Everything Is Great and Amazing

Greg
Tenured

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Greg »

Bog wrote:...and in the truest sense of the word you absolutely have a drinking problem (he denies) if you need alcohol anally to get the same effect!
I think you mentioned that you are a doctor, so, I am asking, wouldn't this be very dangerous?
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Mister Tee wrote:his "innocent" explanations of boofing, the Devil's Triangle or Renate Alumnus. They're trivial things, of course, and it would be hard to justify a vote against him on that basis alone.
Trivial on the surface yes...but actually the former 2 items if he had been pressed speak directly to perjury. He continues to maintain his virginity long past these threesomes he passes off as a drinking game...and in the truest sense of the word you absolutely have a drinking problem (he denies) if you need alcohol anally to get the same effect!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I fully agree, Magilla. It also goes to the accuser from Yale -- when I heard her last name was Ramirez, I thought to myself, yep, that'd be a girl Kavanaugh and his gang would consider disposable. Even when it came to Dr. Ford...one of the Catholic school girls/Kavanaugh supporters said of her "We didn't hang out with people from Gaithersburg" -- you could hear the class condescension leaping off the page.

It's clear to anybody paying attention that Kavanaugh lies with impunity -- no one seriously believes his "innocent" explanations of boofing, the Devil's Triangle or Renate Alumnus. They're trivial things, of course, and it would be hard to justify a vote against him on that basis alone. But the fact that it's so important for him to deny reality like that (when it's easily proven otherwise) suggests truly bad character. As does his screaming tantrum yesterday (if a woman had delivered that, she'd have been dismissed as a harpy) and the fact that he did everything he could to avoid answering direct questions, confident that the GOP lackeys on the committee would have his back. This is how and why bad people flourish in this society -- because there are older/more powerful bad people willing to help them through. (According to a Vox analysis, by the way, Dr. Ford, answered pretty much every question directly, while Kavanaugh bobbed and weaved all day.)

Mark Judge has agreed to be interviewed by the FBI, which could be interesting. The lengths to which GOPers have gone to keep him from being questioned suggest they're not fully confident he'll back Kavanaugh up -- something you'd expect a lifelong friend would do without hesitation. In a happy ending Hollywood movie, Judge would have a crisis of conscience and vindicate Dr. Ford. In the real world? Well, Judge is supposedly in AA, and as I understand it, one of AA's major Steps is making amends to people you've harmed by your behavior. Might this be a moment of truth for him?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nobody knows what they'll find, or if they find something, make it public, but I think the single most damning thing in Kavanaugh's performance was something one of the women senators caught but no one has mentioned since.

I think it was Harris, but it could have been Klobuchar, who responded to something he said when he was saying for the umpteenth time what a saint he was in high school. I think it was when he was going on about how nice he was to the girls from the various Catholic high schools that were in his circle of friends and how Blasey Ford wouldn't have been in that group because she went to a non-Catholic private high school. The senator remarked that some men and boys treat some women and girls one way and some another.

In thinking about that later, it became obvious to me that she was the perfect foil for his Jekyll & Hyde personality because she wasn't part of his group and if word got out to any of the girls in his group they wouldn't believe it because he didn't behave that way with the nice Catholic girls.

I suppose that it's possible that he blacked out those incidents, but I don't think so. I think he's lying and doesn't think an FBI investigation will prove otherwise but doesn't want to take the chance.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

At the very last second, an Arizona Senator makes a surprise move that flips the script. Haven't we see this movie before?

There's of course NO guarantee the FBI investigation will be decisive, but a week in Trump Time is a year (things that happened yesterday morning can feel like another life). Reporters are digging hard for witnesses/corroborators to accusations already made, and, as Nate Silver says, really bad polls on Kavanaugh could emerge to make life easier for those inclined to vote no. There was a reason Grassley/McConnell and company wanted to rush this through, even while an FBI investigation was the only rational response to yesterday's hearing.

That said, it's giving us all whiplash. And, remember: once it's over, we're back to the ever-approaching midterms, and Mueller. Never time to take a breath.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Mister Tee wrote:
Unbelievably bad for Republicans, the whole day.
And yet only Jeff Flake stands between him and 40 years on the job with this as a fucking blip on the radar with no tangible effect on any ruling or vote.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:There's a great joke going on twitter: "totally wouldn't peg this guy for a belligerent drunk."

Kavanaugh is doing an unbelievably terrible job of defending himself. Sub out every sentence he says with "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WANNA?"
The only explanation I can come up with for his constant tearing up is he's had a drink or two. I expect a Denzel/Flight moment (if not "You won't have Brett Kavanaugh to kick around anymore")

Unbelievably bad for Republicans, the whole day.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There's a great joke going on twitter: "totally wouldn't peg this guy for a belligerent drunk."

Kavanaugh is doing an unbelievably terrible job of defending himself. Sub out every sentence he says with "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WANNA?"
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:I did not watch the press conference. I am allergic to Trump's voice. Was it as bad as twitter is making it out to be?
I'm the same as you -- physically can't watch the guy -- but I followed along on various sites/Twitter accounts, and my mouth dropped multiple times. People I trust say it was the sort of lunatic performance you sometimes hear about in a gossipy second-hand newspaper story, and can't believe you're watching in plain view.

I haven't posted to this thread in a while, so, just for the record: things are still insane. More ever day.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I did not watch the press conference. I am allergic to Trump's voice. Was it as bad as twitter is making it out to be?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's because they WEREN'T found overnight. They were collected over a period of time and held in reserve for later use. When the scandal broke, they released it to make it seem like he had a bunch of defenders. A large number of the women who signed the letter have come out publicly as condemning Kavenaugh and revoking their support. Just remember, when Republicans are involved, nothing is true.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, this kind of spans the "Web Of Sex Scandals" thread and this one.

One thing that really surprised me about the whole Kavanugh issue is how quickly they were able to find high-school classmates to testify for both Kavanaugh and his accuser. I do not know the contact information of any -- and barely remember the names of a few -- classmates I had before college.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, a Vice President can be impeached.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Okri wrote:Sorry, my question was more literal: Can a Vice-President be impeached and is it the same process as getting rid of a President.

As far as I know, yes.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sorry, my question was more literal: Can a Vice-President be impeached and is it the same process as getting rid of a President.

Return to “Current Events”