Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Sabin »

Is this Trump's worst day?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:I assume I've mentioned it here before, but I knew Roger Stone back in my high school days. I thought he was a schmuck then (we all did), and it's been a long half-century waiting for his comeuppance. Today is peak schadenfreude for me.
Not that I recall, but that reminds me of one of my neighbors who was Chris Christie's teacher in High School. She said "He was a jerk then, and he's a jerk now."
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big bad day for Trump. Complete defeat on the shutdown, and Roger Stone arrested.

I assume I've mentioned it here before, but I knew Roger Stone back in my high school days. I thought he was a schmuck then (we all did), and it's been a long half-century waiting for his comeuppance. Today is peak schadenfreude for me.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Trump has found his wall and her name is Nancy. :D
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Exclusive: White House preparing draft national emergency order, has identified $7 billion for wall:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics ... index.html
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Not yet, anyway.
I know this is in reference to her constituents but she is teaching a course to her Democratic colleagues on how to use Twitter. This is both adorable and going to make her a lot of friends.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've been telling my friends all last year, that the Democratic primary will be A) thirty people running, and B) a vicious mess. They didn't believe me. Some even dubiously claimed they would work it all out and line up behind an establishment candidate like Joe Biden or Kamala Harris. I really need to start taking more bets.

At this point, thirty people might be low-balling it. Everybody is going to run. And it's certainly going to be a mess. The first primary is now officially the social media primary where the candidate announce and Twitter erupts in a fury of dirt-digging. Do the Republican go through this shit? I don't think anybody is going to make it through unscathed. This week alone, we had the myriad bonkers revelations about Tulsi Gabbard's homophobic past (which led to Howard Dean saying on MSNBC (?) "I like everybody except Tulsi Gabbard. She shouldn't run. She doesn't know what she's doing.") and Kirsten GIllibrand's schizophrenic positions on everything as well as her claim to have been a "young mom." These two make Elizabeth Warren look bulletproof.

As for vicious, if anybody thinks Gillibrand is going to call for a return to decorum on-stage, they're crazy. She's going to go after everybody like she's Christie Christie in a room full of malfunctioning Marcobots.

I know we go through this every cycle but what's the over/under on it going to convention?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There's enough now for the House to vote for impeachment but not enough to insure a two-thirds majority of the Senate to remove him from office.

What I find distressing now is the crap spewing out of the mouths of so-called moderate Republican commentators that equates Pelosi's disinviting Trump from coming to the chamber to deliver his State of the Union address to his cancelling her trip to Afghanistan, calling both actions petty. This comes dangerously close to the talking heads finding something bad to say about Hillary every time something bad about Trump came to light during the election.

While there are legitimate security concerns in hosting the State of the Union address, Trump's reaction to cancel Pelosi's trip is clearly just for spite.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's starting to happen, and it's only going to get worse. This can't go on much longer.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The “let’s not rush to impeachment until we know all the facts” crowd isn’t going to have that many more legs to stand on at this point.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

What Sabin said.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Original BJ wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:If she pisses them off, though, there could be a different outcome.
She is not pissing off Democratic primary voters in Queens and the Bronx.
Not yet, anyway.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
I have no idea. Her district is safely blue, but whether she keeps the seat depends on a myriad of things. She won her primary because of low turnout. If her district has low turnout in the next election or she impresses those who didn't turn out then to vote for her the second time around, she'll be fine. If she pisses them off, though, there could be a different outcome.
I suppose it's feasible that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a 28 year old bartender from the Bronx, becomes a disaster. When you say it like that, it is possible. And her district will turn against her and pick someone else.

But I'd bet against it for a host of reasons. She won because she's genuine and now she is beloved by a generation.

What AOC is doing right now is so remarkable. I don't think you really grasp it. For those who follow her on social media, we feel like we are going through government with her. She is a real life Mr. Smith. Sure, she has a small host of policy gaffes. Hey, I'll take my side's policy gaffes over the other side's any day of the week. But she is a rare thing in my life: a Democrat who fights back. Think if we had that in 2000! In 2004! Her enemies (on both sides) are terrified to go after her. Every single day, an entire news network goes after her... and they haven't landed one blow! And what's more, she is incredibly charming while doing it. She has excellent political instincts. And she brings an urgency to her fight that a lot of young people feel.

One more thing...Can you find me a tweet of Donald Trump going after her? Maybe you can, but isn't it strange that he doesn't go after her every day like Fox news? I'd bet any amount of money she terrifies him.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:If she pisses them off, though, there could be a different outcome.
She is not pissing off Democratic primary voters in Queens and the Bronx.

Return to “Current Events”