2017 Nobel Prizes

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Re: 2017 Nobel Prizes

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Ishiguro almost seems like too safe a choice - yes, he does write exquisitely and he is quite well known, but there are so many writers I might have listed before him. I'm generally pleased with the choice, but it's a bit lightweight.

I forget where I saw this, but someone had written that Ian MacEwan must be red with jealousy over this.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Here is the menu for the Nobel Banquet:

Pressed and dried Jerusalem artichoke, served with kohlrabi flowers
flavoured with ginger and lightly roasted cabbage broth

Crispy saddle of lamb, potato terrine with Svedjan crème,
yellow beet, salt-baked celeriac, apple salad and rosemary-spiced lamb gravy

Frosty bilberry bavaroise, bilberry ice cream with lemon thyme,
lime jelly, lime curd and lime meringues
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2017 was awarded to Richard H. Thaler "for his contributions to behavioural economics".
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Heksagon wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:I agree, but the question Heksagon put out was LIVING.
I did say that, but to be fair, I didn't actually follow that restriction myself either. Sienkiewicz did not live to see Quo Vadis get nominated. :roll:

Singer was still alive when Yentl was released though.
Oh, living at the time of the movie. I thought you meant living now, and cited a bunch of dead authors who had BP movies based on their books. Whoops.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I did say that, but to be fair, I didn't actually follow that restriction myself either. Sienkiewicz did not live to see Quo Vadis get nominated. :roll:

Singer was still alive when Yentl was released though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

LOL! It's been a rough day!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:
Heksagon wrote:I guess even those who haven't read Ishiguro's books are familiar with the film adaptation of The Remains of the Day. I believe this film also makes Ishiguro the only living Nobel Prize winner whose work has been adapted to an Oscar nominated Best Picture. Others (that I can think of) have been John Steinbeck, Boris Pasternak, Ernest Hemingway, Pearl S. Buck, Eugene O'Neill, Sinclair Lewis, G.B. Shaw and Henryk Sienkiewicz.
Alice Munro probably came the closest with Away from Her.
I don't know about that. Away from Her only garnered two nominations, Isaac Bashevis Singer's Yentl garnered five. Thomas Mann's Death in Venice has just one less nomination than Away from Her, having garnered only one.

William Faulkner has the most screen credits of the literature laureates, but never came close to an Oscar nod either for his screenplays (The Big Sleep, Land of the Pharaohs) or through others' adaptations (The Long Hot Summer, Tarnished Angels, The Sound and the Fury). The Sound and the Fury is easily the worst film ever made from the work of a Nobel laureate.
I agree, but the question Heksagon put out was LIVING.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2017 to the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Heksagon wrote:I guess even those who haven't read Ishiguro's books are familiar with the film adaptation of The Remains of the Day. I believe this film also makes Ishiguro the only living Nobel Prize winner whose work has been adapted to an Oscar nominated Best Picture. Others (that I can think of) have been John Steinbeck, Boris Pasternak, Ernest Hemingway, Pearl S. Buck, Eugene O'Neill, Sinclair Lewis, G.B. Shaw and Henryk Sienkiewicz.
I don't know about that. Away from Her only garnered two nominations, Isaac Bashevis Singer's Yentl garnered five. Thomas Mann's Death in Venice has just one less nomination than Away from Her, having garnered only one.

William Faulkner has the most screen credits of the literature laureates, but never came close to an Oscar nod either for his screenplays (The Big Sleep, Land of the Pharaohs) or through others' adaptations (The Long Hot Summer, Tarnished Angels, The Sound and the Fury). The Sound and the Fury is easily the worst film ever made from the work of a Nobel laureate.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Greg wrote:The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2017 is awarded to Kazuo Ishiguro "who, in novels of great emotional force, has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world".
Great choice. Has written a number of great books (that have also been turned into great films). Fully deserved for a most interesting writer.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Typically The Swedish Academy likes to surprise by awarding the Literature Prize to writers who are unknown to most people, but this time they decide to surprise by giving the Prize to a writer who is well known, but who no one really thought was going to win. Incidentally, Kazuo Ishiguro is the first Literature Prize winner whose novels i have read before they were awarded. (Across all categories, the only other Nobel Prize winner whose books of any kind I had read before they were awarded is Paul Krugman)

I guess even those who haven't read Ishiguro's books are familiar with the film adaptation of The Remains of the Day. I believe this film also makes Ishiguro the only living Nobel Prize winner whose work has been adapted to an Oscar nominated Best Picture. Others (that I can think of) have been John Steinbeck, Boris Pasternak, Ernest Hemingway, Pearl S. Buck, Eugene O'Neill, Sinclair Lewis, G.B. Shaw and Henryk Sienkiewicz.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I'm happy with Ishiguro being chosen. I'm sure all of us have seen the film version of Remains of the Day, but if you haven't read the novel, I highly recommend it. I've read it twice, and it's exquisite. The prose is beautiful, and his ability to reveal a complex psychology via the first person is incredibly well-done. I would also highly recommend An Artist of the Floating World, the first book I read by him.

BJ, I love the idea of Wendell Berry winning a Nobel. He writes beautifully, and helps keep us rooted in the earth at a time when we have become increasingly removed from it. I'm not sure how well he's known internationally, but he certainly has a cult following here. A Nobel seems unlikely, but it would be an astute and delightful choice.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm not as well-versed on the Nobel Literature winners, but isn't Ishiguro's seven novels a relatively small body of work for the Nobel prize?

Not that it would EVER happen, but my off-the-wall Nobel Literature wish is always Wendell Berry. His Port William novels are worthy of Faulkner, his poetry is great, and his essays (the few I've read) are excellent as well. But he would be pretty obscure, and lots of Americans would even be asking "Who?" if he won it.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

After the populist choice of Dylan last year, I figured they'd over-correct by picking some obscure Albanian poet. But I'm delighted by the choice of Ishiguro, a writer of wonderful, delicate prose.

Return to “Current Events”