Web of Sex Scandals

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Web of Sex Scandals

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:But now I'm intrigued, Magilla. You're not saying you know better what an ass-grab feels like than a woman does, are you? :P
Everything is context.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:Really? He grabbed her butt or that's where his hand landed when he pulled her in tight to take his umpteenth picture of the day? And in front of her husband? Give me a break.
First, let me clarify. What I should've said was I think it's likely that there will be more accusations coming up - maybe not, but I'm getting a bad feeling about where this is going - and if that's so, and if they are true, then he should step aside. I mean, he has to know there will be more accusations if they exist. He should just spare himself and his party the humiliation. I certainly don't think this incident BY ITSELF should be a career ender. Not at all.

(I tried to qualify the above the best I could.)

But now I'm intrigued, Magilla. You're not saying you know better what an ass-grab feels like than a woman does, are you? :P
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Weapon of choice against every Democrat running for re-election. The bar has been set at butt-grabbing. This could be very bad.

But most disconcerting, let’s hope nobody can find anything on Mueller.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Franken's ex-staffers have also come out in defense of him saying he never treated any of them with anything but respect and support.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Really? He grabbed her butt or that's where his hand landed when he pulled her in tight to take his umpteenth picture of the day? And in front of her husband? Give me a break.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Woman says Franken inappropriately touched her in 2010
By MJ Lee, CNN National Politics Reporter

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politics/ ... index.html

I was on the fence about what to do with Franken when the first allegations came out. Not any more. Now there's another woman, which means there will be 20 more and we haven't even delved into the offices of NBC studios in the 1970s yet. Fortunately, it's Thanksgiving week. Al's lucky. He can make a quiet exit on Wed. or Fri. with barely anyone noticing.

The lesson here: never expect accusations to stop at one.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:It's just a link to an opinion piece of which more will follow. It will certainly could be a potentially very awkward viewing experience.

But this on-going scandal, with new allegations emerging almost daily, are changing the entertainment industry and how people view it.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/aw ... fcc24ff69b
I'm assuming the Kyle Smith who wrote this is the arch-conservative former N.Y. Post critic, and not some Australian dude with the same name.

Yes, we can expect more of the same from the righteous right and the indignant left, while those in the middle mostly shrug.

I don't know anything about Jeffrey Tambor off-screen, but if the accusations are true, then he did the right thing in walking off Transparent. If they're not, then he should have held his ground and waited to be vindicated, but one can certainly understand his wanting to distance himself from the fray.

As I've said before, there's a witch hunt going on that will take the innocent with the guilty.

How do the mainstream Republicans get to give the middle finger to that odious hypocritical pig from Alabama while playing footsie with Trump?

How do Trump and Clarence Thomas get to keep their jobs while Bill Clinton gets re-tried on TV and in the press by card-carrying liberals as well as conservatives?

Why do little old ladies in New Jersey pass along Conservative News articles with screaming headlines like "why is no one talking about Joe Biden getting naked in front of a female secret service agent?"

They're not going to cancel the Oscars, or the Globes, or any of the other awards shows, but it will be interesting to see which A-listers show up as presenters and which ones don't.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

It's just a link to an opinion piece of which more will follow. It will certainly could be a potentially very awkward viewing experience.

But this on-going scandal, with new allegations emerging almost daily, are changing the entertainment industry and how people view it.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/aw ... fcc24ff69b
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Jeffrey Tambor Announces He's Leaving Transparent Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations:

