Mare of Easttown

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Mare of Easttown

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:But, Jesus Christ, there were just so many melodramatic plot elements piled on top of one another -- Mare has to have both a father and son who killed themselves, a lesbian daughter, a kid with worrisome tics, an ex-husband who's a suspect...and that's just her family. The Ross clan has more skeletons hanging around than the House of Atreus...the love interest has to have a busted marriage and a child he never sees...the new priest has to be fleeing a child molestation charge...on and on (I've probably forgotten a few). There are enough scandals in this town for three seasons of Peyton Place.
Once upon a time all these Peyton Place-like melodramatic moments were there for the sensational aspect. Today writers put everything and the kitchen sink into scripts so that nobody gets a platform to shout foul. Everyone wants representation in every project it seems - African-Americans, LGBTQ, Asians (the recent version of Cinderella is an example). It's become so hysterical that it seems writers must even add abusive men & women, paedophiles, suicides, children with ailments just to shut them up lest they too protest. Projects are getting far too over baked.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote: There's another actor who I think deserves a nomination I will not mention here because it might be spoiler-y but if this person SOMEHOW also gets nominated, Mare might be taking away the Limited Series Emmy from The Queen's Gambit as well.
I'm curious who you meant by this. Evan Peters is the person unmentioned in Magilla's post who managed a nomination, though I don't get that there's much spoiler-y about his citation. He brought wonderfully unexpected comic tones to his character; I really liked his contribution.
I'm pretty sure he meant Cameron Mann, the kid who plays Juliette Nicholson's son. The unnamed player I referred to was indeed Evan Peters whose nomination shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

anonymous1980 wrote: There's another actor who I think deserves a nomination I will not mention here because it might be spoiler-y but if this person SOMEHOW also gets nominated, Mare might be taking away the Limited Series Emmy from The Queen's Gambit as well.
I'm curious who you meant by this. Evan Peters is the person unmentioned in Magilla's post who managed a nomination, though I don't get that there's much spoiler-y about his citation. He brought wonderfully unexpected comic tones to his character; I really liked his contribution.

As for the show overall (yes, I got to it late, this past week): it's certainly absorbing, extremely well-acted, with lots of MAGA-land atmosphere, and some sense of how small towns are different from any other part of America. (The best joke was when Mare introduced the priest as her cousin, and Zabel asked "Is there anyone around you're not related to?") But, Jesus Christ, there were just so many melodramatic plot elements piled on top of one another -- Mare has to have both a father and son who killed themselves, a lesbian daughter, a grand-kid with worrisome tics, an ex-husband who's a suspect...and that's just her family. The Ross clan has more skeletons hanging around than the House of Atreus...the love interest has to have a busted marriage and a child he never sees...the new priest has to be fleeing a child molestation charge...on and on (I've probably forgotten a few). There are enough scandals in this town for three seasons of Peyton Place. As I say, I stayed with it, anyway, and more or less enjoyed the double-triple-reverses of the last episode or two (and the great work of Winslet and Julianne NIcholson in those scenes). But I can't say I took it seriously in the end.

I did have the surprise of seeing my friend Phyllis Somerville in her last role filmed prior to her death last year. It reminded me how much I miss her being in the world.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Just finished it. Wow. That was great. One of the things I have to say I loved about it is that you actually CARE about the characters as much as you care about the murder mystery. Sometimes even more so. Some murder mysteries when they try to do character stuff, you get bored and you just want them to get back to the mystery. But the writing and acting in this is so good, everything is compelling.

I love Anya Taylor-Joy but I wouldn't be mad at all if Kate Winslet wins her second Emmy for this. Jean Smart and Julianne Nicholson also rightly deserve nominations. There's another actor who I think deserves a nomination I will not mention here because it might be spoiler-y but if this person SOMEHOW also gets nominated, Mare might be taking away the Limited Series Emmy from The Queen's Gambit as well.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Mare of Easttown

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting piece on the final episode of Mare of Easttown. It contains major spoilers so do not read if you haven't seen it.

That episode confirms the Emmy likelihood of Kate Winslet and Jean Smart but also makes a strong case for Emmy consideration for another player who really shines in this episode.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/columns/mar ... 234983273/

Return to “Broadcast Media”