NSA Programs

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Okay I have a real problem with the claim that all of these "anonymous" people from the White House leaked to Judith Miller info that 9/11 would happen. Why not write the story? That is, after all, a big story.
Enter Judith Miller, the Pulitzer Prize-winning ex-New York Times reporter at the center of the ongoing perjury and obstruction of justice case involving former top White House official I. Lewis (Scooter) Libby. Miller spent 85 days in jail before finally disclosing that Libby was the anonymous source who confirmed to her that Valerie Plame was a CIA official, although Miller never wrote a story about Plame.

Could this be payback in some way? Cause I don't believe this story. Again, if someone from the White House, a credible source, was telling them that a 9/11 was about to occur, why wouldn't you publish that story? That seems extremely unlike the Times to shy away from such a story.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I don't need to make that list. This is good enough.

Judith Miller had warning of 9/11

The 9/11 Story That Got Away
By Rory O'Connor and William Scott Malone, AlterNet
Posted on May 18, 2006, Printed on May 18, 2006
http://www.alternet.org/story/36388/

In 2001, an anonymous White House source leaked top-secret NSA intelligence to reporter Judith Miller that Al Qaida was planning a major attack on the United States. But the story never made it into the paper.

On Oct. 12, 2000, the guided missile destroyer USS Cole pulled into harbor for refueling in Aden, Yemen. Less than two hours later, suicide bombers Ibrahim al-Thawr and Abdullah al-Misawa approached the ship's port side in a small inflatable craft laden with explosives and blew a 40-by-40-foot gash in it, killing 17 sailors and injuring 39 others. The attack on the Cole, organized and carried out by Osama bin Laden's Al Qaida terrorist group, was a seminal but still murky and largely misunderstood event in America's ongoing "Long War."

Two weeks prior, military analysts associated with an experimental intelligence program known as ABLE DANGER had warned top officials of the existence of an active Al Qaida cell in Aden, Yemen. And two days before the attack, they had conveyed "actionable intelligence" of possible terrorist activity in and around the port of Aden to Gen. Pete Schoomaker, then commander in chief of the U.S. Special Operation Command (SOCOM).

The same information was also conveyed to a top intelligence officer at the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), headed by the newly appointed Gen. Tommy Franks. As CENTCOM commander, Franks oversaw all U.S. armed forces operations in a 25-country region that included Yemen, as well as the Fifth Fleet, to which the Cole was tasked. It remains unclear what action, if any, top officials at SOCOM and CENTCOM took in response to the ABLE DANGER warnings about planned Al Qaida activities in Aden harbor.

None of the officials involved has ever spoken about the pre-attack warnings, and a post-attack forensic analysis of the episode remains highly classified and off-limits within the bowels of the Pentagon. Subsequent investigations exonerated the Cole's commander, Kirk Lippold, but Lippold's career has been ruined nonetheless. He remains in legal and professional limbo, with a recommended promotion and new command held up for the past four years by political concerns and maneuvering.

Meanwhile, no disciplinary action was ever taken against any SOCOM or CENTCOM officials. Schoomaker was later promoted out of retirement to chief of staff, U.S. Army, and Franks went on to lead the combat operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Enter Judith Miller, the Pulitzer Prize-winning ex-New York Times reporter at the center of the ongoing perjury and obstruction of justice case involving former top White House official I. Lewis (Scooter) Libby. Miller spent 85 days in jail before finally disclosing that Libby was the anonymous source who confirmed to her that Valerie Plame was a CIA official, although Miller never wrote a story about Plame.

Now, in an exclusive interview, Miller reveals how the attack on the Cole spurred her reporting on Al Qaida and led her, in July 2001, to a still-anonymous top-level White House source, who shared top-secret NSA signals intelligence (SIGINT) concerning an even bigger impending Al Qaida attack, perhaps to be visited on the continental United States.

Ultimately, Miller never wrote that story either. But two months later -- on Sept. 11 -- Miller and her editor at the Times, Stephen Engelberg, both remembered and regretted the story they "didn't do."

Interview with Judith Miller:

"I was working on a special project in 2000-2001 -- trying to do a series on where Al Qaida was, who Al Qaida was, and what kind of a threat it posed to the United States. In the beginning I thought it was going to be pretty straightforward, but it turned out to be anything but. And it took me a long, long time, and a lot of trips to the Middle East, and a lot of dead ends, before I finally understood how I could tell the story to the American people. It was a long-term investigative piece, which meant that for the most part, I didn't write articles on specific individual attacks -- I was working the story …

"I was fairly persuaded that the attack on the Cole was an Al Qaida operation, based on the sources that I was talking to, because I had no independent information, obviously. The people that I was covering ardently believed that Al Qaida was behind a lot of these attacks on American forces and Americans throughout the Middle East that we were beginning to see. At the time there was still a fair amount of debate and a fair amount of resistance to that thesis within the intelligence community, as it's so-called. But from the get go, I think the instinctive reaction of the people I was covering was that this was an Al Qaida operation. So I started looking at the attack on the Cole as an example of Al Qaida terrorism.

