Decision 2016

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Decision 2016

Post by OscarGuy »

Cunt waffles will always be cunt waffles.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Responded to in the Life Under Trump thread.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I really feel as if I'm watching (or living in) a bad American movie... And I wonder how can a supposedly "civilized" country take such decisions without - I don't know - an institution which can prevent the President from making some obviously absurd, anti-democratic choices. Is the President so free? In Italy all this would be unthinkable.

And the American people? All silent. (Except for a few who will be soon considered communists).

Ah, how right I was. How I saw through this long, long ago. And how sad that even today there's almost no self-criticism - even from those on this board who think of themselves as "open-minded" and "intellectual"...
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

criddic3 wrote:I am kind of glad I have been steering clear of this thread for a while. It assumes a lot to say that Trump will go down as one of the worst presidents before he has even begun his first full day in office. Sure it could happen but it really is a giant leap to assume it will. For example, Chester A. Arthur. Once deemed untrustworthy and part of a corrupt political machine, Arthur became president upon the assassination of James A. Garfield. Shocking his long-time critics, he led a massive effort to reform civil service. This led to praise such as this from Journalist and politician Alexander McClure "No man ever entered the Presidency so profoundly and widely distrusted as Chester Alan Arthur, and no one ever retired ... more generally respected, alike by political friend and foe."

So you never know. I am wary like many of you are (remember I didn't vote for him) but I want to give him a chance to prove me wrong.
This is why I worry
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

What Sonic said, except even more for those of us who aren't American citizens.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

criddic3 wrote:I am kind of glad I have been steering clear of this thread for a while. It assumes a lot to say that Trump will go down as one of the worst presidents before he has even begun his first full day in office. Sure it could happen but it really is a giant leap to assume it will. For example, Chester A. Arthur. Once deemed untrustworthy and part of a corrupt political machine, Arthur became president upon the assassination of James A. Garfield. Shocking his long-time critics, he led a massive effort to reform civil service. This led to praise such as this from Journalist and politician Alexander McClure "No man ever entered the Presidency so profoundly and widely distrusted as Chester Alan Arthur, and no one ever retired ... more generally respected, alike by political friend and foe."

So you never know. I am wary like many of you are (remember I didn't vote for him) but I want to give him a chance to prove me wrong.
Whether we give him a chance or not, of what relevance is that to anything? What's going to happen next is going to happen, no matter what we say on the UAADB. We're not going to affect whatever comes next. He has his chance anyway, by default. We can still have our opinions and state our worries. We can even make bold predictions. Saying "you haven't given him a chance" is like complaining someone didn't write "IMO" in a movie review.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Trump is a reformer, but not in a good way.

If he wants to win people over, he should start with firing his advisors and hiring competent people to run the White House. He can start with telling Kellyanne Conway to take her "alternative facts" and fly off on her broomstick along with whoever came up with that idiotic phrase.

On the other hand, God bless whoever the woman was that came up with "crowd size is the new penis size".
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I am kind of glad I have been steering clear of this thread for a while. It assumes a lot to say that Trump will go down as one of the worst presidents before he has even begun his first full day in office. Sure it could happen but it really is a giant leap to assume it will. For example, Chester A. Arthur. Once deemed untrustworthy and part of a corrupt political machine, Arthur became president upon the assassination of James A. Garfield. Shocking his long-time critics, he led a massive effort to reform civil service. This led to praise such as this from Journalist and politician Alexander McClure "No man ever entered the Presidency so profoundly and widely distrusted as Chester Alan Arthur, and no one ever retired ... more generally respected, alike by political friend and foe."

"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Apart from it being a fetish for him, Trump seems like the kind of guy who would rather give Golden Showers than receive them.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:
flipp525 wrote
Just resurrecting this post as now, it appears, I might've been right. (Although I never imagined golden showers.)
But what comes of it? Nothing. Just a somehow crazier President Trump.
Well, I mean, nothing. Nothing ever comes of anything he says or does. But I had to bring it out because criddic immediately chided me for daring to suggest that something sexual come to light as Russian blackmail and that's exactly what happened days later (unverified or not, I certainly believe it). I wasn't "hoping for the worst" (which is how he described my post). I was predicting (and predicting correctly, I might add).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sabin wrote:
flipp525 wrote
Just resurrecting this post as now, it appears, I might've been right. (Although I never imagined golden showers.)

Question for the elders on this board. Has there ever been a worse presidential transition?
Well, in 1860 nearly all the Southern states seceded from the Union immediately after Lincoln's election. So, this year is a close second.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote

Question for the elders on this board. Has there ever been a worse presidential transition?
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

flipp525 wrote:I also think there could be some serious blackmail material Putin has on Trump including, but not limited to, tapes that portray underage and perhaps non-consensual (rape), sex between Trump and a minor.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:This is slightly off-topic but does anyone else think that bruschetta is basically just salsa bread? We're paying way too much for this.
Slightly? Anyway, the answer is a resounding no! I've had some lovely meals that started with bruschetta, but can't remember any that started with salsa bread!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This is slightly off-topic but does anyone else think that bruschetta is basically just salsa bread? We're paying way too much for this.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “Current Events”