Ten Best Films of 2007

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Johnny Guitar wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Riiiight...

And we've also had sweeping statements like "you can see how cleverly the fat cat has secured himself against radicalism", which then mysteriously disappear in the course of the discussion once they're challenged. A form of backpedalling. And if backpedalling was truly your new cause, you'd go after it whenever applicable.

The issue has nothing to do with 'personal causes.' I'm pointing out your backpedaling because we are (I think) on different sides of a debate. I didn't see Aakash's (?) alleged "backpedaling" (or "editing") so can't say anything about it. (But the clause you've excavated seems pretty reasonable to me anyway, and it looks like it's still there in Aakash's post anyway--not edited out.)

Oh, we're still going to debate insignificant tangents, are we?

I never said it was editing. My meaning was, that particular point wasn't addressed once I brought it up. But I can see how it might read that way.

But YOU said I said it was editing. You quoted "editing", as if I had said it and you were using my own words back at me. But I never said it was edited. Well, if we're engaging in blatant conflations, it was only a matter of time before unattributed quotations came up.

I pointed out your contradiction because you played hardball in your first statement, which was just point blank off-base and easily refutable from a number of personal testimonies on this board, and then you played the, "Hey I'm just being reasonable here guys, all I really said was..." card.

What posts are you reading? I never backed down at all or changed my position.

We live in the biggest debtor nation in the world. Americans have more personal and household debt than at any time in the nation's history. As a whole, Americans have no savings whatsoever. In the late 90s, exuberant investors (and college graduates, I'd assume) got caught in the burst tech bubble after foolishly putting too much of their savings into stocks that went bust. Right now, we're in a housing crises and foreclosures have tripled. Very soon, we're going to have a credit card crises with defaults and delinquencies going through the roof. And since there is no savings, too many people don't have adequate contingency plans to cover their asses for such disasters-waiting-to-happen. Good lord, we live in a country where radio and TV commercials advertising "Foreclosed Houses at Low Rates!" are simply the norm, and where unscrupulous fake companies prey on senior citizens gullible enough to fall for them despite their life experience. You can give me all the anecdotes you want, but the facts suggests that most Americans AREN'T expert financial planners in their student years, because that would mean their skills drop off precipitously after graduation. So okay, it's maybe not never. But it's so so so much closer to 'never' than never's polar opposite, 'always'.

Of course, I've no doubt that there are those who major in business because they're worried about their financial status after graduation. But that only shows they have the aptitude for such a major. Then again, it could be they want to get filthy rich.

Oh, according to this survey taken by the Dept. of Education, it is true that Business is the most popular major. But do the math. What percentage of college students major in business? Nearly 21.7%. It's an epidemic!

YOU said otherwise.

On "our" side of the debate, we have loans --> nickel-and-diming --> keep people from meaningful political action. Nickel-and-diming is a form of repression.

I said:

"There are probably hundreds of reasons why there is no true left in America today, and if the student debt program is one of them, then it's a small factor at best."

You said: "Nickel-and-diming people is precisely one way to repress them from rising up."

To repeat, there are probably hundreds of reasons. Different forms of economic repression is a goodly number of them, but even that tends to backfire. And the student loan program would be only one of them.

Which you say in your premise you don't agree with, that it's one (n&d-ing) but not the other. Or at least not "meant" as the other.

Sorry, not understanding that.

Though when I bring it up you're all, "Who's disagreeing?" So is the loan program (which we both agree = nickel-and-diming) repressive and pulverizing to the populace, or not?

"Today's student loan program is a scandal. The skyrocketing of tuition costs over the past few decades is criminal. And everyone knows finanical institutions love to draw blood."

However...

"the student loan programs were not created with the purpose of repressing a radical-left movement in mind,"

That said, don't mistakenly think that I believe...

"no nefarious intent is exactly the same thing as denying consequence"

Is your only grievance one of delineating the particulars of intent?

"Now, just to make sure we don't go so far off-track - as we are - I'll just restate the two premises of my argument. It was nothing more than a). the student loan programs were not created with the purpose of repressing a radical-left movement in mind, they were just created to nickle-and-dime everyone;"

(In which case ... what, do you think we're saying that bankers and politicians meet up in the Skull & Bones tower and sacrifice an infant before outlining the student loan program that will specifically keep people off the streets and out of meaningful action or dialogue?)

To Akash and only Akash: "Maybe I read it wrong, but you seemed to strongly suggest that the student loan program was created with the purpose of tamping down any emerging radical, anti-capitalist movements."

Who said you denied that student loan debt exists? Who accused you of denying that financial repression doesn't exist?

