Campaign 2020

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Campaign 2020

Post by Big Magilla »

If you replace it you destroy it. You make it better by fixing the things that are wrong with it.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You mean replace Obamacare. Neither Sanders or Warren have advocated destroying Obamacare. Just replacing it with something different/better and if they cannot it stays in tact.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Only time will tell.

At this point I hope that either Biden gets his act together, Warren and Sanders back off their determination to destroy Obamacare or someone else breaks through.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
It seems unlikely but at this point four years ago no one was predicting Trump would get the Republican nomination. One thing seems clear, though, if he is nominated and Trump is still around, Bloomberg will wipe the floor with him.
I mean, isn't that true of a lot of people who aren't going to be the Democratic nominee? Like, Michelle Obama and The Rock? They'd both win. But... who cares? They're not going to be the Democratic nominee.

That being said: I don't know if Trump vs. Bloomberg, I don't know if he'll win. Will blacks and latinos come out to vote for him after stop and frisk? Will progressives? It seems to me that his success would entirely depend on courting the center in the general election... Didn't we try that last time?

Michael Bloomberg is one of the only people who could run for President and give impression than he is more out of touch and cares less about the people of this country than Donald Trump.

"Why don't we run an warmthless Jewish billionaire?"
Last edited by Sabin on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Bloomberg decided not to run in March when it looked like Biden would easily win. With Biden's less than stellar performance since, he thinks he can win California, Texas and other states on Super Tuesday if Biden should fail to win South Carolina five days earlier after losing Iowa and New Hampshire.

It seems unlikely but at this point four years ago no one was predicting Trump would get the Republican nomination. One thing seems clear, though, if he is nominated and Trump is still around, Bloomberg will wipe the floor with him. Unlike other billionaires who were and are not serious contenders, he has a track record from his three terms as Mayor of New York, the first two of which were as a Republican, the third as an Independent. He will get votes from Independents and Republicans as well as Democrats. Progressives will either go along or stay home just as New York's progressives did.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In what world does Mike Bloomberg pick up one state in the Democratic Primary? Any state?

"Joe Biden isn't doing so great. You know who'd do even better! Joe Biden with no grassroots support, working class appeal, or support from African-Americans. That guy would do great in a Democratic primary."

This is truly remarkable. Do these people know anything? How do I know this and they don't?

The only world in which this makes any kind of sense is if Joe Biden is secretly planning on dropping out. I'm being serious. He seems like he's losing his mind but he's still doing pretty well in South Carolina and Nevada. He has strong support among African-Americans for some reason. He could tough it out, maybe play spoiler to Liz and Bernie, and take it on the second ballot. He could just keep the course.

But if Joe Biden isn't planning on dropping out, then a Bloomberg candidacy will take his votes and probably flip the primary to Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders.

Maybe I'm giving the Democratic establishment too much credit. Maybe it's just him. Maybe Mayor Mike has an idiotic savior complex and he can just say "splurge" and run for President like I do when I buy every season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Like "You know what? I deserve this."

In what world does Mike Bloomberg enter the Democratic primary and win?

"I am running on a platform of defeating Donald Trump, and stopping and frisking you if you look like you have drugs. Thank you for your vote. Enjoy a medium soda."
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

If these billionaires can run presidential campaigns on a whim, they can also be wealth-taxed.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Bloomberg signals interest in entering presidential race:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... l-race-nyt

If he runs, he will run in the Democratic primaries. The last thing the Democrats need is someone who became a billionaire, not by producing anything of value, but, by participating in speculative bubbles.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don’t take my news from bed-bugs.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

"Elizabeth Warren Wants to Lose Your Vote" by Bret Stephens

Interesting opinion piece in Friday's New York Times by never-Trump Republican Stephens so take it with a grain of salt, but the 550,000 people she could put of work in the insurance industry and the 800,000 she could put out of work in the tech industry with her ideas could be her undoing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/25/opin ... Position=3
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Who needs whistleblowers when ya got Rudy?

"Rudy Giuliani butt-dials NBC reporter, heard discussing need for cash and trashing Bidens:"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... h-n1071901
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:
Okri wrote:So, if Trump actually loses, the GOP is going to start a war, aren't they?
I think they would more likely try to foment social unrest via, for example, Tea Partiers.
Weren't most of these clowns tea partiers to begin with?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
I think these are a bunch of Wall-Street Democrats who are being dishonest about what really terrifies them. It is not Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren losing; it is Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren winning.
Oh, for sure. The Dems would rather lose to Trump than win with Warren or Sanders (possibly Warren, definitely Sanders).
Okri wrote
So, if Trump actually loses, the GOP is going to start a war, aren't they?
Not the GOP. They'll throw a party. Just his supporters.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Okri wrote:So, if Trump actually loses, the GOP is going to start a war, aren't they?
I think they would more likely try to foment social unrest via, for example, Tea Partiers.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

So, if Trump actually loses, the GOP is going to start a war, aren't they?

Return to “Current Events”