2021 Grammy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Re: 2021 Grammy Awards

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

MaxWilder wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Strokes win their first ever.
I was around for Strokes-mania in 2001. Are they officially Dad Rock now?
I am the father of one, expecting a second child... so I guess they are.

To each his own, but leaving our personal taste aside, Swift victory was almost unavoidable when they failed to nominate Apple's album (the absolute best of the year), not to mention the weird situation with The Weeknd.

Now, Swift is up there with Sinatra, Stevie Wonder and Paul Simon as the performing artist with more Grammy Awards for Album of the Year (three).

As for Record of the Year, this was really a head-scratcher from the get go. Once again, the omission of The Weeknd was absolutely unexpected, because he was heavily considered the favorite to win this award as early as Blinding Lights topped the charts last year. The final list of nominees was a showcase of "anyone can pull this one out". I thought Beyonce had a real chance here considering her previous nominations and how strong her heavy showing was (and Black Parade, in terms of production, is no without merits). But then again, Dua Lipa and Doja Cat were the representatives of the "sound of the year" so I thought maybe it was a battle between them. My favorite out of the nominees was Circles, by Post Malone, but I kinda knew he had little to no chance of winning. But Billie Eilish (along with her brother) is one of the most interesting artists working right now, and her winning record is far from a shameful winning song: there's a quality to it that is hard to define, its minimalistic arrangement is very addictive and it is a song that I can see myself listening in years to come more than any of the other nominees, some of which can become quite easily just a product of their time. As Swift, Eilish broke into a very select group, that of artists that have won Record of the Year in two consecutive years. Before Eilish, Roberta Flack and U2 were the only acts to achieve this feat.
MaxWilder wrote:And yet they gave album of the year to Taylor Swift’s sweatercore, vol. 1 and record of the year to a nonexistent Billie Eilish song that she was actually embarrassed to win for.
And I do not think she was embarassed for winning for that song in particular, but just for winning. Period. Her landslide winning last year seemed to be a little too much for her (she was evdently annoyed by the end of that night).
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Dua Lipa’s album was the sound of 2020. And yet they gave album of the year to Taylor Swift’s sweatercore, vol. 1 and record of the year to a nonexistent Billie Eilish song that she was actually embarrassed to win for. I would have stayed irritated if Amanda Seyfried hadn’t been Oscar-nominated the next day. (I was fully resigned to a wasteful Jodie Foster nomination.)
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Strokes win their first ever.
I was around for Strokes-mania in 2001. Are they officially Dad Rock now?

P.S. Franz Ferdinand: hall-of-fame band name? I might just relive 2004-2005 today.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't follow music much. TBH, I've never even heard of half the Grammy nominees until I read them as Grammy nominees. I, too, am glad Fiona Apple won both her nominations. Her album is one of the finest works of art to come out in 2020.

I also have to say that I also liked Taylor Swift's and Dua Lipa's albums as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Personally, I couldn't care less about the Grammys, didn't even realize they were on last night, but, sure, if anyone wants to weigh in, they should do so.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

2021 Grammy Awards

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Do we dare weigh in on these awards? I don't have cable at the moment and couldn't be bothered to stream it or however a Canadian might access it, but thoughts? Taylor with a third Album of the Year; Billie Eilish with a B2B Record of the Year; Fiona finally wins after 23 years; Strokes win their first ever.

Return to “Broadcast Media”