"I learned that the Al Qaida Cole attack was not exactly a hugely efficient operation, and I learned later on that there had been an earlier attempt to take out the Cole or another American ship that had floundered badly because of poor Al Qaida training. Because of incidents like that -- you know, overloading a dinghy that was supposed to go have gone out to the ship and blow it up, so that the dinghy would sink -- people tended to discount Al Qaida. They said, 'Oh, they are just a bunch of amateurs." But I'd never thought that. I never believed that. And the people I was covering didn't think that …

"I had begun to hear rumors about intensified intercepts and tapping of telephones. But that was just vaguest kind of rumors in the street, indicators … I remember the weekend before July 4, 2001, in particular, because for some reason the people who were worried about Al Qaida believed that was the weekend that there was going to be an attack on the United States or on a major American target somewhere. It was going to be a large, well-coordinated attack. Because of the July 4 holiday, this was an ideal opportunistic target and date for Al Qaida.

My sources also told me at that time that there had been a lot of chatter overheard -- I didn't know specifically what that meant -- but a lot of talk about an impending attack at one time or another. And the intelligence community seemed to believe that at least a part of the attack was going to come on July 4. So I remember that, for a lot of my sources, this was going to be a 'lost' weekend. Everybody was going to be working; nobody was going to take time off. And that was bad news for me, because it meant I was also going to be on stand-by, and I would be working too.

"I was in New York, but I remember coming down to D.C. one day that weekend, just to be around in case something happened … Misery loves company, is how I would put it. If it were going to be a stress-filled weekend, it was better to do it together. It also meant I wouldn't have trouble tracking people down -- or as much trouble -- because as you know, some of these people can be very elusive.

"The people in the counter-terrorism (CT) office were very worried about attacks here in the United States, and that was, it struck me, another debate in the intelligence community. Because a lot of intelligence people did not believe that Al Qaida had the ability to strike within the United States. The CT people thought they were wrong. But I got the sense at that time that the counter-terrorism people in the White House were viewed as extremist on these views.

"Everyone in Washington was very spun-up in the CT world at that time. I think everybody knew that an attack was coming -- everyone who followed this. But you know you can only 'cry wolf' within a newspaper or, I imagine, within an intelligence agency, so many times before people start saying there he goes -- or there she goes -- again!

"Even that weekend, there was lot else going on. There was always a lot going on at the White House, so to a certain extent, there was that kind of 'cry wolf' problem. But I got the sense that part of the reason that I was being told of what was going on was that the people in counter-terrorism were trying to get the word to the president or the senior officials through the press, because they were not able to get listened to themselves.

"Sometimes, you wonder about why people tell you things and why people … we always wonder why people leak things, but that's a very common motivation in Washington. I remember once when I was a reporter in Egypt, and someone from the agency gave me very good material on terrorism and local Islamic groups.

"I said, 'Why are you doing this? Why are you giving this to me?' and he said, 'I just can't get my headquarters to pay attention to me, but I know that if it's from the New York Times, they're going to give it a good read and ask me questions about it.' And there's also this genuine concern about how, if only the president shared the sense of panic and concern that they did, more would be done to try and protect the country.

"This was a case wherein some serious preparations were made in terms of getting the message out and responding, because at the end of that week, there was a sigh of relief. As somebody metaphorically put it: 'They uncorked the White House champagne' that weekend because nothing had happened. We got through the weekend … nothing had happened.

"But I did manage to have a conversation with a source that weekend. The person told me that there was some concern about an intercept that had been picked up. The incident that had gotten everyone's attention was a conversation between two members of Al Qaida. And they had been talking to one another, supposedly expressing disappointment that the United States had not chosen to retaliate more seriously against what had happened to the Cole. And one Al Qaida operative was overheard saying to the other, 'Don't worry; we're planning something so big now that the U.S. will have to respond.'

"And I was obviously floored by that information. I thought it was a very good story: (1) the source was impeccable; (2) the information was specific, tying Al Qaida operatives to, at least, knowledge of the attack on the Cole; and (3) they were warning that something big was coming, to which the United States would have to respond. This struck me as a major page one-potential story.

"I remember going back to work in New York the next day and meeting with my editor Stephen Engelberg. I was rather excited, as I usually get about information of this kind, and I said, 'Steve, I think we have a great story. And the story is that two members of Al Qaida overheard on an intercept (and I assumed that it was the National Security Agency, because that's who does these things) were heard complaining about the lack of American response to the Cole, but also … contemplating what would happen the next time, when there was, as they said, the impending major attack that was being planned. They said this was such a big attack that the U.S. would have to respond.' Then I waited.

"And Stephen said, 'That's great! Who were the guys overheard?'

"I said, 'Well, I don't know. I just know that they were both Al Qaida operatives.'

"'Where were they overheard?' Steve asked.

"Well, I didn't know where the two individuals were. I didn't know what countries they were in; I didn't know whether they were having a local call or a long-distance call.

"'What was the attack they were planning?' he said. 'Was it domestic, was it international, was it another military target, was it a civilian target?'

I didn't know.

'Had they discussed it?'

"I didn't know, and it was at that point that I realized that I didn't have the whole story. As Steve put it to me, 'You have a great first and second paragraph. What's your third?"'

Anatomy of a scoop

Stephen Engelberg confirms Miller's tale in all respects. Engelberg first mentioned the incident in an article by Douglas McCollam in the October 2005 edition of Columbia Journalism Review, which noted:

"Miller was naturally excited about the scoop and wanted the Times to go with the story. Engelberg, himself a veteran intelligence reporter, wasn't so sure. There had been a lot of chatter about potential attacks; how did they know this was anything other than big talk? Who were these guys? What country were they in? How had we gotten the intercept? Miller didn't have any answers, and Engelberg didn't think they could publish without more context. Miller agreed to try and find out more, but in the end, the story never ran."

