Everything Is Great and Amazing

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: Everything Is Great Again

Post by Sonic Youth »

Come on. There have ALWAYS been stories like these.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Is this what life is going to be like in Trump's America from now on?

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/10yo-a ... ed-school/
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

When I said I FUCKING HOPE THAT RACIST, SEXIST ASSHOLE IS GONE BEFORE SUMMER...I meant Donald Trump, but this is cool too.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It means he can get on the airwaves and continue to normalize his presidency. And every day we get more and more used to this guy, the harder it's going to be to get him out of office. I don't care how long Watergate took. I am done overestimating the attention span of the American people.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:Because that's the one our President tweeted so it's all across the internet.
And that means what, exactly?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Because that's the one our President tweeted so it's all across the internet.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He's probably at 50% of the old farts they poll, but every other poll has him 39-40% - so why pay attention to Rasmussen when, as you note, their polling tactics are outdated?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The latest Rassmussen poll has Trump at 50% approval. Rassmussen's polling tactics are outdated and their 2016 predictions were Clinton 322, Trump 216; 50-50 Senate; GOP holds House, so I don't know why they fucking matter anymore, but we are a gross country that likes entertainment and Trump stayed on TV for as long as he did for a reason.

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_co ... rack_apr18
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Why one Republican voted to kill privacy rules: “Nobody has to use the Internet”

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... aker-says/
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Sabin wrote: He can take away their healthcare
Actually, he can't take away their health care :D Maybe you should say "he can try".
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Sonic Youth wrote
I suspect this question would be just as hypothetical if she were president as it is now.
She wouldn't do this. There's no way. The right would vilify her as using evasion tactics from whatever pointless investigation they were launching on her. They'd question her sanity. And the left would despise her for it. This is something only Trump could do.

And from what I see on Twitter, his people love it. He can take away their healthcare but as long as we're using weapons against terrorists, they will cheer until they die. Now we know his tactic: put on a big enough show, and people will support him even as he proves to be their undoing.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Sabin wrote:It's moments like these that I recognized how incredibly party-affiliated I am. When I read the reports yesterday, I just felt sick and horrible about the implications of what is to come. But then I ask myself, would I feel the same way if Hillary Clinton were the President?
IYes, I know he has been given the right. That doesn't matter to me. President or not, someone with his background should not be allowed to have anything to do with bombs. This power has to be taken away from him. "Inappropriate" doesn't begin to describe it. It's like giving someone who's never had a driver's license permission to operate a bulldozer. It has made me nauseous. And it's all being done in our name.
It's worse than that. We know, from last week, that any time he does drop a bomb, a significant portion of the DC pundit establishment will rush to proclaim him "presidential". Since their praise is what he thirsts after most, I expect him to do this as much/often as he can, especially whenever there's news unfavorable to him. (Which, from what I'm hearing, is quite plentiful and likely to only increase in the weeks ahead.)

I don't think it's just partisan to think that, if Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama were doing this, we'd at least have the sense that they'd made their best considered judgment before moving to action. I'd think the same of even some Republicans (though fewer than I'd prefer). But in Trump's case, the very phrase "considered judgment" evokes only hysterical laughter.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:It's moments like these that I recognized how incredibly party-affiliated I am. When I read the reports yesterday, I just felt sick and horrible about the implications of what is to come. But then I ask myself, would I feel the same way if Hillary Clinton were the President?
I suspect this question would be just as hypothetical if she were president as it is now.

What makes me sick to my stomach - and I mean literally - is that he is a building magnate. He has spent his life putting up buildings and producing television shows. Such a person should have no right dropping murderous weapons on other people. Yes, I know he has been given the right. That doesn't matter to me. President or not, someone with his background should not be allowed to have anything to do with bombs. This power has to be taken away from him. "Inappropriate" doesn't begin to describe it. It's like giving someone who's never had a driver's license permission to operate a bulldozer. It has made me nauseous. And it's all being done in our name.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

How comforting to learn that this went through the U.N. Security Council before implementing it... with blessings from the Pope and the Nobel committee, of course. I predict instantaneous stability, not only in the region, but all over the planet, with Mars and Venus thrown in for good measure.

It's only appropriate that this is nicknamed the "Mother of all Bombs". As far as presidents go, he's also quite a mother.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I always thought that it would start in 2019-2020. I guess I was wrong. It will be sooner.

Return to “Current Events”