Akash: "I don't know what your socio-economic background is, but"... followed by a very brief disquisition of the financial straits middle class and poor students face after graduation, presumably under the assumption that I needed one.

Nik: "Sonic Youth, most kids are on financial aid and graduate with, etc.", "I think you might be dismissing the pressure that's on middle and lower income college students to get a job."

Why would anyone tell me this unless they felt I didn't know and it needed to be told? In any event, it had nothing to do with the points I was making.

You're being paranoid here, and keep pushing into vague generalities rather than keeping to the specific points.

"Now, just to make sure we don't go so far off-track - as we are - I'll just restate the two premises of my argument. It was nothing more than a). the student loan programs were not created with the purpose of repressing a radical-left movement in mind, they were just created to nickle-and-dime everyone; and b). the student loan program is not the primary, or even a significant, contributing factor to suppressing a radical-left movement."

Specific enough for you?

The point in question had to do with the functions of student loan debt as a systemic thing, and whether or not its repressive effects are an implementation in service of ruling, moneyed classes and exploitative of everyone else (including the middle class who help keep it going, as clerks and aspirants) ... which Aakash and I seem to think is pretty obvious, and which you seem unable to make up your mind on yet, depending on how we "accuse" you.

"And I'll repeat that for as long as it needs repeating, i.e. once the concept sticks in someone's mind. And once we've finally stopped conflating my specific point with general accusations of... me believing no nefarious intent is exactly the same thing as denying consequence."

Not sure what more needs to be said. I was clear enough in my earlier posts.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1199153427
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Here is my top ten post...

Top 11* Favorite Films of 2007, unrated: (*includes one 2006 release which arrived in town too late for me to see in 2006)
The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Notes On A Scandal
Fugitive Pieces
Control
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
No Country For Old Men
Ratatouille
Red Road
Into The Wild
Lust, Caution

Film Festival Top Ten: (these films are rated in an earlier posting)
Fugitive Pieces
Control
The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
Radio Star
London To Brighton
Atonement
Persepolis
I Served The King of England
Mad Detective
Sons

Best Documentaries:
Sharkwater
We Are Together

The best non-2007 films that I saw this year, for the first time:
- Seance On A Wet Afternoon (1964)
- I'm Alright Jack (1959)

Best performances of 2006:
Lead Actor:
Casey Afleck - The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Lead Actress:
Anamaria Marinca - 4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days
Supporting Actor:
Hal Holbrook - Into The Wild
Supporting Actress:
Bianca - Lars And The Real Girl
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Well, this is what I have as of 12/31/07; you may note I've made some adjustments (some films have lingered in my mind, others have not):

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford -- ****
2. Atonement -- ****
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly -- ****
4. Dan in Real Life -- ****

5. Sunshine -- *** ½
6. No Country For Old Men -- *** ½
7. Gone Baby Gone -- *** ½
8. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer -- *** ½
9. Black Book -- *** ½
10. Eastern Promises -- *** ½

11. 2 Days in Paris -- ***
12. Blades of Glory -- ***
13. Zodiac -- ***
14. Away From Her -- ***
15. Waitress -- ***
16. Michael Clayton -- ***
17. Into the Wild -- ***
18. Ils -- ***
19. Lust, Caution -- ***
20. Rescue Dawn -- ***
21. The Bubble -- ***
22. Superbad -- ***
23. Nue Propriété -- ***
24. La Vie en Rose -- ***
25. Transformers -- ***
26. The Lookout -- ***
27. Juno -- ***
28. The Simpsons Movie -- ***
29. Enchanted -- ***

30. The Man of My Life -- ** ½
31. Disturbia -- ** ½
32. Sweeney Todd -- ** ½
33. 3:10 to Yuma -- ** ½
34. Knocked Up -- ** ½
35. Year of the Dog -- ** ½

(and so godawful I couldn't even finish watching them)
36. 300 -- *
37. Once -- *
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Sonic Youth wrote:Happy new year to all of you returning posters, Nik and Zach. I love you all, and who the hell invited your asses back?
Happy New Year to you too Sonic, lol.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Penelope wrote:
what, do you think we're saying that bankers and politicians meet up in the Skull & Bones tower and sacrifice an infant before outlining the student loan program that will specifically keep people off the streets and out of meaningful action or dialogue?

Yes, but first they pray at the altar of Hilary Swank.
They also jerk off in coffins. I'm serious, this is what they do. They lie in coffins, talk about their past relationships and sexual histories and jerk off while doing it. Just think, George Bush had to do this. Thrown up your dinner yet?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Johnny Guitar wrote:So is the loan program (which we both agree = nickel-and-diming) repressive and pulverizing to the populace, or not? Is your only grievance one of delineating the particulars of intent?

