Poll: Rename "Life Under Trump"

What should we re-name the "Life Under Trump" thread?

Alternate Reality
8%
Decline of the American Empire
8%
End of Times: The Early Days
25%
The Fake Presidency
17%
Impending Impeachment News
8%
Life in Fascist America
No votes
Not Our President
No votes
Sweet Potato Hitler's Reign
No votes
Enemy of the People
8%
Yes It Happened. Deal with It.
17%
Other (please leave comment if selecting this option)
8%

Total votes: 12

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Rename "Life Under Trump"

Post by Big Magilla »

Changed to "Everything Is Great Again".
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Really detest that name. I don't care if we're using the term ironically, it's a phrase that has nationalistic connotations, which should not be at all involved in polite conversations.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Since there has been no real consensus, I'm re-naming it something completely different - "Making America Great Again". Those who support Trump can take it literally. Those who don't, hopefully can appreciate the irony.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We're still far from a consensus.

I changed "We're Fucked" to "Enemy of the People" and switched my vote from "Fake Presidency" to that. I think that's what he really is, despite his calling the press that.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

New Developments III is an existing thread that is used for other things. The Decision 2016 thread was created to exclusively comment on the American election of last year. The Life Under Trump thread was created for post-election comments because unlike other post-elections, concerns over this one are not going to go away anytime soon .

I don't think anyone is laughing. Some of these titles have a sarcastic tone to them, but none of them are funny in a traditional sense. What is happening is far too real.

Right now, The Fake Presidency is winning with 3 votes to 2 each for End of Times: The Early Days and Yes It Happened. Deal with It, which sounds like a quote from Kellyanne Conway. Alternate reality, which is what all of this feels like, has one vote.

I changed the Brexit entry to Decline of the American Empire, the title Wesley temporarily changed it to.

If you've already voted and want to change your vote, you can. I enabled the option.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

New Developments.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Bog wrote
Because of the similarities or that you don't see them?
My grandmother is a Holocaust survivor. I don't make Hitler comparisons lightly.

Bog wrote
This thread will see congressional relief in 2 (fucking 2018 is so damn grim it's disgusting) or more likely 4 years...and President at worst in 2024...when we will rejoice while others lament...then rinse and repeat when Cruz becomes President in 2032 and on and on and on...
2018 is SO grim.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sabin wrote:And I'm not a fan of the "Orange Hitler" jokes. At all.
Because of the similarities or that you don't see them?

I also made suggestions but suppose there was no need to initially change away from New Developments any way...as this is the only thread utilized under current events really, correct? I feel as distraught as I ever have over this situation...but I am able to be constantly conscious of the alternative due to the conservative valued (attempting the most benign description possible) individuals in my life who both felt this same distress in January of '09 as well as think Trump thus far is even better than expected.

This, in part is why I suggested the whine based titles...if pressed I would also go with simply New Developments or Politics or Political landscape or maybe Current Events.

This thread will see congressional relief in 2 (fucking 2018 is so damn grim it's disgusting) or more likely 4 years...and President at worst in 2024...when we will rejoice while others lament...then rinse and repeat when Cruz becomes President in 2032 and on and on and on...
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm in favor of "New Developments" as well.

I understand the desire to make light of this situation. You'll note that I suggested the title "The End of Times: The Early Days" and "We're Fucked." I personally lean a little more towards "We're Fucked" but to be honest, I don't want to laugh at this. At all. I'm starting to think that a lot of the comedy that we're seeing diminishes our power and not his. And I'm not a fan of the "Orange Hitler" jokes. At all.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

With just 7 votes and a 3-way tie at 2 votes each this poll is far from conclusive. I'll leave it up a little while longer, but without a clear preference I'm inclined to make Wesley's temporary title of "The Decline of the American Empire" permanent.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I'd just go back to "New Developments". I mean, we are where we are, and snarky titles seem like featherweight statements compared to the serious situation we're in right now. But I know I'm alone on this...
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I changed it (temporarily) to "The Decline of the American Empire," but go with whatever you want.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

End of times: the early days
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Poll: Rename "Life Under Trump"

Post by Big Magilla »

This raving lunatic that a minority of American voters have made our president, will have to be endured by the rest of America and the world at large until he finishes his 4-8 year stint, grows bored and resigns, becomes incapacitated, dies, or is impeached by the so-far, go-along Republican congress.

That doesn't mean that we have to read his every tweet, hang on his every utterance or even see his name if we don't want to. To that end, I would like to rename the "Life Under Trump" thread which I started less than a month ago on 1/24/2017 to something else.

Please help rename it by voting for what you think the most appropriate new name should be from the suggestions that have been made.

Return to “Current Events”