2020 Emmy Awards

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Okri
Tenured

Re: 2020 Emmy Awards

Post by Okri »

Sabin, how long did you take to watch it? And this might be presumptious, but what did you think of the graphic novel?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

From what I understand, the voting period was much shorter than normal, meaning there wasn't time for voters to see all of the programs. That said, if limited series are the same as regular series, the actor (or their representative or their studio) chooses one episode to submit for consideration. It's where the concept of the Emmy Episode came from. For example, Helen Hunt was submitted for one season of Mad About You for the episode in which she gives birth. That's a fairly commonplace submission at the Emmys for comedy.

Of all the happiness I feel over Schitt's Creek's nominations, I'm even more happy for D'arcy Carden finally getting a nomination for The Good Place. She's been the best performer on that show since the beginning and it's nice to finally see her recognized, even if it's a bit late.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The real question is whether or not Regina King will win. I haven't seen enough of the other projects (yet) to say if she will but my hunch is that she won't for the wrong reasons. Her performance is too strong, shouldering... she spends (in some ways) the second half of the series reactive or submersed. This role already feels iconic, I can already see outrage when she loses, but even without seeing Mrs. America (and Cate Blanchett's first nomination), I can just very easily see voters using Best Actress as a way to honor that series as a whole. I can't ignore the fact that supervillains (Phyllis Schlafly) are so much more fun than superheroes (Sister Night).
It’s a shame that Sarah Paulson is not nominated because she really gives the best performance of the series. I wonder if voters bothered to see all 9 episodes because she really shines in episode 8. I still haven’t seen Watchmen but Blanchett deserves an Emmy just for the final minute of Mrs America.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just watched Watchmen. I have a lot of complicated thoughts about it. I found the pacing of it to be annoyingly side-steppy, although a case could be made that it would play better in a non-binging capacity and that because it's simultaneously interested in being a sequel, a reboot, a remake, canon, and non-canon that I never quite felt rooted in the story because it was always everything and nothing at the same time. In a pre-Trump/quarantine/BLM world, I would wonder if anyone could feel invested in this series. However, how could they not be with the tragic origin story of Hooded Justice, with the emotional (and penultimate episode) re-origining of Dr. Manhattan? I can't shake the feeling that this is a series more interested in ideas than interpersonal drama, especially considering that it starts off as a pilot that shows no interest in re-contextualizing its source material and ends up... well, not a slave to it, but a master to it? I found its approach remarkable in subject matter (in the idea that a uniting false flag operation is fundamentally white supremacist because it doens't take racism into account) but slightly disingenuous in execution because... well, it's still pretty nerdy, isn't it? Still the Hooded Justice episode just floored me.

I think it's clearly going to win Limited Series, Writing, and probably Directing (because the Hooded Justice episode is too powerful for even a Lynn Shelton posthumous win). Will it win any acting awards? Irons is too silly (and a leading nomination is ridiculous). My gut tells me that the supporting actors will cancel out. Gossett, Jr. might have the best chance but his motivations are mysterious for just too long and it never entirely feels like he's playing who he is playing. He feels disconnected. Jean Smart might represent the best chance but that's because she feels like a cameo from a world that's having a better time. Still, I wonder if they'll just utilize that category to honor a different project.

The real question is whether or not Regina King will win. I haven't seen enough of the other projects (yet) to say if she will but my hunch is that she won't for the wrong reasons. Her performance is too strong, shouldering... she spends (in some ways) the second half of the series reactive or submersed. This role already feels iconic, I can already see outrage when she loses, but even without seeing Mrs. America (and Cate Blanchett's first nomination), I can just very easily see voters using Best Actress as a way to honor that series as a whole. I can't ignore the fact that supervillains (Phyllis Schlafly) are so much more fun than superheroes (Sister Night).
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
I agree that Succession is probably the one to beat in Drama Series, but Brian Cox seems like one of the last things people talk about when they talk about that show. I think Cox definitely can win, but I think Jeremy Strong might be able to pull off the win here. And honestly someone like Carell wouldn't be surprising either--he's playing against type, and he's definitely doing a lot of acting.
You might be right. Certainly Steve Carell deserves an Emmy for something. I just honestly wonder who The Morning Show honestly is for. I suppose "Emmy voter" would be at the top of that list.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I've watched so few of the things nominated this year, I'm at a position of extreme ignorance, even more than normal. The only show I watched regularly this season was Survivor, which had one terrible installment with a very good winner in the fall, and one very good installment with an all-time great winner in the spring.