In a recent interview, Engelberg expanded on his comments. "I recall thinking it made perfect sense at the time," Engelberg told us. "The Cole attack was out of character -- unlike the Africa embassy attacks, the Millennium plot, the earlier World Trade Center bombing.

"That weekend, pre-4th of July, everybody was nervous," said Engelberg. "Judy went down to check with the White House and the NSC types at the Old Executive Office Building and CTC. And she came back in and had the story. And I knew the source.

"Judy had two guys talking, but no names or details," Engelberg recalled. "One guy says, 'The U.S. didn't retaliate for the Cole.' And the other guy says the coming attack 'will be so big they're gonna have to retaliate.' But no details … Judy had the what but not the who and the where.

"I said, 'Check with the CIA, NSA, DIA,'" Engelberg remembered. "But we couldn't get anything that week."

Interview with Judith Miller:

"I realized that this information was enormously sensitive, and that it was going to be difficult to get more information, but that my source undoubtedly knew more. So I promised to Steve that I would go back and try to get more. And I did … try.

"He knew who my source was. He knew that the source was impeccable. I had also confirmed from a second source that such a conversation had taken place -- that there was such an intercept -- though my second source did not seem to know as much about the content of the intercept as the first source did. But that was enough for me to know that there was a good story there.

"But whoever knew about the 'who' and the 'where' was not willing tell me at that time. After the fact I was told that, 'The bad guys were in Yemen on this conversation.' I didn't know that at that time. I remember knowing that the person who'd told me seemed to know who had been overheard, but he was not about to share that information with me …

"And Washington being Washington, and the CT world being the CT world, I was soon off pursuing other things. I simply couldn't nail it down with more specificity. I argued at that time that it was worth going with just what we had, even if it was vague, that the fact that the Al Qaida was planning something that was so spectacular that we have to respond was worth getting into the paper in some way, shape or form. But I think Steve decided, and I ultimately agreed, that we needed more details. And I simply couldn't pry them loose.

"At the time I also had had a book coming out. Steve, Bill Broad and I were co-authors of a book about biological terrorism. So we were working flat out on that book trying to meet our deadline. I was desperately trying to get my arms around this series that we were trying to do on Al Qaida. I was having a lot of trouble because the information was very hard to come by. There was a lot going on. I was also doing biological weapons stories and homeland security stories. And in Washington, if you don't have a sense of immediacy about something, and if you sense that there is bureaucratic resistance to a story, you tend to focus on areas of less resistance.

"Our pub date was Sept. 10th. I remember I was very worried about whether or not the publisher was actually going to get copies of the books to the warehouses in time. Because of course, Steve, Bill and I had delivered the manuscript late -- everything was very late.

"The morning of Sept. 11, I was downtown about 12 blocks from the World Trade Center. I remember walking to a school around the corner with a very clear view of the World Trade Center, because it was just a few blocks away. And all I can remember thinking was, 'Are they going to get those books to the warehouses on time?' I was also trying to make up my mind who I was going to vote for in the New York Democratic Primary. And -- everybody says this -- it was one of most beautiful days in New York I ever remember!

"When I got to the Baxter School, there were people standing out in front of the school, pointing at the World Trade Center, which was on fire, and I looked up. I asked what had happened, and they said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. There was an awfully big gash in the building and I didn't see the plane, but there was an awful lot of smoke and I thought, 'Gosh! That was a pretty big space for a Cessna or something to have gotten into that building.'

"And here I had spent my whole summer, my whole past year thinking about an Al Qaida attack, and I yet wouldn't let myself believe that it was happening right then. I simply wouldn't believe. So I turned around without voting, without going into the building, and I started to call my CT sources in Washington, and I remember reaching the counter-terrorism office at the White House, and I was told that nobody was there, that all of the principals were out giving speeches or doing something else. And I said, 'OK, I'll try to call back in 15 minutes.'

"By that time I walked to my house a couple of blocks away, and I heard a boom, and I turned around and once again I didn't see the plane, but I saw the fire shoot out from the building from the plane.

"It was only then, after the second plane hit, that I allowed myself to believe that it really was a terrorist attack -- the attack that we had been so worried about for so long. And I think I was kind of amazed at myself, at the power of denial. When you don't want to believe something's happening, it does not, it's not happening! And I think that was what was going on in the intelligence community. The idea that Al Qaida would actually strike in the United States, not at the Cole or overseas, or in Jordan as part of a warning bombing plot, but here in the U.S., that was just kind of unthinkable! People were in the state of denial, as I was that morning.

"I remember calling back the White House that morning, and at that point, I talked to the secretary in the counter-terrorism office and she said: 'Nobody's here, Judy, and we're evacuating this building. I gotta go. Bye.' At that point, I hadn't even heard about the Pentagon attack, but I knew.

"It was very strange … it was a strange feeling to have written a series that virtually predicted this, and to have had not a single other reporter call, not a single other newspaper follow up on some of the information that we had broken in that series. At the time of the series, which was published in January 2001, we had information about chemical and biological experiments at Al Qaida camps.