http://people.com/tv/jeffrey-tambor-not ... ansparent/
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:
"I just made the most epic prediction ever" meaning I just predicted Senator Al Franken would be the next politician to get caught up in the accusations. This renders your response to me a complete non-sequitur.
Good to know :D
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Even if you assume her story is 100% accurate (and, we can't help but notice, she appears regularly on Sean Hannity's show, and the dread Roger Stone was given enough heads-up on the story to tweet about it last night), to equate this with sexual assault confirms my fear that any and all gaucheries are going to start being lumped together. What Roy Moore, Harvey Weinstein, Louis CK and Kevin Spacey are accused of doing is genuinely horrible; what Franken did (in the first case, and maybe even the second) was puerile.
Whether this is true or not should have absolutely no bearing on the fact that I just made the most epic prediction ever!
The prediction in itself isn't epic, of course. I thought it was quite obvious actually. But the way it was misunderstood - leading to you and others accusing me of being pro-rape and pro- paedophilia (I had never mentioned children, of course!) - was of epic proportions, really. Of hysterically epic proportions.
"I just made the most epic prediction ever" meaning I just predicted Senator Al Franken would be the next politician to get caught up in the accusations. This renders your response to me a complete non-sequitur.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Even if you assume her story is 100% accurate (and, we can't help but notice, she appears regularly on Sean Hannity's show, and the dread Roger Stone was given enough heads-up on the story to tweet about it last night), to equate this with sexual assault confirms my fear that any and all gaucheries are going to start being lumped together. What Roy Moore, Harvey Weinstein, Louis CK and Kevin Spacey are accused of doing is genuinely horrible; what Franken did (in the first case, and maybe even the second) was puerile.
Whether this is true or not should have absolutely no bearing on the fact that I just made the most epic prediction ever!
The prediction in itself isn't epic, of course. I thought it was quite obvious actually. But the way it was misunderstood - leading to you and others accusing me of being pro-rape and pro- paedophilia (I had never mentioned children, of course!) - was of epic proportions, really. Of hysterically epic proportions. And very interesting, I think. This board has helped me alot through the years - not only when it comes to movies and the Oscars, as the level of discussions is one of the highest on the web. But also when it comes to, let's say, the way group mentality works (and not only in America. But only in America a simple photo of a person looking at another signing autographs can be commented in the way I've seen on some sites). I am always a bit scared by such attitude, but, I swear, not when it's about me here - I've stopped taking you seriously long ago, so, believe me, you can attack me any time you want, dont worry - but when I imagine how it can be applied to others, in much more important contexts. But I guess that what I find scary, others can find reassuring. And that's of course one of the reasons why such reactions happen.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote: any and all gaucheries are going to start being lumped together. .
Which is exactly what I predicted would happen. And more WILL happen, trust me.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: The state to worry about is New Jersey. If the ethics committee recommends and the senate agrees to expel Menendez before his Democratic successor takes over, Chris Christie gets to name his replacement.
Why would this happen when the prosecution ended in mistrial?
It shouldn't, of course, and hopefully won't, but there have been calls from the Rebubs to do just that.
Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: I don't want to fall into the habit of defending people just because they're on my side, but the initial reaction to Al Franken strikes me as pretty hysterically over the top. He posed for a douchey, meant-to-be-funny-in-a-frat-boy-way-but-wasn't photo (where he isn't touching the woman), and of kissing that woman way harder than she was expecting (though this detail he disputes). Even if you assume her story is 100% accurate (and, we can't help but notice, she appears regularly on Sean Hannity's show, and the dread Roger Stone was given enough heads-up on the story to tweet about it last night), to equate this with sexual assault confirms my fear that any and all gaucheries are going to start being lumped together. What Roy Moore, Harvey Weinstein, Louis CK and Kevin Spacey are accused of doing is genuinely horrible; what Franken did (in the first case, and maybe even the second) was puerile. If there are additional women who accuse him of the kissing maneuver the woman mentions, then he's got job trouble. But if this is essentially a one-off, I think it's ridiculous to say he should resign.
Breaking now, the tweeter-in-chief wants to know where Franken's hands were "in pictures 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6?" while still staying mute on Moore. He, not Franken, is the one who should resign, but that won't happen. Franken will survive this, but already the so-called liberal media is blowing this up way out of proportion the way they did Hillary's e-maisl to show their impartiality, as if what Franken did is anywhre near equal to the disgusting, criminal things Moore did.

Return to “Current Events”