Glad to see Paul Mescal get nominated for Normal People, though. One of the best performances I've seen on TV or film in quite awhile.

Strangest nomination: Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins for Cinematography for Apollo 11?!?!?!?

Tough day for Reese Witherspoon: Three shows she produced and starred got nominations this year, and she didn't get a single nomination for any of her performances, although she will have a nomination for producing Little Fires Everywhere.
Sabin wrote:On the Drama side, Succession seems to have this one and Brian Cox is probably one of the best bets of the night for Best Actor.
I agree that Succession is probably the one to beat in Drama Series, but Brian Cox seems like one of the last things people talk about when they talk about that show. I think Cox definitely can win, but I think Jeremy Strong might be able to pull off the win here. And honestly someone like Carell wouldn't be surprising either--he's playing against type, and he's definitely doing a lot of acting.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Mrs America is worth a watch although the first four episodes are rather lame. Just noticed that Sarah Paulson was not nominated for it. I think she gave the best performance of the series.

Unorthodox is also very good.

Although not a miniseries I can’t stop recommending Succession, Dead to Me and The Kominsky Method.

The Great is also very interesting. Written by the same writers of The Favourite it’s really worth the watch.

Hollywood is dreadful
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:I rarely watch any of the sitcoms or drama series but like to watch the Limited series/Movies. Of this year's nominees I have only seen Hollywood. Almost all are readily available to watch and will be watching them soon.

What are your views on the nominees? Any special recommendations?
I've only seen Bad Education and wholeheartedly recommend it.

I've never cared for Hugh Jackman whom I've always found to have a very limited range so I was taken aback by how brilliant he is in Bad Education. The film was actually made for the big-screen but when it premiered at the Toronto Film Festival last year HBO out bided all he film distributors so it went straight to the small screen.

The film is very cinematic and Hugh Jackman would have deserved an Oscar nomination for his career best performance.

Have to admit I'm not that interested in any of the other titles nominated. I've heard nothing but bad things about Hollywood and I generally find most things associated with Ryan Murphy to be pretty terrible (American Horror Story Series One being the exception - though I still haven't gotten around the others).

Having said all that I believe Mrs. America & Unorthodox are very well regarded but personally I'm really picky when it comes to watching television/streaming content. There is just too much too choose from.

Given cinema is on it's last legs I'll probably start watch more small screen content.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I rarely watch any of the sitcoms or drama series but like to watch the Limited series/Movies. Of this year's nominees I have only seen Hollywood. Almost all are readily available to watch and will be watching them soon.

What are your views on the nominees? Any special recommendations?

Limited Series

“Little Fires Everywhere” (Hulu)
“Mrs. America” (Hulu)
“Unbelievable” (Netflix)
“Unorthodox” (Netflix)
“Watchmen” (HBO)

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

Jeremy Irons (“Watchmen”)
Hugh Jackman (“Bad Education”)
Paul Mescal (“Normal People”)
Jeremy Pope (“Hollywood”)
Mark Ruffalo (“I Know This Much Is True”)

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie

Cate Blanchett (“Mrs. America”)
Shira Haas (“Unorthodox”)
Regina King (“Watchmen”)
Octavia Spencer (“Self Made”)
Kerry Washington (“Little Fires Everywhere”)

Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

Dylan McDermott (“Hollywood”)
Jim Parsons (“Hollywood”)
Tituss Burgess (“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend”)
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (“Watchmen”)
Jovan Adepo (“Watchmen”)
Louis Gossett Jr. (“Watchmen”)

Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie

Holland Taylor (“Hollywood”)
Uzo Aduba (“Mrs. America”)
Margo Martindale (“Mrs. America”)
Tracey Ullman (“Mrs. America”)
Toni Collette (“Unbelievable”)
Jean Smart (“Watchmen”)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Considering these might be the only predictions we get to make this year. Full disclosure: this has been an impossibly busy year for me so I'm not remotely caught up. I plan on doing so over the next two weeks as I finally have some vacation time.