We had gotten the location of the camps, we had gotten satellite overhead of the camps. I had interviewed, in Afghanistan, Al Qaida-trained people who said that they were going to get out of the 'prison' in Afghanistan and go back and continue their jihad. They had talked about suicide bombings. We had Jordanian intelligence say that attempts to blow up hotels, roads and tourist targets in Jordan over the millennium was part of the Al Qaida planned attack. And yet I guess people just didn't believe it. But I believed it. I believed it absolutely, because I've covered these militants for so long. There was nothing they wouldn't do if they could do it."

The one that got away

Like Miller, Steve Engelberg, now managing editor of the Oregonian in Portland, still thinks about that story that got away. "More than once I've wondered what would have happened if we'd run the piece?" he told the CJR. "A case can be made that it would have been alarmist, and I just couldn't justify it, but you can't help but think maybe I made the wrong call."

Engelberg told us the same thing. "On Sept. 11th, I was standing on the platform at the 125th Street station," he remembered ruefully more than four years later. "I was with a friend, and we both saw the World Trade Center burning and saw the second one hit. 'It's Al-Qaida!' I yelled. 'We had a heads-up!' So yes, I do still have regrets."

So does Judy Miller.

"I don't remember what I said to Steve on Sept. 11," she concluded in her interview with us. "I don't think we said anything at all to each other. He just knew what I was thinking, and I knew what he was thinking. We were so stunned by what was happening, and there was so much to do, and I think that was the day in which words just fail you.

"So I sometimes think back, and Steve and I have talked a few times about the fact that that story wasn't fit, and that neither one of us pursued it at that time with the kind of vigor and determination that we would have had we known what was going to happen. And I always wondered how the person who sent that [intercept] warning must have felt.

"You know, sometimes in journalism you regret the stories you do, but most of the time you regret the ones that you didn't do."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:If that's your way of thinking I feel sorry for you. That is the most cynical and dishonest thought pattern I ever heard. If you think people like me think that way, then maybe you are the one who thinks that way. You have no concept of how people like me think.
Defensive, defensive... You must really be in a panic, looking at all those poll numbers and seeing other Republicans jumping ship. Stop hiding behind the skirts of "people like you". Nice straw man. I'm not talking about people like you. I'm talking about YOU.

A simple little principle? Yeah i see your phone records are more important than potentially stopping other attacks on us. Great priorities.

What you just trivialized is called the Constitution. Forgive me for insisting on the niceties, but I'm not so eager to sell out our country and all it stands as quickly as a coward like you is.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:The oversight is the briefings that Congress gets.
Do you pretend to be an ignoramus for fun, or are you really this daft?

I would have thought you knew what I meant by oversight, and amazingly you don't. What oversight is there BEFORE the administration decides to do whatever they do with this information... not AFTER. That is the purpose of warrants and a judicial branch. To see there is no abuse of the information they already have. Where is the oversight? There is none.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:
And would you be fine if the government placed survellance cameras over everyone's doors and kept records of everyone's homes we visited, even if they could not penetrate what was indoors? Is that the sort of government you want to live under? Well, a government that collects records of everyone's phone calls is not a government I want to live under.

It's not the same thing. They have a database of phone numbers, without names and addresses. They are matching numbers with those of al-Qaida and if they find a connection, THEN they look at the records. This is how I understand the program. This is how it has been reported, although you wouldn't know it from the hysterical headlines and some of the editorials.
I have a few minutes to harangue.

Saying it's not the same things demonstrates your effortless lack of understanding. The objection is that they are monitoring ALL AMERICANS. Maybe they go to the next step, maybe they do. Doesn't matter. That's a picky detail. Could a few more examples possibly get you to see the light? What if the government copied all the files off of everyone's hard drive? Should I feel better knowing that they won't actually LOOK at the files unless they find I have an Al Qaeda connection?

Suppose they broke into your house and took photos of all your rooms and belongings. But they assured everyone that the photos would not be developed until they feel they have reason to. Would you feel your privacy had been violated, Criddic? You'd be a fool not to feel that way.

Anyone with three digits in their IQ knows it takes NSA no time to get a name and address from a phone number. In fact, Criddic, YOU can do it. Just go here:

http://www.mattshepherd.us/widgets/

Download it. Enter the telephone numbers of your family and friends. You'll get their names and street addresses in a few seconds. Alter the numbers a little, and you'll get the names and addresses of complete strangers. Anonymous, bull.

And even if their claims are true (again, how would we know?) and they didn't connect names with the numbers, it's too late. They've already violated the Fourth Amendment. They spied. You say they didn't, but "spy" is yet another word you don't know the meaning of. They've collected data through private information. Saying that's not spying is a blatant lie.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Apparently Criddic doesn't understand the word WARRANTLESS! When you don't file a warrant, you're disobeying the law.

Yes, I think MY rights as an American citizen should not be abridged by a government bent on trying to "flush" out terrorists because, you know what, they know we're doing it, so why would they even risk it? They'll be using newer methods of communication, including cryptography and other ways to hide their data trails. Not to mention it's not hard to spoof email addresses and create new email accounts or phone numbers frequently, thus eluding the "counterterrorism" measures being applied, so why are they violating my rights when *I* am not under criminal investigation. They don't have the right to subpoena my private phone records, or anyone else's for that matter...American citizens are being targeted, whether you think so or not, THAT is against the constitution your president bemoans but obviously he doesn't take it that seriously.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

The USA Today article doesn't cover how the NSA convinced all of the phone companies to cooperate.

