Osama Bin Laden Killed

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Italiano, we all know that your responses are typical. Anything that even remotely sounds jubilant you take as some justification to rant against the U.S.

I have never said I agreed with capital punishment, but do you really think it was going to be possible to capture bin Laden? He was always going to be defended and I highly doubt he would have let himself be captured. The soldiers defending themselves against those who fired upon them. That bin Laden was among the dead has no bearing on the matter.

And had he been captured and not killed, you would have found some other reason to attack the U.S. and its operation.

I do not rejoice in his death, but in the fact that this is an end to a decade-long struggle to bring the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks to justice. Whether he was captured or killed does not matter as the end result is the same. A ruthless, sociopath bent on the destruction of those who did not share his ideology is removed. He will not be the last, but he is a major figurehead. His death will send shock waves through Al Qaeda.

Will that stop them? No. Will there be more attacks? Certainly. But for this one shining moment in time, the U.S., after 9 years of bloody war and conflict partially brought about by the attacks of 9/11, has reached its climax. It is a victory in the battle, but not the war and I see no reason anyone should be denied the satisfaction of celebrating.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Reza wrote:I think Americans need to look beyond the two great ''atrocities''...............Pearl Harbor & 9/11.
Exactly Reza. They can only think in terms of what happened in their own land and against them (conveniently forgetting what they have done and still do to other lands, against other peoples). I hope - I'm sure actually - that there are Americans who can have a larger view of things and of history, but my God, when one looks at most of the posts by Americans in this thread (and they are all well-educated by the way) one realizes that there will still be many, many mistakes in the future.
Bin Laden was responsible for killing more than 50,000 Muslims, but yes, the American jubilation, if that what it is, is over the death of the architect of 9/11.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't think all this dancing in the streets is elation over one man's death but rather the symbolic notion that his death means closure to the events of 9/11 and renewed optimism that the troops can come home now.
Well, the vast majority of Americans who were killed and injured in Iraq were all killed and injured after Saddam Hussein was captured. Likewise, I think the killing of Osama bin Laden will have no noticeable impact on the United States presence in Afghanistan.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:I think Americans need to look beyond the two great ''atrocities''...............Pearl Harbor & 9/11.
Exactly Reza. They can only think in terms of what happened in their own land and against them (conveniently forgetting what they have done and still do to other lands, against other peoples). I hope - I'm sure actually - that there are Americans who can have a larger view of things and of history, but my God, when one looks at most of the posts by Americans in this thread (and they are all well-educated by the way) one realizes that there will still be many, many mistakes in the future.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

MovieWes - I said: in the context of history. Study history (not only American history) and you will see that I am right.

Sonic Youth, Oscar Guy... your reactions are so typical and so childish. Yes, I ruined your moment of happiness, I know. But for example, Oscar Guy, instead of insulting me and calling me a troll, please tell: where am I wrong? This is what we do in Europe. We reply with RATIONAL IDEAS. I'm anxiously waiting for yours.

(Franco Frattini is an idiot. There are Italian idiots too - especially among those who are desperately pro-American).

And I have to say thank you to Damien for proving that I am wrong - that not all Americans are crazy or stupid.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:In the context of history September 11 is a minor, very minor atrocity. This can't be said in the US, but it's a fact. Showy, admittedly, but minor. Much worse things have been committed - some, but even this can't be said in the US, by the US themselves.
This is so true.

I think Americans need to look beyond the two great ''atrocities''...............Pearl Harbor & 9/11.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Bin Laden himself had been out of the loop and apparently living in luxury in his walled compound in Pakistan for the last six years.

If this is indeed true, do you really think the American Government was not aware of this all along........or the Pakistani Government and Intelligence agencies for that matter? There was no way he was living where he was found without the knowledge of both Governments. The real question is why they allowed him to live there and why at this point in time he was exposed and killed.