Everyone I know is obsessed with Schitt's Creek. I think it could win a lot. It's been very meaningful comfort food during the past year while also delivering uplifting, meaningful stories. I'd be so amazed if it lost. I'm torn between Ramy Yousef and Eugene Levy for Best Actor. Ramy was a breakout star (also Ali is nominated), but the series itself wasn't nominated and I could see a lot of older voters just voting a straight Schitt's Creek ticket. Also, Levy is an industry vet who hasn't won since the SCTV days. Catherine O'Hara will probably win over Rachel Brosnahan and Issa Rae. Dead To Me had a good showing but I think the actresses will likely cancel. I sure hope William Jackson Harper wins for Best Supporting Actor. Chidi is such a wonderful character. I don't have a handle on this race. I think Mahershala Ali probably makes the most sense because he's such a high profile actor on a major winning streak but I'm not sure about how much they love Ramy as a series. Right now, I'd pick Dan Levy. Likewise, Annie Murphy seems like a sure thing for Best Supporting Actress. Obsession over her character Alex is at an all-time high. There are supercuts of her saying "David" everywhere as well as lengthy breakdowns of her song "A Little Bit Alexis" (okay, let's calm down). I could really see a world where the whole cast wins.

On the Drama side, Succession seems to have this one and Brian Cox is probably one of the best bets of the night for Best Actor. I've always been a little skeptical of Jennifer Aniston and The Morning Show's chances going into the ceremony. I think they might give it to Olivia Colman or Laura Linney. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think Matthew Macfadyen and Sarah Snook could take supporting as well. I guess Meryl Streep has to be considered some kind of favorite for Big Little Lies but season 2 was by all accounts a ruinous dumpster fire.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Really liked The Kominsky Method as well
Jefforey Smith
Graduate

Post by Jefforey Smith »

Schitt's Creek...YES!!!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Schitt's Creek is a terrific show and all of the actors deserved their nominations. I'm glad the Emmys finally discovered the film, even if it was way too late.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Kellens101
Temp

Post by Kellens101 »

I really do not get the snubs for Odenkirk and Seehorn, especially the former since he has been nominated 4 other times already. At least they nominated it for Best Drama Series though. I believe that this was Better Call Saul’s Best season yet, which is incredibly impressive considering it’s a great show. Both Odenkirk and Seehorn are phenomenal and gave their best performances as well this season. I don’t really understand the only acting nom to be Giancarlo Esposito as I didn’t think he had that much to do, especially compared to supporting actor standout Tony Dalton, the always-reliable Jonathan Banks and the underrated Michael Mando. I was pleased to see shows/miniseries like Watchmen, Unbelievable, the Good Place, What We Do in the Shadows and Succession all get their due. But even those had some bizarre omissions, such as Kaitlyn Dever, Merritt Wever, and Tim Blake Nelson all being overlooked. I wish Better Things had been nominated for Best Comedy and Pamela Adlon for Lead Actress, as I find that show to be so consistently lovely and rewarding in unique ways. I know it was completely under the radar of everyone, including Emmy Voters, but I believe The Deuce should’ve been nominated for Best Drama and it should’ve gotten farewell nominations for Maggie Gyllenhaal, Emily Meade, Chris Coy and maybe James Franco. I was glad to see Billy Porter nominated again after his win last year, but I also wish Pose had gotten more nominations overall, for Best Drama and for Mj Rodriguez and Indya Moore.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Disappointed that Ben Platt wasn’t nominated for The Politician; he’s quite good in a complex role. Meanwhile they nominate some not-very-good actors (Daniel Levy, Billy Porter) in popular shows.

Return to “Broadcast Media”