And of course the phone companies are saying they didn't do anything.

It's all coming out now in dribs and drabs, but when it all becomes clear, we'll find out that the key oversight functions -- those functions that were put in place to protect the rights of Americans -- were deliberately circumvented.

If this turns out to be true and the program is illegal, then of course I'm not for that. The President has an obligation, as even he has said, to follow the law and the constitution. Now this guy, Matthew Aid, is an historian. But how familiar is he with the behind the scenes actions of the current administration and the current NSA? Does he really know for certain that laws were "circumvented" and "deliberately obviated"?

__
Here's a blog entry I found on RCP:

NSA Program Did Involve FISA.

It appears the NSA’s phone pattern database was possibly part of a warranted surveillance, according to a story Captain Ed Morrissey posted on:

Two judges on the secretive court that approves warrants for intelligence surveillance were told of the broad monitoring programs that have raised recent controversy, a Republican senator said Tuesday, connecting a court to knowledge of the collecting of millions of phone records for the first time.

Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said that at least two of the chief judges on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court had been informed since 2001 of White House-approved National Security Agency monitoring operations.

I had suspected that the DB, only being tens of millions of phone numbers out of 100’s of millions or more, was part of a targeted analysis relating to numbers uncovered from 9-11 and key Al Qaeda suspects rounded up over the years. I am not surprised 100 Al Qaeda targets could create a web of 10 million contacts if you go to the second or third level of contact (i.e., the first level is with the orginal 100, the second level are those who communicated with the first level, etc). The numbers go up pretty quickly. 100 people talking to 100 people who talk to 100 people gets you to one million.

In other words, the program was legal and under court review.

It was almost certainly detecting terrorist communication patterns. That should silence the critics - but it won’t. The left only runs on emotion now, and that includes the math challenged press I am afraid. To them there is no war and Bush is more dangerous than Bin Laden.
Posted by AJStrata on Wednesday, May 17th, 2006 at 9:04 am.

It's worth looking into, but I agree with the notion that these programs will be found out to be legal.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Take a gander, criddic

As reported in Daily Kos:

Salon has posted its interview with Matthew Aid, a historian who has written extensively about the NSA. In the interview, Aid paints a frightening picture of how "the NSA replaced the FBI as the nation's domestic surveillance agency after 9/11." The whole interview is a must-read. Aid hints at a disturbingly wide-ranging scope of surveillance:

"We should be terrified that Congress has not been doing its job and because all of the checks and balances put in place to prevent this have been deliberately obviated. In order to get this done, the NSA and White House went around all of the checks and balances. I'm convinced that 20 years from now we, as historians, will be looking back at this as one of the darkest eras in American history. And we're just beginning to sort of peel back the first layers of the onion. We're hoping against hope that it's not as bad as I suspect it will be, but reality sets in every time a new article is published and the first thing the Bush administration tries to do is quash the story. It's like the lawsuit brought by EFF [Electronic Frontier Foundation] against AT&T -- the government's first reaction was to try to quash the lawsuit. That ought to be a warning sign that they're on to something."

On how the law was deliberately ignored:

"The USA Today article doesn't cover how the NSA convinced all of the phone companies to cooperate. Did General Hayden [former NSA director and current nominee to run the CIA] pick up the phone and call the CEOs? (Yes, as noted previously, Hayden testified that he personally met with several telecom executives.) Or were they presented with National Security letters saying you will turn over all your records to us and keep it quiet within your organization? But it does seem clear that the Justice Department was excluded from all of this, or at least the parts of the Justice Department that would normally have some oversight over this. For example, they didn't refer the case down to the Civil Rights Division for their approval. They kept the number of people within the Justice Department who had knowledge of the program to a small number of people. I think they feared that if they passed it down to other departments that might have some purview over the program they might have encountered a stream of objections."

It's all coming out now in dribs and drabs, but when it all becomes clear, we'll find out that the key oversight functions -- those functions that were put in place to protect the rights of Americans -- were deliberately circumvented.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

The oversight is the briefings that Congress gets. If they have objections, they should (and some are) look into it further. But this is another program that has been around for a long time. Where was the outcry when the senators/reps. were first told about this? I think it's all political bs, and you are falling for it.

I may not like Hilary Clinton and wouldn't vote for her, unless the opposition was so lousy (even then I might vote for a 3rd Party Candidate). But if she were elected to office and she had to deal with the question of protecting the American people in the best way available (ie, a way that wouldn't be known to our enemies), then yes I would support this program. It makes sense.

And would you be fine if the government placed survellance cameras over everyone's doors and kept records of everyone's homes we visited, even if they could not penetrate what was indoors? Is that the sort of government you want to live under? Well, a government that collects records of everyone's phone calls is not a government I want to live under.

It's not the same thing. They have a database of phone numbers, without names and addresses. They are matching numbers with those of al-Qaida and if they find a connection, THEN they look at the records. This is how I understand the program. This is how it has been reported, although you wouldn't know it from the hysterical headlines and some of the editorials.

"Program appears to be legal" is a meaningless fart of a statement if it hasn't been decided whether it's legal or not. To me, "program appears to be illegal". And if you say "program appears to be legal", then "program REALLY appears to be illegal"

If that's your way of thinking I feel sorry for you. That is the most cynical and dishonest thought pattern I ever heard. If you think people like me think that way, then maybe you are the one who thinks that way. You have no concept of how people like me think. When I say something, I don't mean something else. If I say "the program seems to be legal," I mean that everything I have read and heard about it and the history of such programs points to it being legal. Controversial? Yes. A little unusual to the average citizen? Maybe. Does it make us feel a little uncomforable? Yes. But discomfort doesn't indicate dishonesty.

