Edwards' Affair

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Can we call him a jerk now?

Sources: Edwards to admit paternity of ex-mistress' child
Posted: Today at 5:05 p.m.
Updated: Today at 5:12 p.m.

Sources have told WRAL News that they expect former U.S. Sen. John Edwards to admit that he is the father of his former mistress' 18-month-old daughter.

Edwards, a two-time Democratic presidential candidate, confessed last August to having an affair with Rielle Hunter, who served as a videographer on Edwards' 2008 campaign. He has denied fathering her daughter, saying his relationship with Hunter ended before the child was conceived.

The name of the girl's father isn't disclosed on her birth certificate.

Andrew Young, a long-time Edwards aide, initially claimed to be the father of Hunter's child, but he is reportedly writing a book in which he will claim Edwards is the father.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether Edwards' campaign funds were illegally paid to Hunter to keep quiet about the affair.

Hunter spent nine hours last Thursday at the federal courthouse in Raleigh, where the grand jury was meeting. She brought her daughter, Frances, with her.

Young was at the federal courthouse in July when the grand jury was meeting.

Sources said Edwards' public admission could come before the end of the criminal investigation.

Edwards' attorney, Wade Smith, couldn't be reached Thursday for comment.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1250214188
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I don't hate John Edwards. I just think he's an asshole for cheating on his dying wife.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Here's the thing...it was hard to respond to THIS after criddic's statement.

I've always found it interesting that most people just do not like or trust John Edwards. Like I DON'T CARE IF HIS WIFE HAS CANCER. I DON'T LIKE THAT GUY. It's pretty fucking shitty no way around it.

Search for Obama love child resumes with newfound fervor.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:I refuse to change the title. While the idea of cheating on a dying woman is a despicable thing plenty of Republicans have done far worse and not merited a "jerk" title.
Cheating douchebag is different from jerk. Whereas jerk is a general term, the former is specific on the subject of cheating.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Actually, not true OscarGuy. Edwards didn't have the balls to step up and admit it. The story first broke a few months ago, and Edwards refused to acknowledge it, calling it "tabloid trash." He only admitted it when the shit hit the fan.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I refuse to change the title. While the idea of cheating on a dying woman is a despicable thing plenty of Republicans have done far worse and not merited a "jerk" title. And most of those Republicans merely went into denial mode before being fully exposed for the liars and hypocrites that they are. At least Edwards had the balls to step up and confront the issue and admit it.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1218298947
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

In that case, shouldn't we change the New Developments thread to "George W. Bush is a lying, hypocritical, traitorous moron"?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

MovieWes wrote:"John Edwards is a cheating douche bag."
It's more fun. The current title is too formal, as if they did it at a dinner party and you wore your good suit that night because you wanted to impress your boss.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

MovieWes wrote:Okay, here's what I find to be so funny on this board. Sir Richard Attenborough speaks out against violence in the media, and you post a thread entitled "Richard Attenborough is a jerk." And yet, when a prominent Democratic politician cheats on his dying wife, you post a thread entitled "Edwards' Affair." What the hell?

I hereby make a motion to re-entitle this thread "John Edwards is a cheating douche bag."
I suggest to rename the thread: Cheating on a warm corps
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Heh.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Okay, here's what I find to be so funny on this board. Sir Richard Attenborough speaks out against violence in the media, and you post a thread entitled "Richard Attenborough is a jerk." And yet, when a prominent Democratic politician cheats on his dying wife, you post a thread entitled "Edwards' Affair." What the hell?

I hereby make a motion to re-entitle this thread "John Edwards is a cheating douche bag."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The day criddic realizes what he said perfectly encapsulates what we've been saying about Bush is the day the world will end...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That a person would take advantage of so many people in such a way is appalling.

:(

Edited By Sabin on 1218246287
"How's the despair?"
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

While this is a sad development, I think it's more interesting that the National Enquirer investigators (who broke the story) believe that the man who supposedly is the actual father of this woman's baby may be covering for Edwards. Apparently this man is also married, with a family and may have had only limited access to Edwards' mistress due to the traveling she did with Edwards. If this is true and Edwards is allowing this person to take a fall for him, it is much more than just an affair.

I'd like to be able to find this funny, and to say I always thought he was a phony, but this is too sad. That a person would take advantage of so many people in such a way is appalling.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I guess not even the best politician is perfect. Sigh...

Either this is part of the VP vetting process in the interest of getting information out now and early or this is proof that he isn't going to be selected as a VP running mate.

Edwards admits having affair, says he's ashamed By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer
15 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - John Edwards says he made a serious error in judgment when he had an affair and is ashamed of his conduct. In a statement, the former Democratic presidential candidate also said he informed his wife about his affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter in 2006 and has asked her forgiveness.

Edwards said he is not the father of the woman's daughter and is willing to take a test to determine the 5-month-old baby's paternity.

He said the affair lasted for a short time in 2006.

Until Friday, Edwards had denied reports in the National Enquirer that he had an affair while his wife, Elizabeth, was battling cancer. He admitted to the affair in an interview with ABC News, then released a statement.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1218232197
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Current Events”