R.I.P. John McCain

Greg
Tenured

Re: R.I.P. John McCain

Post by Greg »

One interesting fact is that, even though John McCain lived to be 81, he is still survived by his mother, 106-year-old Roberta McCain.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. John McCain

Post by Big Magilla »

It's fitting, I suppose, that he died of the same disease nine years to the day as Ted Kennedy.

Apparently Sanders and Kelly prepared a White House statement for Trump to sign calling McCain a hero, but he refused to sign it, sending out instead his lame tweet that his thoughts and prayers are with the family.

What I find totally disgusting is the way the Trump base is in lock step with their glorious leader over the treatment of McCain who was their hero in 2008.

Most of my friends and family are thankfully anti-Trumpers, but I have a second cousin and his wife of more than 50 years, a woman I only met a few years ago after reconnecting with my cousin, who are rabid pro-Trumpers, especially the wife. It used to be that their Facebook messages were about food and grandchildren. Now it's all about Trump to the horror of their four daughters, the daughters' significant others and their ten grandchildren. Even after two of their daughters called their mother out on her insane rantings last week, the Facebook messages from both of them continue, especially from the wife. They "share" messages from so many crackpot sites that I could ban ten a day and still find more. It's like they eat, sleep and breathe Trump. Not one word about McCain's passing from either of them, though. Obama and Bush being asked by McCain to speak at his funeral and Trump asked not to come must really stick in their craw.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

R.I.P. John McCain

Post by Sabin »

Well, I'm from Arizona so I'll post it...

Sen. John McCain died yesterday after a long battle with brain cancer. There's a lot to be said about this complicated guy. He was there at the dawn of my political awakening, in the run up to the 2000 election. I think the most interesting thing about him is that usually candidates have to lose the election to become elder statesmen. McCain felt like an elder statesman during the Bush administration (where his opinions carried more gravity than anyone else's) and lost his standing up to run for President again. I think we'd all be better off if he never ran for President again and I bet John McCain probably wouldn't disagree. It was a low water mark in his career. Afterwards, he lost his voice. There were glimmers here and there (the skinny vote repeal), but he just seemed like a grumpy old guy who never got over losing and stuck to his talking points.

I'm sure there are people who truly are mourning John McCain. What I am letting go of is this hope that I realized I have been hanging onto for a long time: "Maybe John McCain will [fill in the blank]." That one desperate shred of loyalty I have to a man who was accused of class warfare (a Republican!!!) and drove a shitty van up to New Hampshire with the Daily Show in tow. He hadn't been that person for a long time.

John McCain is dead. There is NOBODY to hold out hope for on that side anymore. Thoughts and prayers to that complicated man's family, but me...? Yes, I am feeling something as well. I liked having one good Republican. I liked holding onto hope.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”