Celebrities And Politics

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

When something is worth supporting...
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Don't YOU? You spend all your time protecting your corrupt, inept regime in Washington.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Don't you have some movies to watch?
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Hey guys! If you call him enough names he'll go home. He posted earlier that he was not ever going "to answer" me because I " bait " him. It's been two days and not a word. It is to laugh.
Was it Bugs who said: "What a maroon" ?
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Nuts?
When we were young and felt "mistreated" my mother used to say, sarcastically," Everybody's out of step except MY JOHNNY!"
I wonder why you spend so much time talking right-wing politics here--especially when you could go onto a much friendlier loony site to discuss your politics with others of your---ilk. You don't seem to be cognizant of the fact that after calling people "nuts" here and say you like them in the same breath is offensive. But then, your being here at all on this site is arguably offensive in itself.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Sometimes I think you people are just plain nuts. But it's hard not to like you anyway.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Nik wrote:Fine criddic, I'll put it in terms that conservatives can understand. You're a girly-man. And Mel Gibson is a flip-flopper.
ROTFLMAO, Nik!!! Funniest post of 2006 so far.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

criddic3 wrote:
-- Sonic Youth (an apt name for someone "going into explaining to a four-year old mode."

This is exactly what i said, only I was also assuming that you had a broader motive with the "independent thinker" quote. That is to imply that Gibson, and all others speaking out against Bush, are therefore independent and anyone who doesn't do so is not. I'm sure the sentiment is there, even if you didn't mean it explicitly.[/quote]

Heavens to Mercatroid! He JUST explained to you that's not what he meant, and he even gave compelling examples. You basically just reiterated the first point he already refuted. I think the 4 year old quip (while initially snide) is now VERY appropriate. "That's not what I said." "Yes it is! Yes it is!"

Or maybe more appropriate is the analogy of a sitcom housewife, which is what you've reduced this argument to. "It's not what you said Sonic. It's HOW you said it."

Fine criddic, I'll put it in terms that conservatives can understand. You're a girly-man. And Mel Gibson is a flip-flopper.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

As I go into my "explaining to a four year old" mode... a). Mel Gibson is a dedicated religious fundamentalist. b). Religious fundamentalists tend to gravitate towards the Republican party, and often the conservative wing of that party. c). Mel Gibson has spoken out against Bush and the war. d). By doing so, Mel Gibson has broken off from the majority opinion of religious fundamentalists. e). Thus, Mel Gibson is an independent thinker, declaring independence from the status quo of the theological movement he belongs to. Conclusion: 'Independent thinker' meaning 'independent from otherwise like-minded people.'
-- Sonic Youth (an apt name for someone "going into explaining to a four-year old mode."

This is exactly what i said, only I was also assuming that you had a broader motive with the "independent thinker" quote. That is to imply that Gibson, and all others speaking out against Bush, are therefore independent and anyone who doesn't do so is not. I'm sure the sentiment is there, even if you didn't mean it explicitly.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

As I go into my "explaining to a four year old" mode...

a). Mel Gibson is a dedicated religious fundamentalist.

b). Religious fundamentalists tend to gravitate towards the Republican party, and often the conservative wing of that party.

c). Mel Gibson has spoken out against Bush and the war.

d). By doing so, Mel Gibson has broken off from the majority opinion of religious fundamentalists.

e). Thus, Mel Gibson is an independent thinker, declaring independence from the status quo of the theological movement he belongs to.

Conclusion: 'Independent thinker' meaning 'independent from otherwise like-minded people.'

Bonus Socraticism:

a) Christopher Hitchens used to write for The Nation magazine; b) he still holds liberal opinions on many issues, mostly social ones; c) He is a staunch supporter of Bush and the war, and has quit his job from The Nation because of this conflict of interest; d) Christopher Hitchens is also an independent thinker.