Edited By Reza on 1304353294
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

My friend Alex's spin:
Four months after the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, U.S. military forces killed bin Laden.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ITALIANO wrote:Ok, he's been killed. I find all this joy from Americans quite barbarian, but I'm not surprised - it's understandable, I guess, in a country where death penalty is allowed and "eye for an eye" seems to be the rule (as even movies have taught us), as it is, I'm sorry to say this but it's a fact, in most uncivilized cultures.

So I can understand - if personally not agree with - the emotional side of all this. But according to the law shouldn't he have been taken prisoner and submitted to a trial - an American or more probably international trial, as his crimes have been international? And I'm not saying this only from a moral point of view - it would have helped us to understand more about Al Qaeda and its ramifications, which still survive and will probably strike again.

Because what Americans will never understand it's that it's not about individuals - it's about ideas.
Thanks, Marco. Those are my sentiments exactly. I strolled over to Times Square last night after hearing on the news that there were gatherings there. I was appalled at all these clowns shooting that obnoxious and arrogant "U-S-A! U-S-A!" chant, as if this was some sporting event. No wonder so many people around the world find this country arrogant. The reaction should have been much more sober-sided. And it would have been much better if he had been captured (oh, the humiliation!) I admit a feeling of relief, but was thinking maybe there's something wrong with me for not feeling jubilation. I was happy to see on Facebook that any number of my friends felt the same way.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote:Love MCN's headline:

OSAMA BIN LADEN, STAR OF CANNES-WINNING FAHRENHEIT 9/11 WAS 54; Death 8 Years to The Day After "Mission Accomplished, "56 Years After Hitler's
The headline, though, is in error - it was 66 years and 1 day from Hitler's death which occurred on April 30, 1945 and was announced on May 1, 1945.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's what Italian foreign Minister Franco Frattini was quoted to have said:

The foreign minister said "this is a great victory for the United States and for the entire international community" in the fight against terror.

"It is a victory made possible by the determination of the United States in their hunt against the one responsible for the most tragic episode at the beginning of this century, 9/11 and numerous other tragedies," he said. " A victory that rewards the efforts that all of us next to the United States have fought and continue to fight against terrorism. A victory of good against evil, of justice against malignancy. It is a victory of the free and democratic world."
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:Ok, he's been killed. I find all this joy from Americans quite barbarian, but I'm not surprised - it's understandable, I guess, in a country where death penalty is allowed and "eye for an eye" seems to be the rule (as even movies have taught us), as it is, I'm sorry to say this but it's a fact, in most uncivilized cultures.

So I can understand - if personally not agree with - the emotional side of all this. But according to the law shouldn't he have been taken prisoner and submitted to a trial - an American or more probably international trial, as his crimes have been international? And I'm not saying this only from a moral point of view - it would have helped us to understand more about Al Qaeda and its ramifications, which still survive and will probably strike again.

Because what Americans will never understand it's that it's not about individuals - it's about ideas.
Indeed, Italiano. Barbarians are we, after your children's blood and marrow.

There are ways to express fair criticism without reducing yourself to a knee-jerk caricature. Here are a few examples you may want to draw from:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/index.html

http://www.salon.com/news...._of_usa
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

ITALIANO wrote:In the context of history - but the problem is that most Americans don't know much about history - September 11 is a minor, very minor atrocity. This can't be said in the US, but it's a fact. Showy, admittedly, but minor. Much worse things have been committed - some, but even this can't be said in the US, by the US themselves.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the killing of 3,000 innocent civilians in the matter of a couple of hours is a minor atrocity. It was the biggest loss of life on American soil in one day in the entire history of the United States. Sure, it's not the Holocaust, but to describe it as a minor atrocity is not just ignorant, but offensive. I'm sure that this is something that everyone else on here, regardless of their political values, can agree with.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Even in the light of celebration, there is always trolling to try and ruin the moment.

Hey, Reza...please explain your FB comment about everything being "VERY fishy"?
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Do you have a better movie-related headline for a movie news service?

Return to “Current Events”