Thank you Zach. Seriously, immunity for life.

Exactly. Of course the way the base and superstructure dynamic works is that power is conflated at the top, and endorses any option that maintains the status quo. It doesn't mean there's some rich guy circle jerk where they all twirl their mustaches and hatch an evil plan. If anything it's more insidious because it works through a systematic understanding among people with a common goal. It's cultural and ingrained. My point was that capitalist values (value assignments along monetary lines, viewing people and relationships as a way to get from point A to point B) are so ingrained in our society that the capitalist will always lobby for programs that protect his/her interests while the larger underclass is forced to choose between the already limited "A/B" options and doesn't even realize he or she is being pressured to do so.

This has nothing to do with students getting drunk and laid in college. Of course ALL loans (education and otherwise) are insidious in the way that they allow the borrower a period of phony respite before the time to pony up. But that doesn't mean that students aren't being coerced by this process to choose a particular major, choose a particular line of work and then actually HAVE to pursue that path because you know, loans do have to be repaid, leaving them no time to do any other number of things, including yes, political activism.

Edited By Akash on 1199153538
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

what, do you think we're saying that bankers and politicians meet up in the Skull & Bones tower and sacrifice an infant before outlining the student loan program that will specifically keep people off the streets and out of meaningful action or dialogue?

Yes, but first they pray at the altar of Hilary Swank.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Sonic Youth wrote:Riiiight...

And we've also had sweeping statements like "you can see how cleverly the fat cat has secured himself against radicalism", which then mysteriously disappear in the course of the discussion once they're challenged. A form of backpedalling. And if backpedalling was truly your new cause, you'd go after it whenever applicable.

The issue has nothing to do with 'personal causes.' I'm pointing out your backpedaling because we are (I think) on different sides of a debate. I didn't see Aakash's (?) alleged "backpedaling" (or "editing") so can't say anything about it. (But the clause you've excavated seems pretty reasonable to me anyway, and it looks like it's still there in Aakash's post anyway--not edited out.) I pointed out your contradiction because you played hardball in your first statement, which was just point blank off-base and easily refutable from a number of personal testimonies on this board, and then you played the, "Hey I'm just being reasonable here guys, all I really said was..." card.

And who said otherwise?

Now, just to make sure we don't go so far off-track - as we are - I'll restate the two premises of my argument. It was nothing more than a). the student loan programs were not created with the purpose of repressing a radical-left movement in mind, they were just created to nickle-and-dime everyone; and b). the student loan program is not the primary, or even a significant, contributing factor to suppressing a radical-left movement. How that got conflated into my not understanding the scope of financial burden many are faced with after graduation is beyond me. Especially when I earlier called it "criminal" and a "scandal".

YOU said otherwise.

On "our" side of the debate, we have loans --> nickel-and-diming --> keep people from meaningful political action. Nickel-and-diming is a form of repression. Which you say in your premise you don't agree with, that it's one (n&d-ing) but not the other. Or at least not "meant" as the other. Though when I bring it up you're all, "Who's disagreeing?" So is the loan program (which we both agree = nickel-and-diming) repressive and pulverizing to the populace, or not? Is your only grievance one of delineating the particulars of intent?

(In which case ... what, do you think we're saying that bankers and politicians meet up in the Skull & Bones tower and sacrifice an infant before outlining the student loan program that will specifically keep people off the streets and out of meaningful action or dialogue? Come on. Aakash's points were clear and reasonable.)

And I'll repeat that for as long as it needs repeating, i.e. once the concept sticks in someone's mind. And once we've finally stopped conflating my specific point with general accusations of me denying that student load debt exists, or me denying that there is no such thing as financial repression, or me believing nefarious intent is exactly the same thing as denying consequence.

Who said you denied that student loan debt exists? Who accused you of denying that financial repression doesn't exist? You're being paranoid here, and keep pushing into vague generalities rather than keeping to the specific points. The point in question had to do with the functions of student loan debt as a systemic thing, and whether or not its repressive effects are an implementation in service of ruling, moneyed classes and exploitative of everyone else (including the middle class who help keep it going, as clerks and aspirants) ... which Aakash and I seem to think is pretty obvious, and which you seem unable to make up your mind on yet, depending on how we "accuse" you.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Johnny Guitar wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:I'm not dismissing pressure that comes with those who pay off their debt after college. I'm saying many don't think about it while they're in the moment, savoring the college experience.

