The American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I must admit, he sounded much better in this finale program than he did a week ago. (I didn't watch last night's showdown.)

But he is so ungainly and WEIRD! I guess it says something that America is able to overlook this guy's clumsiness and grey mop and vote him over the the hot princess. Is America willing to forgo image? Or... *shudder*... is this the image we're entranced with? For real?

Taylor Hicks... Our American Idol.

Really Bizarre.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And we all thought Carrie Underwood was bad...

Welcome to the world of the repugnant Taylor Hicks...American not-an-Idol.

I think 2006 has GOT to be the year of Mediocrity. First Crash, now this. Certainly this isn't as devastating because the best was voted off third anyway...

Edited By OscarGuy on 1148522566
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And what happened to Dionne Warwick??? I saw her five years ago when everyone and their mothers were fauning over Burt Bach-a-hack during that tribute five years ago, and she looked and sounded marvelous. Somewhere in those few short years, she hit a wall. And she sounded awful.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It looks like Idol is the venue for old has-beens to revive their careers and to reach out to a younger audience.

I caught the first half hour. I had to leave and go to work early since we have a project in the works. I will see the rest tonight.

From what I've seen:

Paris and Al Jarreau - pretty good.

Chris and Live - pretty good.

Katharine and Meat Loaf - It would've been more entertaining if he did a duet with Dave Hoover.

Puck and Pickler - I hope Food Network executives are watching.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Is it my imagination, or are the amateur hour Idol contestants singing rings around the so-called "professional singers" they invited onto the finale? Meatloaf, Blige and Braxton gave three of the worst performances I've ever heard in my life, and I LIKE the latter two.

(Yeah, I'm watching it. :p )
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Holy CRAP Meatloaf was BAD! We're talking worse than anyone in the Top 12 of any season...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Taylor performed "Living for the City" again?!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

What is this "Soul Patrol" nonsense? Taylor Hicks has about as much soul as William F. Buckley.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My review:

ROUND 1

01. Taylor ("Living for the City") - I believe this is my favorite Taylor Hicks performance. Not quite as good as I remember it the first time but pretty close. Taylor wins this round. (A-)

02. Katharine ("Black Horse and the Cherry Tree") - It wasn't quite as good as it was the first time. This is far from a winning performance. (B)

ROUND 2

01. Katharine ("Over the Rainbow") - This is one encore performance that's every bit as good as the first time. (A)

02. Taylor ("Levon") - This song is also one of my favorite Taylor Hicks performance. I did not feel the magic this time around. (B-)

ROUND 3

01. Katharine ("My Destiny") - Mediocre song but Katharine's vocals shine through and makes the song sound better than it actually is. (B+)

02. Taylor ("Do I Make You Proud?") - A better song (not by much) but I didn't feel much of Taylor's magic in this one. Just okay for me. IMO, Kat wins this round. (B)

OVERALL:
01. Katharine
02. Taylor

WHO WILL WIN: Taylor
WHO SHOULD WIN: Elliott....wait.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know, early on in the series, the emphasis was placed on singing and not dancing. It was even eluded to in the first season but for some reason, they're letting contestants get way too dancy.

I cast 1 vote for Katherine just so I could say I voted for someone other than Taylor. He is the suckiest suck that ever sucked...I can't stand him but I think the songwriters wanted a guy to win. They gave him the more lyrically inspiring song and the one that didn't test his range too much. I think Katherine was off so frequently because it kept bouncing up and down in her range. She honestly did the best with what she got. I just hope that all the queens out there for Kat since the Over the Rainbow thing certainly pushes at their buttons.
Wesley Lovell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I had never watched a minute of this season's American Idol until the finale this evening, and had heard very little about the contestants.

That said, I watched the whole finale this evening and I must say I am absolutely flabbergasted that these two are the final singers in any competition. They range from mediocre (Katherine) to flat-out lousy (Taylor).

Katherine's opening was fine but unspectacular. Much of Over the Rainbow was well done, but some of her flourishes were so over the top both my sister and I cringed while watching. That last song was, quite simply, an atrocious piece of music. She did her best with it, but still hit one too many sour embellishments for me.

But her uneven performances are NOTHING compared to this Taylor guy. Do people honestly think he has a compelling voice? It's practically painful to listen to. And what is with his dance moves? I guess he's a unique performer, but I couldn't stand one minute of any of his songs.

I also can't understand how everyone thinks Simon Cowell is so mean. Most of what he said last night was MUCH too kind, IMO.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

flipp525 wrote:Is Taylor Hicks actually going to win this thing?

I'm so not impressed.

Stick your "Soul Patrol" up my ass.
I think so.

I think those who voted for him are more impressed by him as an entertainer (with all those funny moves) than as a singer. Well, if there's anyone who said that he/she voted for Taylor cause he's got a great vocal, I'm just gonna puke!

LOL! That's so funny! Unfortunately, his Soul Patrol fans, regardless of how many there are out there, are definitely gonna vote for him like crazy.

I just hope the non-SP fans would remember Kat's rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow and vote for her like crazy as well.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Ew, I hated the "singles". Why did they have to be so gospel and feel-goody-goody? Boring!

Love McPhee's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". It gives me the chills. Taylor's version of "Levon" this time around was really not very impressive.

Is Taylor Hicks actually going to win this thing? Ugh. I am so sick of his shtick. I'm so not impressed. Stick your "Soul Patrol" up my ass.

Damien, I'm gonna have to revise my whole vision of you now.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Just a few days ago I was convinced that Kat had it in the bag. But now I think Taylor's winning. They were about even in the first two rounds, but when they sang their upcoming Singles, they gave Kat the suckiest song that ever sucked. Taylor's song wasn't exactly good, but it was definitely better than the one they gave Kat.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

VanHelsing wrote:
Damien wrote:I've had a few lovely encounters with them over the years.

Err... I thought you are gay? Didn't know you are bi as well.

Emphasis on "a few." Not enough to qualify as bi, lol.

Just as straight guys sometimes succumb because of too much drink or being alone on a ship with other sailors for six months, so do gay men occasionally find their way into women's beds.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “Broadcast Media”