I do not want the government to know who I am calling or when I am calling someone because of a simple little principle: I want my privacy. You say it isn't intrusive. It is intrusive to me, and you can't tell me otherwise. Whatever happened to the Republican's standards of "less government"? Have they really become such shivering, screaming pussies?

A simple little principle? Yeah i see your phone records are more important than potentially stopping other attacks on us. Great priorities. The simple answer to the Republican philosophy of the last few years is: War. Now i agree with you that there has been too much spending in many areas, although the democrats went along with most of the bills sent through Congress and agreed to increases in those bills for their own earmarks too. So it's not just Republicans. Most Congress members have approved these bills. Republicans aren't the only ones who've tried to use surveillence without warrants. From what I have been told (and I will check on it), President Clinton tried something similar in the mid-nineties. The point is that Democrats were also told about this NSA program and never said "hey let's investigate the legality of it" until it became clear to them that they might be able to use such a controversy in the November elections. It's politics. Both sides are guilty of using these kinds of issues for political gain, and frankly I am disgusted with all of it.

You can't say, accurately anyway, that only Republicans have been expanding gov't. Democrats have enough votes to block most of these things. It's only 55-45 in the Senate (one being an Independent who votes Democrat). Republicans have about thirty more in the House than Dems, but that's it. If they wanted to, they could have blocked many of these measures that you dislike. Yet they don't.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'm gone for a few days, so I leave you with this final thought. YOU'RE the one missing the point. You're right, they are collecting these conversations - so they say - to decide which coversations to listen to. And what has already been reported ad nauseum (yet, despite this, you're utterly incapable of putting two and two together) the NSA is doing this with no warrants and ABSOLUTELY NO OVERSIGHT OF ANY KIND, JUDICIAL OR OTHERWISE.

They say they're only surveilling "terrorists" and not "innocent people". The point is, HOW DO WE KNOW? Because they say so? "Trust us?" HOw Hitlerian. How Orwellian. And where are the safeguards that no one will abuse the system, now that they have all this information? How will we know they won't give this info to a third party? That's the whole reason we have a warrant requirement. So that there is some judicial oversight to check the executive's powers.

Would you, or any of your right wing colleagues, say with a straight face that you'd be fine if President Hillary Clinton had authority over the NSA? I don't think so.

I do not want the government to know who I am calling or when I am calling someone because of a simple little principle: I want my privacy. You say it isn't intrusive. It is intrusive to me, and you can't tell me otherwise. Whatever happened to the Republican's standards of "less government"? Have they really become such shivering, screaming pussies?

"Program appears to be legal" is a meaningless fart of a statement if it hasn't been decided whether it's legal or not. To me, "program appears to be illegal". And if you say "program appears to be legal", then "program REALLY appears to be illegal"
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

There's no point in arguing with people who've already made up their minds when they are too stubborn to look at the facts. (And no i'm not describing me, I'm describing you).

Again, this program appears to be legal. The only reason that you all think it's illegal is because we don't know every tiny detail about the program. It's not something we should know. You think that because you want to know everything that you have the right to know everything. Those are not the same things.

Look, a headline that says "Innocent Americans Spied On" certainly makes me question things, but when you look deeper you realize that this is not accurate at all. Then you have to put your initial fears into perspective. The context is not the same when you see all the facts. Yet you keep insisting that this program is illegal. This is based on what, your intuition?

And you are right when you say that the two NSA programs aren't the same. They are separate. The Terrorist Surveillence assignments we've been hearing about have extremely important uses. The very idea that you are going to be tipped off that your phone number is in a database to find al-Qaida links is absurd. What if you are engaging in such communications and are aware of it? If they tell you you are being watched, wouldn't you then switch your method of communication? Let's be logical here. That wouldn't make sense to tip people off.

But i do agree with you that if you are suspected of such a connection after finding a reason to have that suspicion, they should arrest you properly. Though I also recognize that the procedure is probably much different for someone suspected of treason and conspiracy against the United States than for someone who is simply suspected of a lesser offense. They don't want to give anyone the opportunity to wiggle out of it before the whole truth can be learned. Any administration would do, and has done, the same thing in a time of war.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Excellent post, WEs.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So what if they have my records? The problem is people DON'T get warnings they're being investigated. With it going warrantless, there's no check or balance to make sure things are being done legally. If you were talking to someone with ties to Al Qaeda and the suspected you...guess what, they could take you at any time without warning you and per the President's own insistence, they could hold you indefinitely as an enemy combatant without benefit of charge...So, just because you don't think it's a bad thing to have your records searched without your permission, doesn't mean that it's not a bad thing.

I never said they were spying on Americans (but they are if the tapping of journalist phone calls isn't proof of that). However, you're bemoaning the same BS that I keep hearing that "so what, I've done nothing wrong, let them get my records."

I don't care if I HAVE done nothing wrong. Getting my phone records without a warrant, without a subpoena and without notifying me is against my rights. It's just like if you were at home watching porn on television, the government doesn't have the right to know what you're watching and when you're watching it. Because it's an INVASION OF PRIVACY.

