Everything Is Great and Amazing

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:44 am

In California, where you could check a box for a permanent absentee ballot, I voted by mail which was much easier especially during my working years when I would otherwise typically get home too late to vote. In New Jersey, as I understand it, you have to apply by mail in each election for an absentee ballot to be sent. It's a ridiculous waste of paper. Besides, my voting place is within walking distance.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Postby Precious Doll » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:42 am

Big Magilla wrote:We don't have early voting in New Jersey. Where I am it's mostly old people who go first thing in the morning. I usually wait until around 11 or 12 when I don't have to stand in long lines. I wouldn't mind, though, if it means a turn in the direction of the way the country is going.

This will be an historic election whichever way it goes. Either it will be a partial turn to normalcy or another disaster for the disenfranchised which will embolden McConnell to move quickly on his sick agenda to gut the ACA further and start the ball rolling to turn back Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

In Australia, we have three levels of Government, Local, State & Federal and at my state of New South Wales, in all three levels next year. It varies state to state depending when each state has there state and local elections. Three in one year is simply too much, particularly as voting compulsory and failure to vote lands you with a fine. At the last federal election one million people failed to vote (most were probably out of the country) and 750,000 voted either informally deliberately (which I understand to be technical illegal) or by accident. Also at the Federal Level everyone needs to vote for their local member which make up the House of Representatives and as well as vote in the Senate. In the House of Reps you must fill in every box from 1 to however people are standing (usually somewhere between 7 to 12). If you don't the vote is informal and doesn't count. The the Senate you can vote above the line and fill 1 to 6 or more if you like of your preferred parties. Or you can vote below the life from 1 to 12 or more and vote for individual candidates from a whole range of parties.

What's interesting is that we have three major parties in Australia. The LNP (our version of the Republicans), the ALP (our version of the Democrats) and the Greens. People are so pissed off at all the major parties that in the House of Reps (lower house) 25% of votes (or 1 in 5) went to minor parties. In the Senate 20% of people voted for minor parties (or 1 in 4). There is a growing trend away from the major parties who are seen as having little difference between them.

In a recent by election where a former Prime Minister was dumped (the 5th in 5 years - Australia is being called the Coup Capital of the World) and independent won the seat and between them the major parties got about 40% of the vote. There was been so much politically turmoil in the country since 2008 that is has become and remains ungovernable. Things do manage to get done but the level of corruption within politics in Australia is on the rise and most corruption is not found out until after politicians have rushed out the exit door.

But the blood compulsory voting is a pain. I'm going to contact the Electoral Commission to have a ballot paper sent to my home address and do a postal vote - its simply much easier and besides the polling booths are too dark to see what one is properly doing.
“Those Koreans. They’re so suspicious, you know, ever since Hiroshima.” Constance Langdon (Jessica Lange) from American Horror Story: Season One

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 pm

Apparently, my Aunt and Uncle's close friend's cousin was killed in the synagogue. Don't know the guy's name. I never met him. To be honest, hearing the news was curious. I wasn't more sad because we are talking about a stranger within a fairly distant degree of connection. Really it just reinforced in my mind that there's a chance that when the next anti-Semitic terrorist attack occurs in a fairly populated Jewish neighborhood, I might loosely know someone there too.

Sad.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

mlrg
Adjunct

Postby mlrg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:52 pm

This Sunday Brasil votes for a new president. Heavy favorite to win is Jair Bolsonaro, a far right candidate with a speech 10x worse than Trump. Interesting times...

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:52 pm

https://heavy.com/news/2018/10/robert-bowers/

"The former president of the synagogue, Michael Eisenberg, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the shooting took place on the third floor of the building. Eisenberg said that typically there would be a children’s class on that floor but had been canceled on the day of the attack."

Just a friendly reminder that the worst day can always be a thousand times worse.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:49 pm

We don't have early voting in New Jersey. Where I am it's mostly old people who go first thing in the morning. I usually wait until around 11 or 12 when I don't have to stand in long lines. I wouldn't mind, though, if it means a turn in the direction of the way the country is going.

