps everyone. Clarkson was good but there are been equally talented people come through the competition. Some of them may have made tiny mistakes or been voted off too early but Clarkson is not by far the best contestant. Fantasia has an overall higher quality than Clarkson did.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
filmgabber
Temp

Post by filmgabber »

That Federov guy is cute for days. I'm dialing my vote for him. And as far as talent goes, no one comes close or has come close to Kelly Clarkson.
"Winners make the rules. Losers live by them" - the only good line from a horrible movie
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have to say I can't remember names but what a dreadful bunch of performers. The girl who Simon compared to a young Tina Turner was the only truly amazing performance of the night...truly pathetic...
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Broadcast Media”