Web of Sex Scandals

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Web of Sex Scandals

Post by ITALIANO »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:This is getting more messy by the day: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/entert ... 4zz75.html
Yeah... Not the most edifying story ever. Let me just say that in Italy going to bed with a 17-year-old wouldn't be a crime at all. But of course it's different in California.
But should it be? Is the age of consent the real problem? Where shall we draw a line? Should a line be drawn? I think the answer is yes, but I'd like to know your view on this.
Yes. A line should be drawn, and it certainly depends on several factors, including cultural ones. Where, it's maybe subjective, and my idea - which more or less matches the Italian law - would probably lead to more attacks from the puritans here. But well, let me say at least that the idea that a 17-year-old can't have sex is... how shall I put it... absurd? I mean, who DIDN'T have sex at 17?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

HarryGoldfarb wrote: I don't know... the movement surely has a good, valid and important intention, a noble reason that jusitifies its own existence. But this is so contradictory. Per her own words, the whole thing could have been encouraged (consensual) but now it is "the right time" (fashionable?) to talk about it (even though she specifically stated to her "friend" that she wouldn't do it).
Lots of contradictions go on in some many things in everyday life. Problem I think is that people (because it happens to men, not just women) feel that can't speak up and they need to 'please'. Sometimes it can be very hard to say something to a 'friend' because people can turn and if they have power you don't know how they are going to exercise it. Lots of people maintain toxic friendships and relationships for all sorts of reasons.

I'm attaching a link to the entire interview. On the webpage there is also a transcript of the interview:

https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/actor-yael- ... t/10629070
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Precious Doll wrote:Geoffrey Rush's career is over. There is no way he can recover from these further allegations:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-17/ ... h/10625916
"I saw him as a friend and a really respected colleague, and we'd become close over the years," she said. / "He's an incredibly fun, charming man." / She is sympathetic towards Mr Rush and says she can understand why he might feel confused by her public statement now, given her apparent compliance in 2010. / "Certain behaviour has been allowed, if not encouraged along the way and suddenly, a lot of people have stood up and said, 'No, actually. No'," Ms Stone said. / In the email, Ms Stone said she did not intend to ever speak publicly about the matter.

I don't know... the movement surely has a good, valid and important intention, a noble reason that jusitifies its own existence. But this is so contradictory. Per her own words, the whole thing could have been encouraged (consensual) but now it is "the right time" (fashionable?) to talk about it (even though she specifically stated to her "friend" that she wouldn't do it).
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

ITALIANO wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:This is getting more messy by the day: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/entert ... 4zz75.html
Yeah... Not the most edifying story ever. Let me just say that in Italy going to bed with a 17-year-old wouldn't be a crime at all. But of course it's different in California.
But should it be? Is the age of consent the real problem? Where shall we draw a line? Should a line be drawn? I think the answer is yes, but I'd like to know your view on this.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Geoffrey Rush's career is over. There is no way he can recover from these further allegations:

It just goes to show that some men can never get out of the syndrome as depicted in the film Porky's.
Indeed.

Just finishing watching the interview - even worse behaviour by Rush exposed in the interview. :oops:

I should point out that this reporting has been done by the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). It is a completely taxpayer (Government) funded organisation that carries out its reporting in an apolitical manner and can be relied upon to check fact everything before it airs. They are not some commercial network looking for easy ratings.

Over the years the ABC have reported on all sorts of matters in the public interest including the inappropriate behaviour of political parties (including Governments in power), Government agencies (such as the ATO - the US version of the IRS) and industries such as those involved in banking, fiancee, superannuation, aged care, etc which have led to Royal Commissions.

A couple of years ago they presented a show on allegations against George Pell, and Australian Cardinal who until recently held one of the highest positions in the Vatican. As a result of their investigations George Pell was last week found guilty of two cases of sexually abusing minors. He faces sentencing and is due to stand another trial in the new year in relation to other allegations. Pell is the highest ranking person of the Catholic Church to ever be convicted of these sorts of crimes. This is thanks in a large part to the ABC and their investigative journalism.

I'll post a link to the interview with by the 7.30 report once its online which I would expect to be within the next 24 hours.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

It just goes to show that some men can never get out of the syndrome as depicted in the film Porky's.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Geoffrey Rush's career is over. There is no way he can recover from these further allegations:

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I know that some here won't agree - they CAN'T - but like it or not ideas can also be judge (by many) based on those who most passionately represent them - and undertandably so. A movement is defined not only by the principles it adheres to, but also by the people who lead it. And there's always something wrong with fanatics - be they in the MeToo movement, on this board, or anywhere else. The ultimate result? A loss of credibility not just for the movement itself - which I never believed in, of course, but many even here did - but for the ideas it promoted, some of which are absolutely right.