This will be an historic election whichever way it goes. Either it will be a partial turn to normalcy or another disaster for the disenfranchised which will embolden McConnell to move quickly on his sick agenda to gut the ACA further and start the ball rolling to turn back Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Big Magilla wrote:I hope this and the attempted assassiantions will motivate a few more people to get off their asses to go and vote for Democrats in the Senate races, especially in Arizona and Texas.

So, maybe this is an example of that. As usual, I went to vote the first day of early voting where I live. I stopped by in the morning, and, when I saw a long line, I took my car for an appointment to have the oil changed and the tires rotated. After the appointment, I returned to the voting location. I had to wait in line about a half hour. I had never encountered lines in early voting before, even in general Presidential elections. It is good to see so many people voting.
"Wall Street is not the solution to our problem. Wall Street is the problem!"

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:22 pm

The synagogue shooter wasn't a Trump supporter - he considered Trump a globalist, not a nationalist, which will make it easy for Trump's minions to disavow him. Trumps' asinine remark that fewer (although I think he said "less", being the grammatical moron that he is) people would have been killed if there had been an armed guard posted at the entrance is just another stupid reaction that his base will nod their heads up and down in support of.

I hope this and the attempted assassiantions will motivate a few more people to get off their asses to go and vote for Democrats in the Senate races, especially in Arizona and Texas.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Today I woke up to an email saying "Cheryl is safe."

My cousin Cheryl is a Jewish civil rights attorney in Pittsburgh. She rarely goes to synagogue. For the first time in my family's life, they are grateful that being observant didn't take for most of us. I posted on Facebook "Yay! My cousin wasn't at the synagogue and killed during the shooting! It was just... other Jews."

However, I am astonished at the speed with which the bombings this week were dismissed as a left wing false flag. I'm actually more sympathetic to conspiracy theories than a lot of my colleagues in that I will hear and entertain them, even if I don't ultimately believe them. But this is just astonishing.

The saving grace of the week for me was Andrew Gillum's exceptional debate performance. "A hit dog will holler." "The racists believe he’s a racist." I don't think there is a race this year where the gulf between the two candidates is so wide. I have very high hopes for him.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:38 am

Please...make it stop.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Should we refer to Caesar Sayoc as "The MAGA Bomber" or "The First MAGA Bomber?"

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Over the past few weeks, I've spoken to some friends who'd really like it if we could all chill out a little bit. All I'll say is this. The GOP just learned how to win by campaigning against the MeToo movement. It’s about to get ugly, ugly, ugly.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:05 pm

And as with so many things the last few years, what seemed like it could end up being a complete disaster for the Republicans ends with them squeaking through by the narrowest of victories.

I truly have no bigger election night wish than to see Mitch McConnell become Senate Minority Leader.

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Postby Precious Doll » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... reme-court

Being on holidays has given me lots of reading time and I have no doubt in the validity of the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh and he is clearly not a fit person to be a judge, let alone a Supreme Court Judge for life. I must admit that I read very little of political going ons in the U.S. as we have enough of our own deplorables to keep me occupied, concerned and angry.

Back when 9/11 happened the Sydney Morning Herald had a cartoon of the Statue of Liberty with her face in her hands weeping. Not that this can be compared to 9/11 but that image is awfully appropriate in relation to Kavanaugh's likely appointment.

As for Trumps comment that the ladies that confronted Jeff Flake were 'paid professionals', well I suppose he'd know all about that given the 'services' he has paid for, which I believe in 49 of the 50 states of the U.S. is illegal.
“Those Koreans. They’re so suspicious, you know, ever since Hiroshima.” Constance Langdon (Jessica Lange) from American Horror Story: Season One

Heksagon
Adjunct

Postby Heksagon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:33 am

Brett Kavanaugh's nomination process is probably the worst nadir for the Supreme Court since the Dred Scott ruling. And the chances are, it's only going to get worse in the coming years. The current system for appointing judges is not appropriate when the court has become so politicized as it is currently. But any reform would require a bipartisan effort, which is kind of lacking at the moment.

Return to “Current Events”