Campaign 2020

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Campaign 2020

Post by Sabin »

mlrg wrote
If the election happens on the planned date I’ll wire you 20$. If it’s postponed you’ll wire 1000$. Are you in? :D
So, Sonic is probably going to win. The election is going to be held this year. It will be a violent mess. But when I was reading this discussion, I got this email alert from Daily Kos.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2020/7/3 ... -it-s-safe

Trump and Pence’s term expires in January and Nancy Pelosi will become President. As soon as someone explains that to him and he remembers it, talk of pushing the election is over. You can’t just stay President forever. He literally has an eviction date if he doesn’t win. Legal proceedings will instantly start against him when he leaves. Although the presence of President Pelosi will doubtlessly fire up his base. The question is: does he know that? And the answer is “No, of course not, he doesn’t know anything.”

I don’t want to say “it’s not going to happen” because he’ll try, and he’s proven very effective at surviving for one more day.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Conservative Herman Cain, a former Republican contender for president, is dead of COVID-19 at 74.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/50976 ... plications
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sonic Youth wrote:
mlrg wrote:
mlrg wrote:20$ that the USA presidential election won’t happen this year
Wrote this on March 25th.

Today the lunatic tweeted that it would be a good idea to postpone the election.

Anyone still wanna bet the 20$?
That's too small. How about $1000?
If the election happens on the planned date I’ll wire you 20$. If it’s postponed you’ll wire 1000$. Are you in? :D
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

mlrg wrote:

Today the lunatic tweeted that it would be a good idea to postpone the election.

That's too small. How about $1000?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Portland recapitulating itself in New York.

But more just generalized rage-y discontent.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Orki wrote
Fucking hell.
What?
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Fucking hell.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sabin wrote:
dws1982 wrote
At what point are we ready as a culture to have a conversation about how it's gross to continue to give attention to him and exploit him for likes and clickbait on social media when he clearly has untreated mental illness?
Let's start today.
We don't need to have a conversation about the obvious.
Twitter, and other online spaces that drive cultural conversations, does not find it that obvious.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Call it what it is: "Trump's Gestapo"
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:Trump's interview with Chris Wallace this weekend is devastatingly bad. Just an absolute utter embarrassment. As someone said on Twitter, "'I don't care what the military says' (about bases named after Confederate generals) isn't even in the top 10 worst moments for Trump in that interview. It's that bad."
I've gotten beyond the point of caring what he says. As the old saying goes, "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me."

I'm much more concerned about what he does or doesn't do. Continuing to downplay testing and tracing of the coronavirus and sending his secret police thugs into major cities to arrest protesters and take them away in unmarked cars to who-knows-where are only the latest things for which he should be removed from office before the election but if not, then trounced in every state and shamed out of office.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:
dws1982 wrote
At what point are we ready as a culture to have a conversation about how it's gross to continue to give attention to him and exploit him for likes and clickbait on social media when he clearly has untreated mental illness?
Let's start today.
We don't need to have a conversation about the obvious.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
Let's start today.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Greg wrote:Apparently, Kanye West's presidential campaign is back on.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Apparently, Kanye West's presidential campaign is back on.

Return to “Current Events”