And no, before some idiot starts again, I am not pro-sexual harassment, etc.
Italiano you can say what you want. Haters gonna hate even if you provide "disclaimers" like you just did in your closing paragraph :D . It's all about vision. A lot of it is limited unfortunately and prone to hysterical accusations which this "movement" is also starting to bear witness to. The "movement" IS important of course, especially in theory, but getting into the nitty gritty of it is like shit hitting the fan. Only in a bad way where it is now being used as a tool to get satisfaction.
I'm sure that even in MeToo there are many sincere - and sincerely committed - people. And even its leaders are probably honest - their main problem (like in other, completely different movements) is fanaticism, which is never the best, most effective way to face a problem - even a real problem like the one MeToo deals with.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:I know that some here won't agree - they CAN'T - but like it or not ideas can also be judge (by many) based on those who most passionately represent them - and undertandably so. A movement is defined not only by the principles it adheres to, but also by the people who lead it. And there's always something wrong with fanatics - be they in the MeToo movement, on this board, or anywhere else. The ultimate result? A loss of credibility not just for the movement itself - which I never believed in, of course, but many even here did - but for the ideas it promoted, some of which are absolutely right.

Italiano you can say what you want. Haters gonna hate even if you provide "disclaimers" like you just did in your closing paragraph :D . It's all about vision. A lot of it is limited unfortunately and prone to hysterical accusations which this "movement" is also starting to bear witness to. The "movement" IS important of course, especially in theory, but getting into the nitty gritty of it is like shit hitting the fan. Only in a bad way where it is now being used as a tool to get satisfaction.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I know that some here won't agree - they CAN'T - but like it or not ideas can also be judge (by many) based on those who most passionately represent them - and undertandably so. A movement is defined not only by the principles it adheres to, but also by the people who lead it. And there's always something wrong with fanatics - be they in the MeToo movement, on this board, or anywhere else. The ultimate result? A loss of credibility not just for the movement itself - which I never believed in, of course, but many even here did - but for the ideas it promoted, some of which are absolutely right.

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

ITALIANO wrote:
I hope you all realize how ridiculous all this is getting.
Yep. Asia is proceeding with her lawsuit against Rose McGowan. I don't think she has a hope in hell of winning:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/asi ... ccounter=1
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

In the meantime Asia Argento has been fired from the Italian version of X-Factor, which is ironic not only because nothing has been proved yet, but most importantly because in this country (Italy) what she may have done with this Jimmy Bennett would be perfectly legal. I would never do it, but like it or not, in Italy and in several other European countries it would be legal. But of course this calvinistic approach has become fashionable, and Italy is sadly copying the US.

Anf next Sunday, a very popular talk show will have as a special guest - directly from America - Jimmy Bennett in person, paid (obviously) very, very well for his trip here.

I hope you all realize how ridiculous all this is getting.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

More development in relation to Asia Argento, this time in relation to Rose McGowan twitter comments:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/s ... se-mcgowan

Also Sean Penn weighs in with his thoughts on the #metoo movement, which appear to be somewhat typical of someone who has never been on the receiving end of abuse and violence:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/s ... -criticism
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Asia Argento/Jimmy Bennett story just keeps going and getting crazier:

https://deadline.com/2018/09/asia-argen ... 202457887/

Speaking of MeToo, I attending a talk/interview given by Ronan Farrow about 9 days ago. Most of the talk and interview focused on journalism, broadly covering MeToo but also his book War on Peace and his upcoming book Catch and Kill which appears to deal with powerful people having stories about themselves repressed by the media by dubious means (my words). He didn't want to say much about his upcoming book.

He talked about the struggles of the media the break stories and how the U.S. under the current administration, due to its isolationist policies is allowing China to fill the void in diplomatic relations that the U.S. once held no. 1 position.

Farrow was a voice of reason and common sense when compared to rantings of Steven Bannon just last Monday night on an Australian current affairs program 4 Corners in which he had a one on one interview with Adele Ferguson (one of Australia's best and most respected investigative journalists) - garbled nonsense was all she could get from him along with some unwarranted abuse.

Anyway back to Ronan Farrow, the whole thing lasted exactly one hour and a lot was covered. He appeared to also allude to the Asia Argento controversy as he mentioned something of a blowback during the past week. He didn't mention any actress by name and he may have been referring the MeToo story but that was how I took it and I most certainly could be wrong in assuming that.

The only person from the film world that was even spoke of besides Harvey was his grandfather John Farrow who he mentioned was Australian that caused a collective large gasp from the audience. That was the funniest moment of a rather sombre talk/interview.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Return to “Current Events”