So you'd have no problem if a stalker were following you around, marking down your every move, tapping your every phone call and all without notifying you and then it turned out they were doing it to track down terrorists...would you feel he was justified? Hell no. That's what the governments doing. If they were even REMOTELY doing this LEGALLY, I'd have less problem with it. However, the fact remains that they are doing it without the judicial or legislative branches of government being able to check and balance the work, thus making it duplicitous and wrong and most of all illegal.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:
U.S. SENATOR PATRICK LEAHY (D-VT): These are tens of millions of Americans who are not suspected of anything. Are we just going to collect their phone information for the heck of it? (END VIDEO CLIP) (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) GEORGE W. BUSH, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: We're not mining or trolling through the personal lives of millions of innocent Americans. (END VIDEO CLIP) WALLACE: That was President Bush and Senator Pat Leahy talking about the news this week that the NSA is collecting records on trillions of American phone calls. And we're back now with Brit, Mara, Bill and Juan. Well, the newspaper USA Today created quite a stir this week with the report that the NSA has built up this enormous database of phone call records. No eavesdropping, no content, no names, but records of phone calls, what numbers called other numbers, when and for how long. Juan, how troubled should we be about this? WILLIAMS: Well, I mean, one way to look at it is what we know from polls. The Washington Post did an overnight poll. Basically about 60 percent of the American people said, you know, you have to do what you have to do to fight terrorists, and this is part of a war on terrorism. Now, Newsweek has a poll out that indicates about 53 percent of Americans, in a sort of, you know, longer-term poll ....

Jesus, were we expected to READ this?

Cam, as you can see in the most recent exchange, you're one hundred percent correct. I'd go further and invoke Godwin's law, and it would be perfectly appropriate in this case. The cliche "This is how (insert fascist dictator) got started" is only a cliche because it's true.

Notice how he takes anything ("dealing with the issue of communications surveillance" vs. what the NSA is doing now) and puts the two on equal footing. Notice how his favorite branch of government is permitted a free pass to do whatever with no oversight whatsoever. Amazing.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

