The American Idol Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My rankings for tonight:

ROUND 1:

01. Elliott ("If I Can Dream") - His rich, jazzy tone really sold the song for me. I got goosebumps in the end. Truly one of his best. (A)

02. Chris ("Suspicious Minds") - Not one of his best performances ever but this one's pretty darn solid. (B+)

03. Katharine ("Hound Dog/All Shook Up") - The forgotten verse notwithstanding, this is a really fun performance. Not one of her best but a refreshing change from what we were used to seeing. (B)

04. Taylor ("Jailhouse Rock") - This is a crazy Taylor performance but as far as crazy Taylor performances go, I think I like "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" better. An entertaining one neverheless. (B-)

ROUND 2

01. Elliott ("Trouble") - Wow! This guy just hit it out of the park. My favorite performance from him so far and my favorite performance of the night. This should get him into the Top 3. (A+)

02. Taylor ("In the Ghetto") - This is the side of Taylor I personally prefer. Soulful and passionate. Not his best but it's definitely up there. (A-)

03. Katharine ("Can't Help Falling In Love") - I personally liked it though it ended with a whimper . (B+)

04. Chris ("A Little Less Conversation") - This one started out bad, got good in the end but overall a mediocre performance. (B-)

OVERALL:

01. Elliott
02. Taylor
03. Chris
04. Katharine

WHO SHOULD GO HOME: Katharine
WHO WILL GO HOME: Katharine
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

19E may want to consider being flexible in Daughtry's case. If the Fuel gig is still available, having Chris become their lead singer will be good for all three parties. Fuel gets a good lead singer, Chris becomes part of a band that already has good songwriters, and 19E and FOX get good publicity if Fuel continues to be successful, for everyone will remember him as Chris from AI.

And Chris will almost certainly be more successful with Fuel than anything 19E will come up with. Bo Bice has a good voice and his band is not bad, but his album is filled with mediocre songs. By the time Bo is finished with his obligations to 19E, it may be too late for him to have a solo career unless 19E can find someone to write good songs for him.

19E is entitled to make money off these artists, for they provided the platform that allowed them to become famous. But 19E has not gotten the potential some of these artists have for publicity or music sales. They will have to be a little more flexible.

If an established band like Fuel wants Chris or Bo to be their lead singer, perhaps a financial arrangement can be made between the band's managers and 19E. Also, perhaps a big splash of publicity can accompany the singer officially joining the band. If the band continues to be successful, this will only benefit 19E and AI, for we will all remember where the new singer got his start.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The eventual winner is practically 19E's property for at least a year or two.

From season four onward, 19E owns the winner's soul for seven years. Runner-up is sentenced to two years of indentured servitude at 19E.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I'm not 100% sure but this is what I know based on what I've read and what I've been told from various sources:

- Once you reach the Top 24, you are forbidden from accepting offers from recording companies or indeed, making any public appearances or performances without the consent of the 19E for six months to a year after the finale.

- The eventual winner is practically 19E's property for at least a year or two. 50% of profits from the album/single they will release go directly to 19E's pocket and the winner has very little (if any) say on what goes into his/her album. No wonder Kelly Clarkson got better and more respected only when she did a "breakaway" from 19E.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I'm curious to know the obligations someone who goes deep into the AI competetion has to FOX and/or Project 19. I think fronting Fuel would be an outstanding career move for both Chris Daughtry and Fuel. But, is he now forbidden to do this? Is he obligated to be known as "Chris Daughtry from AI" for the time being? Would Fuel be obligated to be known as "Fuel, featuring Chris Daughtry from AI?" for the time being? Obviously, Fuel would rather look for another lead singer than do that.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

ok, no more AI for me... gonna concentrate on survivor & amazing race now...

btw, i think it's a foregone conclusion that chris will win this eventually... if not him, it'll be katharine...

next week, look forward to elliot being voted off...
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the only person I WANT to see win the competition at this point is Elliott. I haven't liked Taylor's antics since the beginning. I'm tired of Kelly Clarkson clones (out with Katharine). And while I like Chris, he should have taken the offer to front Fuel instead of careening down the path of obscurity. Look at Bo Bice. I thought he was incredibly talented and he lost the competition. His first album I haven't heard but the one song he did on Idol was crap.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

As soon as Elliott leaves (next week, I'm afraid), I'm done for the season. Taylor's a spastic clown (Damien's right) who's about as relevant in the current pop scene as Engelbert Humperdinck. Katharine is all technique but zero substance--while she may have a good voice, she's the worst singer left by miles and miles. And Chris...if TPTB think he's their best bet at a succesful star, then they're backing the wrong horse. He doesn't have the charisma to be a solo act. Rock radio won't play him; as the American Idol winner, he'll have zero credibility as a genuine "Rocker". I liked him at the beginning of the season, but now I'm verging on hate. He's revealed himself to be a total performer-bot with two settings: Screaming Rocker, and Dead Eyed Balladeer.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Damien wrote:That clown Taylor
LOL. I'm happy that there's at least one other person here who thinks there's no excuse for Taylor.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Finally saw the show.

My rankings:

Round 1:

01. Chris ("Renegade") - Glad to see Chris rocking out again after a while. Although not one of his best performances, it's still pretty darn good and the best in the first round. (A-)

02. Elliott ("On Broadway") - It's sure as hell better than Scott Savol's performance of the same song last year. Yes, it's not his best but he really shined through. (B+)

03. Taylor ("Play That Funky Music") - Another fun, spirited Taylor performance. Of course, Simon hated it. But it's really great in a dorky sort of way. (B+)

04. Paris ("Kiss") - Far from her best but it's such a strange song choice that she did the best she could with it. (B-)

05. Katharine ("Against All Odds") - Easily her worst performance to date and the worst performance of the night. It was uneven, flat. Got better in the end but it's too little, too late. ©

Round 2:

01. Katharine ("Black Horse and Cherry Tree") - Strange. From being the worst of the last round to being the best of this round and indeed, the best of the night. The vocals are spot-on and it was unique, fun performance. (A-)

02. Taylor ("Something") - Taylor showed both of his sides tonight: Goofy dancing white dude and soulful singer. This is one of his best vocal performances in quite a while. (A-)

03. Elliott ("Home") - Not as good as the last one but it's still a pretty vocally solid performance. (B+)

04. Paris ("Be Without You") - Slightly better than the first one but it's still not her best performance in the show by far. (B)

05. Chris ("I Dare You') - Not too crazy about this performance. Vocally, it's Chris's worst. Though at best, it's uneven. (C+)

OVERALL RANKINGS:
01. Taylor
02. Elliott
03. Chris
04. Katharine
05. Paris

WHO SHOULD GO HOME: Paris
WHO WILL GO HOME: Paris
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

i guess we all know who the final two are gonna be... with the exception of any last minute change which most likely won't happen...

the day when Paris gets voted off, i'll stop seeing AI... which should be sometime next week... sigh...
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think this should enter the vernacular as well, Damien:

picklered: To be surpassed or beaten by someone less talented and qualified than you are because of their looks and charm.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A new word has entered the vernacular.

From Faggoty-Ass Faggot:

mandisa (v.) man-deei-sah. When a celebrity or politican whose popularity is virtually guaranteed among gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders because of a personal trait (ie. large black singing divas, Democrats, straight actors playing "courageous" gay roles) instead draws the queers' wrath because his or her true position is revealed by bloggers.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm beginning to think that Kellie may want to get voted off...She's not cut out for this and she seems to be draining...she even seems to have lost interest in her trademark "woe is me" because it's getting less credible (to the dumb segment of the audience of AI) and more obvious. Hopefully voters will see through it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Broadcast Media”