Everything Is Great and Amazing

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Post by Sabin »

John McCain has discontinued treatment for his brain cancer. He's an incredibly complicated political figure but he deserves praise for his moments of integrity. There is nothing you can say to a family as they prepare to say goodbye to a loved one...

But not in this case. My hope is that somehow McCain lives to see Trump gone. I know. The chances are so, so small. I still have money on Trump serving out his term. However some people I truly respect have made a terrific case for how we are looking at the end of the Trump Presidency. This has been a disastrous week for Trump, especially with the revelation that his bookmaker has flipped. It's such a long shot. But man, I hope it comes true.

NOTE: Nope. Rest in peace.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Definitely a star on the rise and, yes, he does very much evoke Bobby Kennedy.

He's been on the right side of every issue including universal one-payer healthcare but not necessarily as an extension of Medicare as we know it.

I'll be very disappointed (again!) if he doesn't defeat Cruz.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In rare, positive news, I've been following Beto O'Rourke for over a year now. Initially, I thought he was a promising politician with some good instincts but came off as a little too coached and studied. Since his Bill Maher appearance, he's gotten much better and it seems like he is really catching on. I've always thought he had a strong shot at defeating Ted Cruz for a host of reasons. Chief among them, the Republican party respects the appearance of strength and Ted Cruz has displayed stunning weaknesses on the national stage (phone banking for Trump and begging him for help after he called his wife ugly and accused his father of assassinating JFK) and clearly a Senator more for his own political ambitions than for Texans. And now Beto is a handful of points behind, raising million of dollars in small donations, and is already being called a current leader for the Democratic party for a viral speech that has people comparing him to Bobby Kennedy. Even if he doesn't win this seat, it's hard to imagine anybody else getting the DNC Keynote speech in 2020. And yes, I am aware that there is another politician out there with more than a passing resemblance to Bobby Kennedy.

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics ... nal-anthem
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Eights are wild -- Manafort convicted on 8 counts; Cohen pleads guilty to 8 counts.

The latter might be even more significant, because Cohen implicates Trump directly in conspiring with him to break campaign finance law.

Whee!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Kudos to you, Bog, for putting your time and effort where many of our mouths are. I'm sure you were heartbroken at the (apparent) outcome -- I was following it on various sites/twitter accounts, and the way it dribbled to a so-close-but-so-far end crushed me. But you're right to take the long view: if this district, backed by huge RNC expenditures, can only be fought to a draw, all those districts closer in party ID will be ripe for the taking in November. And I think your take is interesting here (one I haven't seen from any of the so-knowledgeable pundits): the conventional view is that incumbency will benefit Balderson three months down the line, but, really, it might mostly serve to take him off the campaign trail during this now-short general election period. (And you're right: that "fuck Franklin County" gaffe may get much wider circulation now than it did in the preceding 48 hours.)

Apart from just falling short in OH-12, the Dems had a pretty great night. MO soundly defeated a union-busting bill, and threw out the DA who failed to prosecute the cop in Ferguson. WA state, with their jungle primaries, show several Dems poised to knock off incumbent GOPers. (WA, CA & PA on their own might provide half the needed House pickups.) And solid, interesting female candidates continue to win nominations -- for governorships in both MI and KS (the latter an actual pickup opportunity, because the odious Kris Kobach seems to have barely eked out the GOP nod.)

Oh, and one last OH-12 note: though it's not quite matching the margin of Dem defeat, the Green Party candidate once again made it much easier for the Republican to win. I have a suggestion for Green Party voters next election day: stay home and masturbate. You'll have an equal electoral effect, and maybe enjoy it a bit more.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sabin wrote:Thanks for all your hard work, Bog.
Easiest job I've ever done...was excited to continue the process no matter the results! He would have been the youngest member of Congress had he won last night. Almost definitely Alexandria would have swiped it from him come November and will precede him if they both win at general.

