Everything Is Great and Amazing

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Big Magilla »

Ironic, isn't it, that the Secret Service has gone broke protecting Trump, his family and associates?

http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/the-secret ... ing-trump/
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
Sabin, I'm very sorry about your grandmother.
Thank you. She's led an incredibly fine life. She's had children, grandchildren, is very comfortable and relatively active, still has her husband by her side, and she might still have quite a bit of time. We should all be so lucky.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Joel Pollak, Breitbart's Senior Editor just told Chuck Todd on MSNBC that they can build "the wall" with all the Confederate stations they're taking down. All also said that the most trusted man in Washington by Trump's base is Mike Pence, as if we didn't already know that.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. His father apparently wore a hood in a 1927 KKK march down Queen Blvd. in Jamaica, Queens:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 8467b50505

They're all coming out of the woodwork now, but no one should be surprised. "Make America great again" was always code for "put the white man back in charge."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Still waiting for Gallup next week, but...woof...not nearly as bad as I expected...

New CBS Poll. Only 55% of Americans said they disapproved of President Trump's response to Charlottesville. Only slightly more than half of Americans disapprove.

When you look at the hard numbers, it doesn't seem as shocking. He only has a third of the independents on his side for his handling of Charlottesville and 67% is perilously low approval within party lines for Republicans, but not what I expected.

For Democrats, 10% approve, 82% disapprove.
For Independents, 32% approve, 53% disapprove.
For Republicans, 67% approve, 22% disapprove.

It's an interesting poll because they go on to ask if President Trump's policies have encouraged racial unity, division, or not much effect, if the events in Charlottesville were an act of domestic terrorism, and if his description of who is to blame accurate. I'm praying this is the beginning of end and not a continuation of the new normal.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote:
criddic3 wrote:Laura Ingraham and Newt Gingrich, however, seem intent on trying to smooth over and interpret what Trump's goal was in making his statements at the infamous press conference. Gingrich is understandably beholden to Trump for making his wife, Calista, Ambassador to the Vatican, but Graham is just loony if she thinks this line of reasoning is actually helpful in any way.
They may be angling for a job. There could be a lot openings in the next few days, you know. As for everyone else, a lot of it's pride. No one likes to admit - to themselves or to anyone - that they made a mistake of historical magnitude.
Of course, there's one more possibility I didn't mention. That people aren't spinning and they actually believe what he's saying. And then his poll numbers start to go up.

Sabin, I'm very sorry about your grandmother.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I am so fucking triggered, I cannot even tell you guys. We had a conversation in my family whether or not to tell my grandmother about this. She's a Holocaust survivor living in a retirement home with pre-Alzheimer's dementia. We decided she doesn't need to know. I'm finding it difficult to do work. I'm finding it difficult to sleep. I have never hated anyone so much in my life as I do this man.

How do I diffuse this anger? By reminding myself that we elected this man. That we're face to face with an ugly, triggering side of the American id that we've thrust into the light. If we were doing that great a job of defeating this kind of ugly worldview, then Donald Trump would not have been elected in the first place. I'd rather not embolden racism, but at least we can't ignore how sick this country really is.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:Laura Ingraham and Newt Gingrich, however, seem intent on trying to smooth over and interpret what Trump's goal was in making his statements at the infamous press conference. Gingrich is understandably beholden to Trump for making his wife, Calista, Ambassador to the Vatican, but Graham is just loony if she thinks this line of reasoning is actually helpful in any way.
They may be angling for a job. There could be a lot openings in the next few days, you know. As for everyone else, a lot of it's pride. No one likes to admit - to themselves or to anyone - that they made a mistake of historical magnitude.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

The most bizarre aspect of the last 2 days has been the attempt to spin the President's comments into something palatable. It's just incredible the talking points -- obtained and published in The Weekly Standard, which has really gone after Trump on this issue. It seems that this whole, "well there was another bad group there" thing is an actual White House talking point. I don't know why they think that would work. They (Trump supporters) are so desperate to turn the page from this but the whole thing is so bad that you just know the Republican leadership is going nuts over it. Many have already taken to Twitter and elsewhere to scold the President about his comments. Laura Ingraham and Newt Gingrich, however, seem intent on trying to smooth over and interpret what Trump's goal was in making his statements at the infamous press conference. Gingrich is understandably beholden to Trump for making his wife, Calista, Ambassador to the Vatican, but Graham is just loony if she thinks this line of reasoning is actually helpful in any way.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I know we're not supposed to post links, but if anyone hasn't seen the Neo Nazi from the Vice series cry like the child that he is, watch this.

http://www.theroot.com/look-at-this-neo ... 1797903374
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My favorite tweet today was "Performance reviews this year should take into account that we were too stunned to work for six hours today."

This is the first time I honestly see the end in sight for him. For months, I've wondered about Republican leaders weighing the pros and cons of turning on Trump before the midterms. Which is honestly worse for them? And now, I think we might have the answer. One wishes Trump had come down on hate and intolerance as eloquently as Jeff Sessions of all people.

Who's calling for his resignation? What are we waiting for?
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Some (mostly befuddled GOP) pundits are asking, why would he cling so obviously to such awful people, when anyone knows they're not a majority? I think the answer is, while they certainly aren't a majority themselves, their wild enthusiasm may have been the difference in those three key states last November. Even if you assume the voting totals were on the up-and-up (I remain agnostic on the subject), the only reason he was able to squeak by Hillary in those vital spots was a turnout and margin in rural counties that dwarfed what Republicans have achieved post-Reagan/Mondale. It was giving those angry racists their favorite libation straight-up that appeared to make the difference for him.

And, even today, with his numbers so hideous, the only thing that keeps him afloat at all is the rabid fervor with which these people continue to support him (and the panic they evoke in other GOPers, who know they're going off a cliff, but think that'll happen sooner if they turn on Trump).

Sonic may be right, that we're getting near a point where he can't be tolerated any longer (Andy Borowitz parody headline today: "MIllions offer to work for Mueller for free if it'll speed things up"), but the ferocity of these white supremacists (and their, to coin a phrase, fellow travellers) tells us getting rid of him won't be anything close to painless. We may indeed finally have the long-delayed, decisive battles of the Civil War.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Yay!! He finally pivoted!

He went from 'unhinged' to 'batshit insane'.
Sometimes it feels like this insanity will never end.
Actually, I think it's the beginning of the end. (Meaning Trump, not us, although both are in the realm of possibility.)
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The President of the United States just held a press conference where he defended murderous Nazis.

Sometimes it feels like this insanity will never end.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Somehow all this reminds me of The Band Played On (1895),
lyrics by John F. Palmer, music by Charles B. Ward

Casey would waltz with a strawberry blonde
And the band played on.
He'd glide 'cross the floor with the girl he adored
And the band played on.
But his brain was so loaded it nearly exploded;
The poor girl would shake with alarm.