U.S. SENATOR PATRICK LEAHY (D-VT): These are tens of millions of Americans who are not suspected of anything. Are we just going to collect their phone information for the heck of it? (END VIDEO CLIP) (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) GEORGE W. BUSH, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: We're not mining or trolling through the personal lives of millions of innocent Americans. (END VIDEO CLIP) WALLACE: That was President Bush and Senator Pat Leahy talking about the news this week that the NSA is collecting records on trillions of American phone calls. And we're back now with Brit, Mara, Bill and Juan. Well, the newspaper USA Today created quite a stir this week with the report that the NSA has built up this enormous database of phone call records. No eavesdropping, no content, no names, but records of phone calls, what numbers called other numbers, when and for how long. Juan, how troubled should we be about this? WILLIAMS: Well, I mean, one way to look at it is what we know from polls. The Washington Post did an overnight poll. Basically about 60 percent of the American people said, you know, you have to do what you have to do to fight terrorists, and this is part of a war on terrorism. Now, Newsweek has a poll out that indicates about 53 percent of Americans, in a sort of, you know, longer-term poll with greater numbers of people, say that the government has now gone too far. But I think that there are red flags being raised. The most immediate is for General Hayden and his confirmation as the new head of CIA. I think lots of people are going to question his credibility. Clearly, the extent of these programs has not been fully divulged to the American people and certainly not to the Congress of the United States. And here we are going forward with Hayden, who's been the mastermind, and so the questions are going to, I think, press against Hayden, although it looks as if he still is safe to get confirmed. WALLACE: Brit, before you weigh in, I want to play a tape of Hayden, because there has been this question raised about how forthcoming the president and General Hayden have been about the whole program and the nature of it, obviously not the specifics. Here is what General Hayden had to say early this year about the program. Take a listen. (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) MICHAEL HAYDEN, CIA DIRECTOR-DESIGNATE: This isn't a drift net out there where we're soaking up everyone's communications. We are going after very specific communications that our professional judgment tells us we have reason to believe are those associated with people who want to kill Americans. (END VIDEO CLIP) WALLACE: Brit, clearly, General Hayden was talking there about the eavesdropping, not this phone database. But on the other hand, there clearly is more of a drift net than he let on there. HUME: Well, it's not for eavesdropping. I mean, you know, we have to be clear about the meaning of words here. They matter. I must say, Chris, that I don't think that this -- I mean, there's a better example than this story and the reaction to it of the remarkable unseriousness of the atmosphere in Washington these days. Senator Leahy saying that these phone records were being collected for the heck of it -- does he really mean that? Does he really think that? We know why these records are being gathered. We know that it's because if you intercept an Al Qaida or capture an Al Qaida cell phone, or you know what an Al Qaida-connected terrorist's telephone that they're using is, you run that number against this massive database to see who might be telephoned in the United States and who, in turn, or what, in turn, calls were made from that number. I don't know of a better way to do that. There's no evidence that names are being gathered except perhaps in cases where they really find something. I must say to you, Chris, if the NSA wants to scan my telephone calls to see if anybody called me from Al Qaida, that's perfectly all right with me, and I suspect it would be with almost every American. This is probably a very good idea. The sensation over -- USA today publishes a story, huge front-page headlines, opens up to massive body of gray type inside. You have to go to page 5 in a sidebar to find out that well, no, they're not gathering names and addresses. Yes, it's true, names and addresses are easily gotten. But you can see what they're doing here. It's not much of a... WALLACE: Wait a minute, let's let everybody else in. LIASSON: The idea of data mining -- and the thing that was curious to me about the story is that the New York Times did report this about the same time that they reported the other NSA... WALLACE: Not in as much detail. When you read the Times story, they say this was... LIASSON: There were several articles... WALLACE: ... an extension. LIASSON: There were several articles, and I remember reading them and saying hmm, data mining, I wonder what that is. It was different. They talked about the phone companies. I mean, this -- the USA Today did not break this story, but they certainly gave it the kind of prominence. And hey, it's to their credit that USA Today had such impact that everybody reacted to it. HUME: Oh, please. LIASSON: But the fact is that -- well, I mean, they got a bigger reaction than the New York Times did when they reported the same story. Look, I think that you saw this with the NSA story, warrantless wiretapping, and this, that it seems like this is not going to be a political issue that the Democrats can use against the Bush administration. However, there certainly are questions. Congress wants to know exactly what it is. Data mining, apparently, from experts who have been interviewed, has been going on since World War II. It's looking through massive amounts of traffic, phone traffic or Internet traffic, to see if there are patterns that emerge that you can use to help you track something. You know, the content -- getting a warrant to actually listen in on a phone call is something different. KRISTOL: Yes, maybe the Bush administration should have gone to Congress and gotten authorization for this at the beginning. I think that's kind of a close call. There's some advantage, on the other hand, to having some secrecy, though this program seems to be one that would be less important to keep secret than other kinds of government efforts in the war on terror. I think this will come out fine. Congress will have hearings. The administration will defend itself. It was very good that the president came out and quickly defended himself on Thursday. I do think the Bolten White House is being more effective at just dealing with the news every day. We saw that with the -- they got the tax cuts through Wednesday, and not a trivial legislative -- the extension of the tax cuts, not a trivial legislative accomplishment. They're going to get Judge Brett Kavanaugh through as an appellate court judge. They defended this program pretty effectively, quickly. They're taking the lead on immigration. And I actually think things are turning up for the president, hard as it is to believe. WALLACE: Let me ask you, though, because we've got a little over a minute left and I want to ask you all to turn -- General Hayden, architect of this program, in his former job as head of the National Security Agency, up now for confirmation as CIA director. I'd like a quick whip around. Do you think he's going to get through? WILLIAMS: Yes, I think he'll get through, but the question remains -- and this is what I was going to say to Brit earlier -- why not have an American debate about this, if you think it's so right and legitimate and in keeping with our values in a democratic society? If you believe that a statute could be passed, why not? Why have secret programs, secret prisons, secret torture? HUME: Well, because, Juan -- and this is another case of -- wonderful example of it -- because, Juan, believe it or not, we're at war, and... WILLIAMS: And therefore, we should stop being a democracy, Mr. Hume? HUME: Oh, please. WILLIAMS: You're the tough guy and you're going to tell everybody what's right for us in the country? Come on. HUME: No. What I will say about this is that you have different expectations and a different atmosphere when we're at war. And I think that since the administration believes we're at war and is deadly serious about it and thinks it's the top priority. I think that in the press and in the political opposition, there's a very different attitude. The war is kind of a figurative thing, not a real thing, and that accounts for the excitement over stuff like this. WALLACE: All right. We're going to have to leave it there. So much for the whip-around. Thank you, panel. That's it for today. See you next week. For more visit the FOX News Sunday web page.
-- Fox News Sunday Roundtable Discussion on NSA.
__

Frightened? Why? You are so f-ing unbelievable. BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ONLY WARRANTLESS but THEY ARE ALSO DONE WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE BEING GIVEN TO THE PERSON BEING INVESTIGATED! Anyone remember that silly little thing called the constitution? Anyone in this administration EVER hear of due process? There's a specific passage that suggests that Americans cannot be subjected to illegal searches and seizures. The NSLs are an abridgement of our rights. Does it not disturb you that YOUR PHONE CALL RECORDS could be in the hands of the government?
-- Oscarguy.

First of all this hysteria over people being investigated is the real bs. Having phone records is not new for the gov't, nor is it for many companies and telemarketers either. Now I don't see it as a problem, since they are NOT just randomly listening in on innocent people's conversations or looking at all their info. They are trying to track down al-Qaida and their communications, which I should think we'd all want them to do. I'm sick of hearing "oh, they're spying on Americans." This is a gross misstatement of what they are trying to do.

The issue isn't simply that I don't care if they want to look at my phone records. What are they gonna find? Me talking to my grandmother or getting a call-in from work or a friend asking to hang out, probably. Big deal. I'm not revealing anything over the phone that would be earthshattering.

So what if they know what my phone number is? They are only gonna delve further into my records if they think there is an al-Qaida connection. So if there is a connection, I'd like to know it too. Go ahead, track my phone number.

This isn't an illegal infringement. Other Presidents, including President Bush's predecessor, dealt with the issue of comminications surveillence.

Secondly, as someone in the above discussion says, secrecy in some of these areas is a valuable tool against the enemy. I don't necessarily need to be told that my phone records are in a database and may or may not be subject to evaluation if a connection to al-Qaida is suspected. I think I should be notified if i am going to be charged with a crime or with aiding a crime, but the fact that my records are available for review is not something I have to know.

Return to “Current Events”