There is something so virginal and uncorrupted about his nature that is hard not to absolutely refresh one in this money grubbing Washington climate of unbendable partisanship purely just to be partisan.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well, it's not over until the absentee ballots are counted but it probably is a lost race at least until November. Why they would even bother to have a special election this close to the real one is a bit of a headscratcher.

The projected blue wave is probably still coming but the size of it may not be as great as it should be.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Thanks for all your hard work, Bog.
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Tough fucking loss here tonight...and I'm right at the front of the line to deride moral victories...however:

1) Very odd special election schedule with one of the nation's most ridiculously gerrymandered districts...but one that delves into the city, however slightly. OSU and it's 50,000 enrollment is still on summer break...not the case in 90 days. The video from last night showing Balderson announce no one wants someone from Franklin county (Columbus proper) representing them will be more important as an ad over next 90 days.

2) Trump immediately took credit for the victory (obviously via Twitter)...despite objectively being the reason this district dropped from a Tiberi 2016 victory by a margin of 67%-30%

3) If it is true there are 60+ some odd cases across the country where the Pub is in bigger trouble than Ohio 12 BEFORE this race turned out less than a point margin...how will they justify not punting at the RNC level...with Balderson already running into funding issues a couple weeks ago.

4) What in the HELL did they do with Kasich's children and when will they be returned to him...in order to coerce him to film a pro-Balderson ad Sunday night ??? Hard to fathom he continues vocal and televised support for a very pro Trump candidate if he wants to actually oppose him in a primary in 2 years...and Damn straight he pushed Balderson over the edge...probably pisses Trump off even more!

5) In a race inside a point...and not all the way "declared" yet...easy to argue boots on the ground sure does top shipping off to DC for a useless couple months. O'Connor will be back at it on Thursday and should have more money and further support as Trump derails more by the day.

I worked hard here for O'Connor and am pretty inconsolable for the moment...but after blowing off some steam and writing this out I am more cautiously optimistic!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:He didn't confess anything. He admitted the Trump Tower meeting was to get dirt on his opponent, but still claims he didn't know about it beforehand as if he would've stopped it. In essence, he just threw his son under the bus.
Gee, a lot of people think that bolded portion is a pretty big confession, seeing they've been saying otherwise for over a year now.

There's way too much fatalism on the left side of the equation. I remember liberal friends being confident Nixon would survive, as well. Trump isn't immune to laws of political gravity. Mueller is coming, and he's going to take him down. There might be a fair degree of ugliness to the process, but the majority of the country isn't ready to surrender to lawlessness.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He didn't confess anything. He admitted the Trump Tower meeting was to get dirt on his opponent, but still claims he didn't know about it beforehand as if he would've stopped it. In essence, he just threw his son under the bus.

It doesn't matter, though, because if by some chance Don Jr. is convicted of anything Daddy will pardon him along with all his other co-conspirators and then if he himself is brought to justice his successor will pardon him "for the good of the country."
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Robert Mueller's interior monologue: "Geez, I spend a year carefully piling up evidence, and then the SOB just tweets out a confession."
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Big Magilla wrote:
Sabin wrote: the hideous Jim Jordan will become speaker and next in line behind Pence.
Only in Trump's America: can a (mostly) meaningless football coach (potentially/likely) lose his job for maybe not calling the police with knowledge of domestic violence between other adults, while a wrestling coach who covered up the rape of multiple "kids" can get a promotion to being 2 heartbeats away from the White House
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Here is a more detailed article on what mlrg is talking about. Read it and weep for I fear we have passed the point of no return:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... d5e2ac923e

Also of note hundreds of people have died in Japan recently due to heatwaves and Sydney has just experienced it hottest July ever (though the nights were still very chilly).

I'm in Melbourne at the moment and an hour ago got back from a quick walk and the weather was so mild for winter. Not that biting cold one usually associates with Melbourne in winter. Oh, and the whole country is currently going through a crippling drought though to be honest on the drive down from Sydney to Melbourne in Thursday I didn't notice anything looking any dryer than usual, though I did sleep half the way.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “Current Events”