The Handmaid's Tale (2017)

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The Handmaid's Tale (2017)

Post by Precious Doll »

I've just finishing watching Season 3 and was rather disappointed.

For some reason I didn't comment on this thread about Season 2 which I did watch 12 months ago though it does feel like only yesterday that I watched it.

I thought the second series was an improvement on the first. Briefly, it had great narrative drive and fleshed out all the characters this time really well and finished with a powerful conclusion to be continued. There was no padding this time round and it packed in a lot and plenty of gut punches along the way.

Season 3 is rather problematic. Firstly, there is virtually zero narrative movement and most of the episodes are like extending mini dramas that could have been condensed. The only exciting moment was the end of the episode 11 (if you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about) and a scene at the end of one of the episodes that takes place in a shop that was brilliantly executed. I have mixed feelings on Aunt Lydia's flashback which goes some way to explain how she got to where she is in the series. Great to see Ann Dowd get to move into a different gear and do a backstory but its conclusion was a tad simplistic - nothing worse than a woman scorned (in her eyes) basically.

Way too many scenes of Elizabeth Moss grinning away like a maniac at times. Acting honours in this series clearly lay with Bradley Whitford who plays one of the primary architects of Gilead harbouring some serious doubts and a mentally unstable wife.

Still despite my disappointment with series three I'm up for series four. There is plenty of potential for the series to lift its game and its second to last scene was extremely moving.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Uri wrote:The biggest problem with it was the decision to go politically correct, and to eliminate the racial aspect of the book. This United-Colors-of-Benetton approach to tyranny and oppression is so wrong – misogyny and racism are fundamentally linked. I know that this color-blind take allow for more jobs for black actors - which is fine – but it heavily distorted this piece. Other than that, it a respectable show with a lot to be praised.
You've confirmed what I suspected. I haven't read the book but figured that a view of the future from the book (written in the 1980s) would have some stark differences from a view of the same future from a 2017 perspective and that the issue of race may very well have been one the changes.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The biggest problem with it was the decision to go politically correct, and to eliminate the racial aspect of the book. This United-Colors-of-Benetton approach to tyranny and oppression is so wrong – misogyny and racism are fundamentally linked. I know that this color-blind take allow for more jobs for black actors - which is fine – but it heavily distorted this piece. Other than that, it a respectable show with a lot to be praised.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

The Handmaid's Tale (2017)

Post by Precious Doll »

Has anyone seen this? If so, what did you think?

I have watched it over the past week and despite some misgivings really liked the show.

The negatives/mixed: it was overlong. It could have been cut down to 8 episodes. Episode 7 could have been trimmed to five to ten minutes and likewise episode 8. It was slow to get started put thankfully picked up. I was conflicted on the use of flashbacks. Some of them were very interesting, in particular the Waterford's & Nick but there was too much of June and her hubby and best friend (episode 7 being a case in point). The three primary male characters are all problematic. Luke (O-T Fagbenle) was too good to be true. Joseph Fiennes must be one of the least charismatic actors working today. No wonder he hasn't had the career that brother Ralph has had. Fred is just so bland and needed an actor who was capable of bringing more shading to the role. Like Ralph could have. Max Minghella as the driver Nick had more to work with than the other two and just the right amount of back story to fit into the current events.

The pulses: the women. Across the board fantastic performances from Elizabeth Moss, Yvonne Strahovski, Madeline Brewer, Ann Dowd, Alexis Bledel, Samira Wiley, Amanda Brugel & Nina Kiri. Just wow, wow, wow. Every line, movement and expression delivered to perfection by all them. I have to give a special mention to Ann Down as Aunt Lydia. What could have been a broad caricature (see Allison Janney in I, Tonya) is instead a performance of at times genuine humanity and even a sense of empathy, despite the cruelty and pain she inflicts on the handmaids. Her exchanges with Janine (Madeline Brewer) were heartbreaking, most notably at the 'party' scene. Inner conflict and contradictions of the characters helps makes this a most interesting study of the flaws in human nature.

The series was also well updated to a version of the near future from a 2017 perspective and felt very timely given the current administration in the U.S. One could really imagine something like this happening in the U.S. in the next 10 years and I suspect this was part of the reason for its success - it felt so contemporary and timely. I also thought the views and actions of Canada and Mexico complemented those with regime beautifully.

Though I don't think it needs a series two, there is potential with a continuation of the story, though some things are better left unresolved. I'll just have to wait for season two to decide if season one was really enough.

Return to “Broadcast Media”