Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Mister Tee »

Alternative title for this article: "L'etat, c'est moi"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/02/us/p ... poena.html
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just a record number of garbage humans running for office. I honestly can't remember the last time I gasped so much while reading an article. If you want to know what "incel" means, it stands for "involuntarily celibate" because they think women are so horrible today and have too many rights. This article is a stiff drink.

Congressional Candidate In Virginia Admits He’s A Pedophile

Nathan Larson also ran online forums for pedophiles and misogynists.
By Jesselyn Cook and Andy Campbell

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/na ... e89e1e4824
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Greg wrote
I have a feeling Fox News will soon have its first sitcom.
No, just another “news” guest contributor.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I have a feeling Fox News will soon have its first sitcom.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There's nothing here to laugh about.

Here's hoping Trump's downfall, when it comes, will be just as swift.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I know we’re all laughing now, but Roseanne’s odds of becoming the next National Security Advisor just skyrocketed.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's the full scoop:

ABC has pulled the plug on “Roseanne” following a series of racist, anti-Semitic tweets fired off Tuesday by the show’s creator, Roseanne Barr.
“Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values and we have decided to cancel her show,” the network said in a statement Tuesday.

The decision comes after Barr compared former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett to the “Planet of the Apes” in a series of bizarre tweets that also targeted Chelsea Clinton and ​billionaire ​George Soros.

In a slew of tweets, Barr ranted about Clinton, claiming she was married to Soros’ nephew, accused Soros of being a “nazi” and took aim at Jarrett.
“muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj,” she wrote in the tweet, which has been deleted.

Barr apologized to “Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans” before announcing she was quitting Twitter for good.

Her offensive comments sparked outrage on Twitter, where #SuspendRoseanneNow was trending.

Celebrities, including “Avengers” star Don Cheadle and Barr’s ex-husband Tom Arnold, also weighed in.

“You can take @RoseanneOnABC out of racism,” Cheadle tweeted, “but you can’t take the racism out of @therealroseanne …”

In a reply to CNN’s Brian Stelter — who noted ABC execs know Barr’s social media posts are “problematic” but that there’s no way to control her —
Arnold ripped his ex’s tweets as “dangerous.”
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'd say it was considerate of Roseanne Barr to issue her phenomenally racist tweet on the same day Starbucks is doing its close-half-a-day-to-combat-racism thing; it makes things so simple for cable news coordinators.

Of course, Roseanne issued the traditional not-really-apologizing apology (calling her an ape was a joke about her looks; can't you take a joke?). And then followed up by tweeting anti-Semitic falsehoods about George Soros.

I know this is FAR from the most important thing that's happened this week -- or even today. But the pit of slime we're swimming in because of this appalling president just becomes harder to tolerate some days, and it can be the smallest thing that sets one off.

ON EDIT: And 15 minutes after I post this, the show's cancelled. Have to say, I'm surprised they'd give up a ratings success so quickly.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just in time for his re-election campaign. He is going to be campaigning against this. This is going to be surreal.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Since he's starting his second year, this assumes he will be finished before it goes into a third next year at this time.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Wasn’t the start of the investigation really in summer of 2016? He could be factoring that into the “three” figure.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Like a lot of people, I was thrown by Seth Abramson's twitter yesterday:

@SethAbramson
PLEASE RT if you want to congratulate Bob Mueller on one of the most well-run first years of a complex federal investigation in recent memory. A case this big would normally take over 5 years, and Mueller is on pace to do it in under 3. America owes his team a debt of gratitude.

...three? So, just in time for Trump's second term?
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Point taken. The fallout from the Iran Deal and the immediate heightened tensions.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:Well, THAT didn't take fucking long, did it?
Yeah, what exactly are you referencing here, Sabin? It’s impossible to know, as Bog states.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

This country is so fucked it's borderline impossible to pinpoint via post timestamp which Trumpian debacle you are referencing. The mere fact it has come to this is (hyperbolically?) epic scale. I'm certain in the past if I had merely googled-- "Obama/Bush news for WEEK of/MONTH of (insert date)" I'd have easily pinpointed the referenced item .

Trump news for May 10th at 8pm search results led me still not knowing which didn't take long...haha

Return to “Current Events”