R.I.P. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Okri
Tenured

Re: R.I.P. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by Okri »

Sabin wrote:One last thing... My mind is racing. I fear the narrative of this entire election has been turned on its head and it's one that favors Trump more than the last tone. .
I agree. Dems are energized, but I don't doubt that Republicans are as well.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

One last thing... My mind is racing. I fear the narrative of this entire election has been turned on its head and it's one that favors Trump more than the last one. But I just read this:

According to Jewish tradition, a person who dies on Rosh Hashanah, which began tonight, is a tzaddik, a person of great righteousness. Baruch Dayan HaEmet.

Rest in Jewish Power, RBG.
Last edited by Sabin on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

deleted because I no longer believe in anything I just wrote.
Last edited by Sabin on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Supposedly Collins is also a no for now. I just worry that a lame duck session could result in some chicanery. Trump already stole one seat, we have to steal his back.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Then there's this tidbit presumably because he would be filling McCain's still unexpired seat:

Mark Kelly, should he win the Arizona Senate seat, could be sworn in as early as Nov. 30, according to elections law experts who spoke to the Arizona Republic.
Which could make a difference, because...

(And let me say, I hate having to jump to Political Analysis, instead of having a moment to mourn a legend, but when you're fighting evil, you don't have time to mourn.)

Trying to push through a replacement before Election Day is problematic. With Romney/Murkowski on record saying no way till after January 20th, Mitch has to hold all but two others. Collins and Gardner are already in deep re-election trouble, and confirming a right-winger would be political suicide for them. Lindsay Graham is on tape promising not to do this, and, yeah, I know, Republicans have no problem being hypocrites, but you have to figure this kind of weasel behavior is precisely the reason Lindsay is in such a tight race in SC, so he may be gun-shy. GOPers may decide waiting for the lame duck is a better option. But Kelly potentially replacing McSally before long would make Mitch's margin tighter in that circumstance.

And if the GOP DOES force this through, it will energize the Dem base (ActBlue fund-raising is off the charts tonight), and give a newly-elected Dem majority all the impetus they need to do as Magilla suggests in expanding the court, and more.

As Cory Booker said an hour or so ago, even in the depths of their groveling, some Republicans may have to discover a sense of shame.

Once again: all hail the great RBG. It''s sad we can't leave it at that tonight.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Then there's this tidbit presumably because he would be filling McCain's still unexpired seat:

Mark Kelly, should he win the Arizona Senate seat, could be sworn in as early as Nov. 30, according to elections law experts who spoke to the Arizona Republic.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From CSPAN:

President Trump on death of Justice Ginsburg: "She just died? Wow. I didn't know that...She led an amazing life. What else can you say? She was an amazing woman, whether you agree or not. She was an amazing woman who led an amazing life. I'm actually sad to hear that."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Lisa Murkowski and Chuck Grassley have said they won't vote to replace her.
We need at least two more Republicans to deny McConnell's edict.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

She was a great woman and OH HOLY SH*T!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Lisa Murkowski and Chuck Grassley have said they won't vote to replace her.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

After Trump and McConnell ram through the youngest conservative they can, the pressure will be on the new Democratic congress under Biden to expand the Supreme Court to 13 to upend the shift to the right.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This year is going to destroy us all.

A moment to salute a great, towering figure of law.

And then a warning: if McConnell pushes through a replacement, he's openly asking for close to civil war.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by Sabin »

GODFUCKINGDAMMIT
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”