Everything Is Great and Amazing

Okri
Tenured

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Okri »

Big Magilla wrote:I thought he was referring to the shoot-out at the GOP baseball practice this morning.
Correct, though other news basically trumped that now.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought he was referring to the shoot-out at the GOP baseball practice this morning.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Are you referring to Sessions?
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, that happened.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Everything Is Great Again

Post by Sonic Youth »

Precious Doll wrote: The number of young people turning out to vote had a lot to do with Brexit where young people failed to get out there and vote and ended up with a result that they did not like - they only had themselves to blame.

They were not going to make the same mistake again.
There is no doubt about that.

But I can't agree that current geopolitics play no role in all these election results. Europeans surely can see that the Western alliance might degrade thanks to both Trump AND Brexit. Ironically, the pushback may end up making it stronger. Anyway, agree to disagree.

And hopefully the U.S. can look to Europe as models and vote likewise in 2018.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin wrote:From twitter:

THE WORLD: "It is officially impossible for the world to make less sense than it does now."

JOHN MCCAIN: "Hold my alligator."
The big question is, what does his mother have to say about this? Actually, she is still alive. Roberta McCain is 105 years young.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

danfrank wrote:People may well vote on their own country's issues, but I can't help but think that people are also amassing against the rise of far-right, nationalistic, xenophobic (particularly anti-Muslim) candidates throughout Europe and, yes, the U.S. The large youth turnout in Great Britain, for example, is being largely credited for the loss of seats by the Conservatives there. My guess is that these youth were more motivated to vote in this particular election in large part to take a stand against this broader wave.
The number of young people turning out to vote had a lot to do with Brexit where young people failed to get out there and vote and ended up with a result that they did not like - they only had themselves to blame.

They were not going to make the same mistake again.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A slight change in title.

Next to "great", the most overused word in Trump's limited vocabulary is "amazing". I think it's a more fitting word to use in the title than "again", which even his most ardent supporters are still waiting for. Meanwhile they can console themselves that their soothsayer is still proclaiming that everything is going to be great and amazing. Even he's dropped "again" from his mutterings.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Trump's election was a real shock here in Europe, and watching him bumble and bully every American ally has certainly done no favors to the nationalistic/far-right parties who vocally and enthusiastically supported him last year.
To say that there is no connection between the collapse of populist-nationalists in Europe and Trump's election is to deny the obvious. Even in the UK, Conservatives suffered in London in no small part because of Trump's ridiculous feud with Khan.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think younger voters are, on the whole, more global in their thinking, so I believe that some of the motivation is the Trump factor insomuch as the fact that religious conservative politicians in other nation were seeing how the Republicans and Trump managed to beat all expectations and win. many of them saw this as a roadmap to their majorities. The problem is that Trump has showcased how dangerous such rhetoric and unwavering neo-patriotism is and have seen it in their own politicians and decided to reject that type of ideology. The further see what can happen, with the US as an example, when you don't get out and vote and allow polls and assurances to dissuade you from voting in an election where your vote won't matter. They see that votes DO matter and react accordingly.

That's part of the issue. Britain also had that Brexit issue that they felt betrayed on and that also goosed participation. It's additionally thanks to Theresa May's blatant anti-Muslim rhetoric shortly after the concern and London Bridge attacks. That type of fearmongering doesn't play well to the younger generations.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I have an anecdote to share, and I know that being an anecdote it's not worth much, but take it as you will. In 2005, my wife and I lived in the Netherlands for part of the year. (I posted from there a few times.) At the time, a common image we came across was a picture of G.W. Bush and a monkey's face side-by-side. My wife told me that she saw quite a few of these in her colleague's work cubicles. That has to account for something.

I get what you're saying, and I don't mean to say Trump was anyone's deciding factor, and I don't mean to deny that other countries have their own autonomous interests. But I remember that photo-op Theresa May took with Trump where they were nearly hand-in-hand. It's got to have some sort of effect.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

People may well vote on their own country's issues, but I can't help but think that people are also amassing against the rise of far-right, nationalistic, xenophobic (particularly anti-Muslim) candidates throughout Europe and, yes, the U.S. The large youth turnout in Great Britain, for example, is being largely credited for the loss of seats by the Conservatives there. My guess is that these youth were more motivated to vote in this particular election in large part to take a stand against this broader wave.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think they do to the extent that young people all over the world are waking up to the fact that if they don't do something to stop the march toward isolationism in their own country they could end up with something similar to what is happening in the U.S.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Precious Doll wrote:I don't think elections outside of the U.S. has anything to do with Trump.

Countries have their own issues and vote accordingly. They don't base their voting on how or what the U.S. has done.
I know you're right, but c'mon! You can't deny the optics.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I don't think elections outside of the U.S. has anything to do with Trump.

Countries have their own issues and vote accordingly. They don't base their voting on how or what the U.S. has done.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “Current Events”