Re: New Developments III

Post by Sabin »

"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4387 ... democrats/

Wolf in charge of henhouse ate chickens.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sorry, Taki. I misunderstood what you wrote. Yes, if SCOTUS affirms the decision, it would be nationwide. That said, they are cowards and 3 of them are appointed by Trump himself. I can't imagine that the 3 of them and the two ultra-conservatives that preceded them will agree to allow Trump to be kicked off the ballot. They'll find a procedural reason to do it. And the Colorado decision was made by an all-Democrat-appointed state supreme court and I believe it was 3 of the Dem appointees disagreed with the judgment.

This would be all so much easier if he were a convicted insurrectionist. Then the courts would have no choice by to accept that concept.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I was watching some news yesterday and I heard someone say that Democrats and liberals are basically waiting for a manager to show up and ask Donald Trump to leave. I know that's reductive but that's the mindset. Like, no, no, eventually the manager will show up. Nobody can act like this forever. After all, this is a family-style restaurant. I don't want to be reductive towards the efforts that have been made both inside and outside of government to stop this guy. These are high-stress, high-researched jobs tackled by people who are a lot smarter than me. If SCOTUS does this, then they will be the manager we have been waiting for. My opinion? I don't know what's going to happen in the coming year. I don't have a good feeling about things in general (as I've expressed) but I just don't think a manager is coming.

Someone tell me how I'm wrong. I recall Tee writing that woe-is-mee-ing liberals thought Nixon would be President for life right up until the day before he resigned.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

OscarGuy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:21 am No. Any state where the Republicans out number the Democrats on the state supreme courts will not disqualify. I believe Minnesota has already decreed that he is not disqualified, so there are two states with differing results.

If SCOTUS rules that Trump should be disqualified there is no way in hell any state court will just ignore its decision. Whether a person is typically (dis)qualified or not to become president is a federal issue and will be decided based on the federal constitution. Minnesota and other state supreme courts punted on technicalities exactly because they are waiting the Supremes for guidance.
This isn't like Dobbs where they kicked the issue back to the states.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

taki15 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:27 am
Sonic Youth wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:37 pm
gunnar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:07 pm I doubt if the Supreme Court will uphold this ruling,
And it's not like he was gonna win Colorado anyway.

Sideshow.
That's a bizarre way to trivialize this case.
Not in this country, it isn't. You should see how others are dismissing it. Nobody believes anything will come of it.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

No. Any state where the Republicans out number the Democrats on the state supreme courts will not disqualify. I believe Minnesota has already decreed that he is not disqualified, so there are two states with differing results.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Sonic Youth wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:37 pm
gunnar wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:07 pm I doubt if the Supreme Court will uphold this ruling,

Sideshow.
That's a bizarre way to trivialize this case. In the unlikely scenario that SCOTUS lets the Colorado ruling stand then it's guaranteed that Trump will be disqualified from the other 49 states' ballots too.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sideshow.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

I doubt if the Supreme Court will uphold this ruling, but it is interesting.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/19/politics ... id=ios_app

Pretty big news. Has to be unprecedented, right?
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Greg wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:05 pm I saw excerpts from the most recent Republican Presidential debate on YouTube. These debates don't need moderators; they need kindergarten teachers.
I was in Tuscaloosa for a conference Tuesday and Wednesday, and when I say that debate inconvenienced every person in that town, I mean it. It was held in the building right beside the conference center I was in; the parking deck for the conference center had to be closed for 24+ hours, major roads in the middle of Tuscaloosa had to be shut down (and the University is right in the middle of the city). DeSantis' team was staying at the hotel I was at, or at least I assume they were: lots of big black SUV's with Florida tags were out there in the parking lot.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
I saw excerpts from the most recent Republican Presidential debate on YouTube. These debates don't need moderators; they need kindergarten teachers.
They also need the words "Presidential" Debate in quotation marks. Not for how un-Presidential they are but for what a kiddie table this is.

I'm reading a book called Birchers about the history of the JBS and it's just remarkable how much JBS BS tension this party still has -- and has been overtaken by.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I saw excerpts from the most recent Republican Presidential debate on YouTube. These debates don't need moderators; they need kindergarten teachers.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

and it would be "backed by the Koch Brother" since one of them is dead...we can only hope the other kicks the bucket soon and their children aren't giant penises like Trump's kids are.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Current Events”