New Developments III

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: New Developments III

Post by Big Magilla »

The news keep coming out on CNN and NSNBC.

This just getting bigger.

Both the FBI and NYPD passed information about potential violence on to the Capitol Police, which was ignored.

The FBI says it visited some of the people involved in chatter that they were watching for other reasons, persuading them not to go to Washington.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Republicans who have called on Trump to resign:
Lisa Murkowski
Pat Toomey

Ben Sasse said he is open to it
Mitt Romney almost certainly will support.

We need twelve more.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

As more facts are coming to light, it's astonishing that this wasn't worse.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
I can't begin to describe how disgusted I feel by all this. But the good news is, this president is ending his term utterly disgraced, which is what we all wished for.
It all comes full circle. He basically launched his campaign as a Twitter troll inciting violence and now he's kicked off of Twitter and he likely going to be prosecuted for inciting violence. I have never in my life been more angry at the actions of somebody while appreciating the irony. It's been five goddamn years of this clown every minute of every day. We are owed a comeuppance in the history books if not the public square and here it is.

2015-16 feels like such a long, long time ago. But there was a moment in time where it was possible one could make the argument that Donald Trump was entertaining. He may have started his campaign on out-racism (the first major candidate to do it since who? George Wallace?) but he would shame on his fellow GOP in a spectacle nobody had ever seen before so it was understandable if not forgivable that his campaign became Must See TV. Then he started inciting violence. Yes, it should have been his "Build the Wall" speech but the first collective "Uh-Oh" was the crowd violence. It now seems so tame but there was also the moment during the summer where he inferred that maybe some Second Amendment nut should take out Hillary Clinton. This all seems mild to where we are now.

But here we are. De-platformed. Impeachment on Monday. Likely followed by police charges to incite a riot. The full-circleness of this all is remarkable.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Whether we feel sorry for them or not, we can't lose sight that their deaths should be a cause for outrage from everybody. The president's irresponsible, reckless actions and behavior has led to several unnecessary, preventable deaths of his own citizens. He must be punished. Maybe we don't feel sympathy, but I know we still want justice for their deaths... which proves we care for them more than Hawley and Cruz apparently do.

I can't begin to describe how disgusted I feel by all this. But the good news is, this president is ending his term utterly disgraced, which is what we all wished for.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:The only person on this list I even remotely feel sorry for is the woman who was trampled to death. That is only a modicum of sympathy because she shouldn't have been there in the first place, but of all the people mentioned, she was the only one who was a victim of forces not of her own devising. If she'd been shot by police or put in prison, I would have no sympathy for her.
I feel bad for the circumstances of her death, but although this was her first time at a Trump rally, she was nuttier than a fruitcake like the other three insurrectionists who perished at the scene.

https://apnews.com/article/election-202 ... 76ce527ab4

As horrible as these people are, it's those who know better who exploit them that are the worst, starting, of course, with Trump himself.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

House Democrats will introduce Article of Impeachment against Trump on Monday, Rep. Ted Lieu announces

https://www.radio.com/1010wins/news/pol ... -announces

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- House Democrats will introduce the Article of Impeachment against President Trump on Monday, California congressman Ted Lieu announced Saturday afternoon. (Read the entire Article of Impeachment below.)

"We’ve just hit 180 cosponsors of the Article of Impeachment drafted by Rep @davidcicilline, @RepRaskin, me and @HouseJudiciary staff," Lieu tweeted Saturday afternoon. "We will introduce the Article of Impeachment this Monday during the House’s pro forma session.

Democrats began laying out plans Friday for impeaching Trump, circulating a draft of a new impeachment resolution against him with one article of impeachment, "incitement of insurrection."

White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere slammed the prospect of impeachment, saying, "As President Trump said yesterday, this is a time for healing and unity as one Nation. A politically motivated impeachment against a President with 12 days remaining in his term will only serve to further divide our great country."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said during a conference call Friday, “We must take action.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Big Magilla wrote:The Twittter discussion is on MSNBC now. Chatter was heard between insurrectionists in the capitol. They were looking for Pence to either take him hostage or kill him there for being a traitor to Trump similar to what had been planned for the governor of Michigan.

Impeachment is on the fast track. Articles will be introduced on Monday, voted on by the House on Tuesday and the Senate on Wednesday where it will be limited to just one hour of debate followed by the vote. Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday - OUT.
The Senate is out of session and it's doubtful that McConnell will reconvene it to hold a trial.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Twittter discussion is on MSNBC now. Chatter was heard between insurrectionists in the capitol. They were looking for Pence to either take him hostage or kill him there for being a traitor to Trump similar to what had been planned for the governor of Michigan.

Impeachment is on the fast track. Articles will be introduced on Monday, voted on by the House on Tuesday and the Senate on Wednesday where it will be limited to just one hour of debate followed by the vote. Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday - OUT.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

mlrg wrote
You’re welcome.

Three months ago I decided to close my Facebook account. Man, it feels refreshing no to be constantly bombarded with shitty news, comments and advertising. Highly recommended.
Oh, I permanently deleted mine earlier this year. It's garbage. I think some of the susceptibility on my part is the undeniable fact that this guy is capable of literally anything. But thank you for correcting me. I passed that link along to everyone I spoke to about it today.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

mlrg wrote:
Sabin wrote:Trump just joined Parler. This could go... a lot of different ways but one thing is certain: we now officially have an alternate reality social media platform.
Nope. He did not https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN29C2KU
He just got banned from Twitter, so I guess it's a matter of time now.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:Thank you
You’re welcome.

Three months ago I decided to close my Facebook account. Man, it feels refreshing no to be constantly bombarded with shitty news, comments and advertising. Highly recommended.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Thank you
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:Trump just joined Parler. This could go... a lot of different ways but one thing is certain: we now officially have an alternate reality social media platform.
Nope. He did not https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN29C2KU
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okay, we're getting some nibbles. Not sure if we'll hit 16 GOP Senators but... maybe Harris won't have to break so many ties after all.

https://www.adn.com/politics/2021/01/08 ... epublican/
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”