Holder asks Americans to turn in neighbors who...

Dien
Graduate

Re: Holder asks Americans to turn in neighbors who...

Post by Dien »

OscarGuy wrote:Sorry, Greg, not an option. I listen to my music on my computer at home and also on my phone. Their concerns over piracy really aren't as big as they play them out to be. Who hasn't loaned a CD to a friend to burn a copy? It's common practice.
Or to go back further, recorded a song on tape instead of buying the single? Bootlegs have existed for decades. A lot of the popular bands that rally against pirating are the same who got their start because fans were passing the music around.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sorry, Greg, not an option. I listen to my music on my computer at home and also on my phone. Their concerns over piracy really aren't as big as they play them out to be. Who hasn't loaned a CD to a friend to burn a copy? It's common practice.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

That could work.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Another sloution that could work for music is that you could pay to download a song on, say, your iPhone and listen to it as many times as you wish; but, the song would scramble whenever you would try to send it from your iPhone to anywhere else.
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

For movies, I don't see that being a problem. They already have On-Demand and Pay-Per-View services, as well as Netflix, but I still don't agree with the music bit. I like having it readily available.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

That would not be a problem for movies. For songs, you could download a song at something like 10 cents for 10 hearings before the song scrambles.
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

Greg wrote:
Dien wrote:
Greg wrote:Wouldn't the best way to prevent illelgal downloading of movies and music be for the companies releasing the material to release them only on a pay-to-watch/listen basis whereby you could only pay to download the material on the Internet and watch it/listen to it at that time, but not download a copy that you could distribute?
This is way too restrictive.
How so?
First off, if you wanted to listen to it in your car or on your mp3 player while exercising you would be screwed. Then we're talking about draining money out of customer's pockets if there's a song they wanted to listen to 100 times over.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Dien wrote:
Greg wrote:Wouldn't the best way to prevent illelgal downloading of movies and music be for the companies releasing the material to release them only on a pay-to-watch/listen basis whereby you could only pay to download the material on the Internet and watch it/listen to it at that time, but not download a copy that you could distribute?
How so?
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Wouldn't the best way to prevent illelgal downloading of movies and music be for the companies releasing the material to release them only on a pay-to-watch/listen basis whereby you could only pay to download the material on the Internet and watch it/listen to it at that time, but not download a copy that you could distribute?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Big Magilla wrote:Attorney General Eric Holder has asked Americans to turn in neighbors they suspect of downloading music and movies illegally or ordering pharamaceuticals from Candian pharmacies.

I'm all for protectign intellectual property and bringing down the cost of drusg for everyone, but how is this different from the Nazis asking neighbors to report Jews in hiding? This is more insidious than anything the Nixon or Gerog W. regimes did.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/1 ... ip-terror/
Eric Holder has to go! It's one thing to hear "If you see something say something" at the train station, where a suspicious bag could contain a bomb, but this is a bad idea. Prosecute those who provide bootlegs on street corners or who are caught with recording equipment in theaters, etc. But "turn in your neighbors" is crazy.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

1: "Hey, neighbor!"

2: "...Hey, Bill... what's up?"

1: "Oh, nothing. Just seeing what you were up to. Working on your car, I see."

2: "...Yea."

1: "Kickin' jams you got playing. Is this a new CD?"

2: "It's my iPod..."

1: "Cool, cool. Where'd you get the music?"

2: "Go away, Bill."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oh no. My neighbor's a Communist! Better blacklist them!
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Holder asks Americans to turn in neighbors who...

Post by Big Magilla »

Attorney General Eric Holder has asked Americans to turn in neighbors they suspect of downloading music and movies illegally or ordering pharamaceuticals from Candian pharmacies.

I'm all for protectign intellectual property and bringing down the cost of drusg for everyone, but how is this different from the Nazis asking neighbors to report Jews in hiding? This is more insidious than anything the Nixon or Gerog W. regimes did.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/1 ... ip-terror/

Return to “Current Events”