Web of Sex Scandals

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Web of Sex Scandals

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Really? He grabbed her butt or that's where his hand landed when he pulled her in tight to take his umpteenth picture of the day? And in front of her husband? Give me a break.
First, let me clarify. What I should've said was I think it's likely that there will be more accusations coming up - maybe not, but I'm getting a bad feeling about where this is going - and if that's so, and if they are true, then he should step aside. I mean, he has to know there will be more accusations if they exist. He should just spare himself and his party the humiliation. I certainly don't think this incident BY ITSELF should be a career ender. Not at all.
And here we are.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Silence Breakers are TIME's 2017 Person of the Year:

https://www.today.com/news/silence-brea ... ar-t119689
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:
ITALIANO wrote: There's something deeply disturbing in all this, and no, I am not referring to the accused men for once.
"For once"?? Let's not overstate things, shall we?

(BTW, I'm flattered that you use your most elaborate English for me, but I prefer the word "terpsichorean", thank you.)
My English may not be as good as yours, but it's full of content at least. Yours is just surface and jokes. But you are still reasonably young - you can change.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote: There's something deeply disturbing in all this, and no, I am not referring to the accused men for once.
"For once"?? Let's not overstate things, shall we?

(BTW, I'm flattered that you use your most elaborate English for me, but I prefer the word "terpsichorean", thank you.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

I think that Oliver Willis tweet says everything that has to be said.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/936271159720579074

"Does Hillary Clinton (a woman) have the temperament to be president?" - asked by the men abusing and raping their coworkers and subordinates.

That was 2016.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:
taki15 wrote:Don't be so hard on Lauer. He was just helping a fellow sexual predator.
Wasn't sure who you meant at first, but now I think I do.

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/29/matt-l ... y-scandal/

I see a sliding scale forming. The Garrison Keillor accusation really does look like a big pile of nothing, and no, you can't compare Franken to Moore, but he's a creep and so is Barton (who I actually felt bad for at first). That's quite a way to cap off a legacy, Mr. Conyers. I'll wait until everything has come out about President Smallhands before evaluating him, and it will come out. Moore, Weinstein and Spacey may be the top of their echelons, but Matt Lauer... wow. I don't know if he's the worst of them all, but he's clearly the most evil.
The tricoteuses are back... I am so glad that I don't find any pleasure in reading about such stuff, in making lists of (possible) sexual predators, in amxiously looking for new ones every day, in mixing the guilty with the innocent (but then, sex is never innocent, right?). There's something deeply disturbing in all this, and no, I am not referring to the accused men for once.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:. . . but he's a creep and so is Barton (who I actually felt bad for at first). . .
I thought everything about Barton involved consenting adults.
Well, that is a difference, yes. It really should be no one's business. He has an appalling lack of judgement, though.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sonic Youth wrote:. . . but he's a creep and so is Barton (who I actually felt bad for at first). . .
I thought everything about Barton involved consenting adults.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

taki15 wrote:Don't be so hard on Lauer. He was just helping a fellow sexual predator.
Wasn't sure who you meant at first, but now I think I do.

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/29/matt-l ... y-scandal/

I see a sliding scale forming. The Garrison Keillor accusation really does look like a big pile of nothing, and no, you can't compare Franken to Moore, but he's a creep and so is Barton (who I actually felt bad for at first). That's quite a way to cap off a legacy, Mr. Conyers. I'll wait until everything has come out about President Smallhands before evaluating him, and it will come out. Moore, Weinstein and Spacey may be the top of their echelons, but Matt Lauer... wow. I don't know if he's the worst of them all, but he's clearly the most evil.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Don't be so hard on Lauer. He was just helping a fellow sexual predator.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Greg wrote:This is an even bigger surprise than Charlie Rose.
Eh, not really. Because nothing surprises anymore.

But Matt Lauer takes the cake, wears the crown, whatever cliche you want to use. Just dumbfounding.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/matt-l ... 202625959/

The special lock he installed for his office.... the lengths NBC went to in order to protect this guy, up to and including this morning... all totally normal, right? I mean, people are not perfect and you gotta think of the bottom line.

(BTW, it was amusing to read that Keillor's wife - a classical violinist - is named Jenny Lind Nilsson. Classical music aficionados will understand.)
I was as shocked as you can be these days by Charlie Rose, but not Matt Lauer. I never liked him, always thought he was a phony. That hardboiled interview of Hillary and softball interview of Trump last year was the last straw, not that I ever watched him much anyway, but after that I couldn't take him at all.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

These scandals are spreading worldwide as they should. This is a rundown on a 'popular' Australian gardening TV host. I've never seen the show and have never given the man a second thought - would recognise him if I walked past him - but apparently he is a huge celebrity. Don't read if eating, it is beyond sickening behaviour spanning over 20 years:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... f2227a365c
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:This is an even bigger surprise than Charlie Rose.
Eh, not really. Because nothing surprises anymore.

But Matt Lauer takes the cake, wears the crown, whatever cliche you want to use. Just dumbfounding.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/matt-l ... 202625959/

The special lock he installed for his office.... the lengths NBC went to in order to protect this guy, up to and including this morning... all totally normal, right? I mean, people are not perfect and you gotta think of the bottom line.

(BTW, it was amusing to read that Keillor's wife - a classical violinist - is named Jenny Lind Nilsson. Classical music aficionados will understand.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

This is an even bigger surprise than Charlie Rose.

Garrison Keillor Accused Of 'Inappropriate Behavior,' Minnesota Public Radio Says:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... radio-says

Return to “Current Events”