Everything Is Great and Amazing

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Sabin »

Inevitably, thoughts go back to his rambling Comey questioning.

Sen. John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Tumor
by PHIL HELSEL and ASSOCIATED PRESS

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, the Mayo Clinic said Wednesday in a statement released on behalf of the senator and his family.

Doctors removed a blood clot from above McCain's left eye on Friday.

"Subsequent tissue pathology revealed that a primary brain tumor known as a glioblastoma was associated with the blood clot," the Mayo Clinic said in the statement.

The Mayo Clinic said in the statement that “scanning done since the procedure (a minimally invasive craniotomy with an eyebrow incision) shows that the tissue of concern was completely resected by imaging criteria," or cut out.

Senator John McCain diagnosed with brain tumor Play Facebook Twitter Embed
Senator John McCain diagnosed with brain tumor 4:07
"The Senator and his family are reviewing further treatment options with his Mayo Clinic care team. Treatment options may include a combination of chemotherapy and radiation," it said.

McCain's office said in a statement that McCain, 80, is in good spirits.

"Senator McCain appreciates the outpouring of support he has received over the last few days. He is in good spirits as he continues to recover at home with his family in Arizona. He is grateful to the doctors and staff at Mayo Clinic for their outstanding care, and is confident that any future treatment will be effective," the statement said.

"Further consultations with Senator McCain's Mayo Clinic care team will indicate when he will return to the United States Senate," it said.

Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona said in a statement on Twitter that he has spoken to McCain. “Tough diagnosis, but even tougher man.”

Image: John McCain, John Cornyn
Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, right, with Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, in Washington in June. J. Scott Applewhite / AP file
The 5-centimeter blood clot was removed in a minimally invasive operation following an annual physical, the Mayo Clinic said. It said at the time that the procedure went “very well” and was successful.

McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, is regarded as a tell-it-like-he-sees-it voice open to crossing the aisle to reach bipartisan agreement.

McCain, a former Navy pilot, was shot down during the Vietnam War and was held as a prisoner of war for more than five years by the North Vietnamese.

He was taken prisoner in October 1967 after being shot down during a mission over Hanoi. He wasn't freed until March 1973, after the United States signed peace agreements with the North Vietnamese.

McCain’s captors tortured him and held him in solitary confinement. Still, he declined an offer of early release until those who had been at the prison longer than him were let go.

McCain has a history of melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, in a statement called McCain an American hero and said the entire Senate’s thoughts are with him.

"John McCain is a hero to our Conference and a hero to our country. He has never shied from a fight and I know that he will face this challenge with the same extraordinary courage that has characterized his life,” McConnell said. "The entire Senate family’s prayers are with John, Cindy and his family, his staff, and the people of Arizona he represents so well.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said on Twitter that McCain "is a hero, a patriot and a fighter" and said she was praying for his recovery and for his family.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

After only six months, Trump is about to match Obama's entire civilian death count from two terms. That is staggering.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A thought I've heard expressed elsewhere, worth noting: What's happening to the GOP health care effort should demonstrate in retrospect that Reid and Pelosi -- subject to endless scorn from many on their own teams -- were pretty good at their jobs.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

"Piddle, twiddle and resolve. Not a damn thing do we solve." - John Adams, the Continental Congress, 1776

Nothing's going to happen as long as Trump's support among Republicans remains at 84% unless it's a Lonesome Rhodes (A Face in the Crowd) open mic moment on live TV.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Please let it be true. Please let him be taken down with the rest of them if and when that ever happens.
Okay, so here's my fear: we're not getting bombshells, we're only getting the shovels they used to dig themselves deeper. Actually that's not fair. Bulldozers.

What could a bombshell be at this point? What can shock us now? Donald Trump Jr.'s spectacular idiocy is almost too stupid to be taken seriously. How can you conduct a trial as to whether this guy knew he was committing treason when he didn't know not to release this information in the first place? And it's all too easy to make it look like the Democrats are trying to win the election.

I get it. You can't binge-watch history. But at the rate they're happening, current events don't know that.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For the first time, there are reports that Pence met with Russians during the campaign.

Please let it be true. Please let him be taken down with the rest of them if and when that ever happens.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sabin wrote:America, you were supposed to watch Arrested Development, not elect it.

"I may have committed some light treason."
I wrote two papers for my Introduction to Television class in college during the fall of 2004.

One was on Arrested Development. The other was on The Apprentice.

Such a simpler time!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

America, you were supposed to watch Arrested Development, not elect it.

"I may have committed some light treason."
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:Kaine: Trump Jr. may have committed treason:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/11/politics/ ... index.html
To be fair.... he IS Tim Kaine, after all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Overheard in Mueller's office:

"We're going to need a bigger boat"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Kaine: Trump Jr. may have committed treason:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/11/politics/ ... index.html
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Bog wrote: Hopefully not delving into disparage territory here with this analogy, since I don't want to and vowed I would noy: Tee, if the pitching stays this bad and going into the 2018 season Girardi still has exactly zero playoff wins since 2012 with only one appearance in that same timeframe...how much leeway should he get based upon '08-'12 from you to lead the pinstripes back to prosperity?
Bog, I held off on answering because I didn't have time to respond to what I thought was a multi-part question. I don't really now, either, but trying to be brief:

Implicit in your question seems to be a belief that Girardi has made the team worse, which I'm not sure I can endorse. According to the sabremetrics guys, the team has over-performed its win-expectation-by-run-differential for several years running, which suggests Girardi has known something about how to maximize potential victories. That, or they just benefited from a squelching bullpen despite having a subpar roster. In either case, the team has managed to stay above .500 (since 1993, now!) without the talent to support that record, so maybe the manager deserves a bit of credit?

The odd thing is, the first time in memory they've UNDER-performed their Pythagorean expectation is right now -- as of yesterday, they were 6 wins below where their run differential would predict. This is partly due to recent bullpen failures, but overall attributable to astonishing bad luck in close games (9-16 in one-run affairs). Bill James taught me long ago that such a thing was pure bad fortune, that, given enough time, such a record would approach .500, which would give this team a chance to rebound from the recent three weeks of hell. That's of course assuming they stop losing a player to the disabled list ever 36 hours.

However this year turns out, I'm firmly persuaded the team is going to be a beast in the very near-future. Whether Girardi has earned the right to preside over that resurgence is debatable, but I can't say I think he deserves removal simply because the talent pool was at low ebb over the past 4-5 years.

I'm assuming you were analogizing this to Pelosi, and I guess I have the same take there: she's done nothing to deserve firing, and, were the Dems to take back the House Fall after next, I see no reason why she shouldn't be made Speaker (I certainly can't think of anyone I'm as confident would maximize their use of the power). But if it's simply seen as "time to move on", I could live with that, too -- just as I've had to live with my own displacement in areas of life for which I'm viewed as too old.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I watched the first few seasons (before they went to Celebrity Apprentice). He was a jerk, but it was also very clear that he let everyone else do the work and he took the credit.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Never watched it, but have seen outtakes where all he said was "You're fired!"

Check out the IMDb. reviews. On the air from 2004-2015 (later with Arnold Schwarzenegger), it was being called an "embarrassment" as early as 2007.

As H.L. Menckin said way back in 1926, “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I've never seen The Apprentice. Has anyone here seen it, and, if so, was Trump that much of a jerk on the show? I would assume if all his negatives were on full display not only while he was running for President but while he is serving as President, that they would not be covered up for a reality show.

Return to “Current Events”