Decision 2016

Okri
Tenured

Re: Decision 2016

Post by Okri »

I stole it from twitter, so I can't claim credit.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Okri wrote:"The Godfather Part III Surges To Third Among All Godfather Movies, Will Soon Be The Best"
--Marco Rubio, movie reviewer
Actually, I can imagine Trump looks close to what Brando's Corleone would have looked like with a comb over.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Okri wrote
"The Godfather Part III Surges To Third Among All Godfather Movies, Will Soon Be The Best"
Yeah, I'm stealing this too.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

First of all, I think you're massively reducing what Cornel West is actually saying about the President. Secondly, without having spoken to Cornel West personally about President Obama, I can pretty much guarantee you he doesn't hate President Obama. He's disappointed with President Obama, just as he would be with any President who exists in the shades of grey bubble of United States politics that doesn't live up to his liberal ideals. Considering that Bernie Sanders is as close to finding that candidate as he ever is in his lifetime, it's not remotely surprising that he would endorse him.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

danfrank wrote: Cornell West is not a hater, period. He (sincerely, I believe) continues to refer to "brother Obama," and gives him credit where it's due. He has legitimately criticized Obama from the left, and would be a hypocrite to pretend that just because he's the first black president he can do no wrong. Voices like West's and Sanders' are incredibly important in keeping the Democratic party from being completely sucked into the Wall Street/Military Industrial Complex vortex. Voices like theirs have moved Obama more to the left as his presidency has progressed, and are clearly pulling Clinton to the left during this campaign. Bravo for them! Whether they appreciate it or not, this leftward pull does great service to the African American community, among others.
He called Obama a Rockefeller Republican in disguise, a "counterfeit progressive" and "the first niggerized President".
Maybe that's me but I don't think these characterizations can be construed any way as legitimate criticism.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

[quote= Cornell West (another noted Obama-hater).[/quote]

Cornell West is not a hater, period. He (sincerely, I believe) continues to refer to "brother Obama," and gives him credit where it's due. He has legitimately criticized Obama from the left, and would be a hypocrite to pretend that just because he's the first black president he can do no wrong. Voices like West's and Sanders' are incredibly important in keeping the Democratic party from being completely sucked into the Wall Street/Military Industrial Complex vortex. Voices like theirs have moved Obama more to the left as his presidency has progressed, and are clearly pulling Clinton to the left during this campaign. Bravo for them! Whether they appreciate it or not, this leftward pull does great service to the African American community, among others.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Okri wrote:"The Godfather Part III Surges To Third Among All Godfather Movies, Will Soon Be The Best"
This is brilliant. I might have to steal it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Sabin wrote:
OscarGuy wrote
When black leaders of the Civil Rights movement support your opponent, getting a celebrity to try and counteract that seems a tad pathetic.
When black leaders of the civil rights movement support your opponent, you should make an effort to tell the voters that you got arrested at a civil rights protest back in 1963. Look, nobody owes Bernie Sanders a thing, he's probably knows he's not going to win South Carolina, but giving up when you've exceeded every possible expectation for your career isn't desperate and pathetic.
It's pretty hard to win over black voters when back in 2012 you talked about primarying the first black president and later you characterized him "weak" and a "disappointment". I think these facts weigh a bit more on African-American's minds than his endorsement by Spike Lee and Cornell West (another noted Obama-hater).
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm sorry, Sabin, but this "movement" of his hasn't exactly produced the outcome he (or his fans) wanted. All season, everyone has been talking about how he'll out perform Obama and bring more young voters to the table. However, voter turnout in the Democratic Primary/Caucus states so far has been less than in 2008 when Obama's "movement" broke all expectations. He actually energized a populace. While there is evidence Bernie is doing similar things, by every important metric, he's underperforming.

After Nevada, he's acknowledged he did worse than even he expected, his margin of loss was worse than polls suggested (never trust polls), so instead of trying to keep the same message, he's decided to go negative. Of course, his negative isn't even remotely as bad as the Republican have been, but it does show signs of desperation.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In other news...

"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
When black leaders of the Civil Rights movement support your opponent, getting a celebrity to try and counteract that seems a tad pathetic.
When black leaders of the civil rights movement support your opponent, you should make an effort to tell the voters that you got arrested at a civil rights protest back in 1963. Look, nobody owes Bernie Sanders a thing, he's probably knows he's not going to win South Carolina, but giving up when you've exceeded every possible expectation for your career isn't desperate and pathetic.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

"The Godfather Part III Surges To Third Among All Godfather Movies, Will Soon Be The Best"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Bernie has a problem with black voters. He's desperate to claim as many as he possibly can, so he thinks trotting out black celebrities will help with that. When black leaders of the Civil Rights movement support your opponent, getting a celebrity to try and counteract that seems a tad pathetic. I like Bernie, but he has to see the writing on the wall by now (that many of us saw months ago, but he and his supporters for some reason couldn't).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Nah, it's not desperate. They're just playing the game until time runs out. It's not like Bernie's going to last until NY, so why not let Spike record the message now?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Greg wrote:Spike Lee backs Bernie Sanders ahead of primary: 'Wake up, South Carolina!':

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016 ... ary-voters
How desperate. He doesn't have a chance in hell of taking SC.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “Current Events”