I know exactly what I said, fella. I never once said "ANYONE" who is against Bush is an independent thinker. And you know it. That's why you said "That certainly LOOKS LIKE you're saying..." Looks like! Not "said". "LOOKS LIKE." Typical Criddic equivication. Anything can 'look like' anything you want it to, when you're looking with your lying eyes.

Maybe politicians can take their opponents quotes and twist them and distort them so that they will appear to mean something other than the original intent, and then get away with it. But you're never going to get away with using your dishonest tactics on me. OK, fibber?

If you don't like all these accusations I level on you, I have a solution. Just stop confronting me.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Wow...I mean WOW. Okay if even a right wing VERY socially conservative, fundamentally religious nutjob like Mel Gibson can see through Bush, maybe there IS hope for the upcoming elections and then 2008?

You've been looking at the polls, haven't you?

Even nutjobs can be independent thinkers.

Mel Gibson, depicted in the previous quote as a religious conservative "nutjob" who "can see through Bush," and you then say that such a nutjob can be independent thinking.

That certainly looks like you're saying anyone who opposes Bush in any way is an "independent thinker."

If I'm on a roll, you must be trying to compete, because you make statements like that all the time.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:I just love the concept that anyone who is against President Bush is an "independent thinker."
Of course, it's not what I said at all.

More misinterpretation. You're on a roll.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I just love the concept that anyone who is against President Bush is an "independent thinker."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Oh, by the way, I saw a blurb that said Robert Redford would appear on tonight's (6/12) Hardball with Chris Matthews to discuss his dismay with the direction the US is taking.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm surprised I didn't hear about this until now, but I have been quite busy lately (big changes coming up....); anyway, Cher, apparently quite the CSPAN fan, called them a few weeks ago (at least her second time, by my reckoning; and it was 4:30am in Malibu!!) to disparage the Bush administration and bring attention to Operation Helmet, a grass roots organization to raise money to purchase safer gear for our soldiers that, for some ungodly reason, the Pentagon won't provide.

Anyway, here's the call:

Cher call to CSPAN

And here's an article about her upcoming appearance on CSPAN and before a Congressional committee:

Cher and Operation Helmet Join Forces to Help American Soldiers
WASHINGTON, DC -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 06/12/2006 -- Cher has teamed up with Dr. Bob Meaders, founder and president of Operation-Helmet.org to help shed light on current problems with the existing helmets being used by members of the U.S. Military, it was announced today. The Oscar winning actress and singer has committed to working with Operation Helmet to upgrade existing helmets to protect troops against blasts and impact concussions that they face in bomb blasts and motor vehicle accidents. Many of the helmets, including the new Marine Corps lightweight helmet, were designed to protect primarily against bullets and explosive fragments.

Operation Helmet's Dr. Meaders will be appearing with Cher before the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Tactical Air and Land Forces at the request of Rep. Curt Weldon (PA-R) on Thursday, June 15th, 2006 at 3:00 ET. Dr. Meaders will provide first-hand testimony on the current helmet needs as expressed by our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines and their commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan. He will discuss the four major types of helmets in use in the military today and the positive effects and benefits of upgrading the current helmets by using a pad suspension system vs. a strap or sling suspension system. The pad suspension system provides troops with more stability, protection and comfort.

Dr. Meaders will also appear with Cher on C-Span on June 14th at 9:00 a.m. EDT

About Operation Helmet

Operation Helmet is a nonpartisan, charitable grassroots effort that provides helmet upgrade kits free of charge to U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. These helmet upgrade kits consist of shock-absorbing pads and a new strap system. Operation Helmet depends on tax-deductible donations. For $75-$100, depending on the manufacturer, added safety and comfort can be provided for a trooper. But donations of any amount are welcome. The donation can be designated for a specific branch of the military, a particular unit or an individual trooper. 100% of donations go toward helmet kits. There are no administrative costs deducted and the Operation's books are available for inspection by anyone who wants to see them. To date, Operation Helmet has sent upgrade kits to over 7,000 troops. For more information, see www.Operation-Helmet.org.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Current Events”