The Biden-Harris Era

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: The Biden-Harris Era

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
And it will backfire on them if they try. Shades of 1998 all over again. The only people who want this are the people seeking revenge for Biden winning the election. Only the idiots who have fallen in line behind Trump will agree with it and everyone else will know that it's nothing short of political theater.
Maybe. I don’t think Republicans impeaching Biden is similar to ‘98. I think it’s pretty fringe and seems of a new age, so I’m less confident. It’s probably just better not to be impeached IMO.

Let’s say they do impeach him. That’s the scandal key according to Allan Lichtman, just as it was against the incumbent party in 2000 and 2020. And let’s say they double down on our leaving Afghanistan. The parallels between leaving Saigon are there, which definitely counted as a foreign/military failure in 1976. Right now, it’s not broadly recognized as such, but if it sucks up enough airtime in 2023, who knows? I’d rather not test it.

Let’s just keep the House just to be safe. :lol:

NOTE: I have some mixed thoughts about Joe Biden's recent speech. I think one of the questions of the next election will be who can either grow a majority out from MAGA or against it. I see some missed opportunities for rhetoric but points for bravery. But the aesthetics (black and red) were just horrible!
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And it will backfire on them if they try. Shades of 1998 all over again. The only people who want this are the people seeking revenge for Biden winning the election. Only the idiots who have fallen in line behind Trump will agree with it and everyone else will know that it's nothing short of political theater.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Possible fun new chapter in "The Biden-Harris Era".

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3620 ... ach-biden/

House conservatives prep plans to impeach Biden

Republicans hoping to seize control of the House in November are already setting their sights on what is, for many of them, a top priority next year: impeaching President Biden.

A number of rank-and-file conservatives have already introduced impeachment articles in the current Congress against the president. They accuse Biden of committing “high crimes” in his approach to a range of issues touching on border enforcement, the coronavirus pandemic and the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan.

I'm not going to post the rest. It's crap. But it's the crap that we now live in.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just a reminder that you can't ever take your eyes off these people.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/stat ... 11463?s=21
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

President Biden's SCOTUS pick is Ketanji Brown Jackson.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Lindsay Graham, of all people, is praising J. Michelle Childs, whom Biden is considering for the Supreme Court.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Gotta get Manhcin and Sinema's votes, first.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's welcome Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court and next we'll hope one of the right wing nutjobs on the court dies.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Good news! Justice Breyer is retiring.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

So… This is bad.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/388781/pol ... -2021.aspx

U.S. Political Party Preferences Shifted Greatly During 2021
BY JEFFREY M. JONES

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- On average, Americans' political party preferences in 2021 looked similar to prior years, with slightly more U.S. adults identifying as Democrats or leaning Democratic (46%) than identified as Republicans or leaned Republican (43%).

However, the general stability for the full-year average obscures a dramatic shift over the course of 2021, from a nine-percentage-point Democratic advantage in the first quarter to a rare five-point Republican edge in the fourth quarter.

These results are based on aggregated data from all U.S. Gallup telephone surveys in 2021, which included interviews with more than 12,000 randomly sampled U.S. adults.

Gallup asks all Americans it interviews whether they identify politically as a Republican, a Democrat or an independent. Independents are then asked whether they lean more toward the Republican or Democratic Party. The combined percentage of party identifiers and leaners gives a measure of the relative strength of the two parties politically.

Both the nine-point Democratic advantage in the first quarter and the five-point Republican edge in the fourth quarter are among the largest Gallup has measured for each party in any quarter since it began regularly measuring party identification and leaning in 1991.

The Democratic lead in the first quarter was the largest for the party since the fourth quarter of 2012, when Democrats also had a nine-point advantage. Democrats held larger, double-digit advantages in isolated quarters between 1992 and 1999 and nearly continuously between mid-2006 and early 2009.

The GOP has held as much as a five-point advantage in a total of only four quarters since 1991. The Republicans last held a five-point advantage in party identification and leaning in early 1995, after winning control of the House of Representatives for the first time since the 1950s. Republicans had a larger advantage only in the first quarter of 1991, after the U.S. victory in the Persian Gulf War led by then-President George H.W. Bush.

…read the article for the rest.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I hope it works.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Not when members of his own party are giving speeches to not mess with the filibuster within in an hour of his scheduled speech to them.
Schumer says he's found a loophole.

https://www.axios.com/schumer-loophole- ... 0a068.html
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Democrats are racing towards voting rights action now which is a very good thing.
Not when members of his own party are giving speeches to not mess with the filibuster within in an hour of his scheduled speech to them.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

But we did it for Trump, we should do it for Biden.

Biden's approval rating drops to new low of 33% on concerns about his handling of COVID, economy: poll

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 189510002/
The poll, conducted Jan. 7 though Jan. 10 and released Wednesday, found 33% of all 1,313 adults surveyed approve of Biden's job performance, while 53% disapprove. Ten percent did not offer an opinion.

The poll has a margin of error of 2.7 percentage points. When isolating just registered voters, Biden's approval rating improves slightly to 35%.
The 10% that did not offer opinion seems larger than usual or at least larger compared to Trump, who largely turned his personality into an unavoidable bellwether. I'd wager a good chunk of voters have just checked out. It's probably closer to the 40's. 538 gives Joe Biden an average approval of 42.5%.

Either way, Democrats are racing towards voting rights action now which is a very good thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ill-debate
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
I was thinking more of the former rep from Texas who is running for governor and the Kennedy heir who was Pelosi's fair-haired boy a couple of years ago.
Beto O'Rourke was a real disappointment. I don't know anyone who was excited about Joe Kennedy III so he's no loss. I'm sure he'll find a way to return to public service if he wants.

NOTE: my mistake. Ossoff's bill closes the spouse loophole. Obviously, he has to find a Republican co-sponsor. You'd think that would be easy... :roll:
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”