Actually, Sonic, what you wrote was: "And by the way, students NEVER think about their future student loan debt when they're in college and choosing a major. NEVER. Especially not if their parents are paying for tuition." You're backpedaling now because you were clearly wrong on this point. But let the record show you decided to emphasize the absolute. In capitals no less. Twice.

Riiiight...

Nickel-and-diming people is precisely one way to repress them from rising up. If it's done in the right way (a carrot on a stick case) people will accept it and grumble about it and in this case view the college experience as merely a four-year entrance exam to a job that will either help them make a better living (how many proles studying medieval art for the love of the scholarly life?), or, if they're good middle-class folks, help them keep up the same lifestyle as their parents provided (a cruel illusion!) and ... pay for the fees to their entrance exam.

And who said otherwise?

Now, just to make sure we don't go so far off-track - as we are - I'll restate the two premises of my argument. It was nothing more than a). the student loan programs were not created with the purpose of repressing a radical-left movement in mind, they were just created to nickle-and-dime everyone; and b). the student loan program is not the primary, or even a significant, contributing factor to suppressing a radical-left movement. How that got conflated into my not understanding the scope of financial burden many are faced with after graduation is beyond me. Especially when I earlier called it "criminal" and a "scandal".

And I'll repeat that for as long as it needs repeating, i.e. once the concept sticks in someone's mind. And once we've finally stopped conflating my specific point with general accusations of me denying that student load debt exists, or me denying that there is no such thing as financial repression, or me believing nefarious intent is exactly the same thing as denying consequence.

Happy new year to all of you returning posters, Nik and Zach. I love you all, and who the hell invited your asses back?

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1199120156
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

Sonic Youth wrote:I'm not dismissing pressure that comes with those who pay off their debt after college. I'm saying many don't think about it while they're in the moment, savoring the college experience.

Actually, Sonic, what you wrote was: "And by the way, students NEVER think about their future student loan debt when they're in college and choosing a major. NEVER. Especially not if their parents are paying for tuition." You're backpedaling now because you were clearly wrong on this point. But let the record show you decided to emphasize the absolute. In capitals no less. Twice.

Now, just to make sure we don't go so far off-track - as we are - I'll just restate the two premises of my argument. It was nothing more than a). the student loan programs were not created with the purpose of repressing a radical-left movement in mind, they were just created to nickle-and-dime everyone; and b). the student loan program is not the primary, or even a significant, contributing factor to suppressing a radical-left movement. How that got conflated into my not understanding the scope of financial burden many are faced with after graduation is beyond me. Especially when I earlier called it "criminal" and a "scandal".

Nickel-and-diming people is precisely one way to repress them from rising up. If it's done in the right way (a carrot on a stick case) people will accept it and grumble about it and in this case view the college experience as merely a four-year entrance exam to a job that will either help them make a better living (how many proles studying medieval art for the love of the scholarly life?), or, if they're good middle-class folks, help them keep up the same lifestyle as their parents provided (a cruel illusion!) and ... pay for the fees to their entrance exam.

(By the way, I do have loans to pay, if that matters.)
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eric wrote:OK, clearly my straight male friends are about three shades further to the Louis C.K. side of the sexuality scale than yours, Pen.
LMAO!

Sorry, I'm just now finding some of these gems.

And um NIK!!!
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Nik wrote:Oh I've definitely met a lot of kids who made choices in college based on the expectation of a lucrative or at least well paying job later on.

Sonic Youth, most kids are on financial aid and graduate with at least some substantial loan amount and this does indeed affect the choices they make. The most popular majors are Business Administration and Management and among Ivy League and Top 20 schools, its Economics. I think you might be dismissing the pressure that's on middle and lower income college students to get a job, be successful and yes, pay off their debt.

Don't be so quick with conclusions.

I'm not dismissing pressure that comes with those who pay off their debt after college. I'm saying many don't think about it while they're in the moment, savoring the college experience. And that has nothing to do with the issue of student debt later in life, but of the nature of twenty year olds living away from home and discovering the freedoms of getting drunk and laid. It's funny how I'm the one who has to be explained about student debt to two posters who clearly aren't going to be burdened with such, and I had to take every 2nd semester off in order to work full time to afford school and housing.

Most people don't go to Ivy League schools, or the top twenty. Maybe perception is different in environments of privilege. And "most popular major" doesn't tell me much in a field of thousands to choose from. I'm sure it's the most popular by a polarity. And that it would be a small minority when majors are categorized as "Business/Management" and "Other".

Now, just to make sure we don't go so far off-track - as we are - I'll just restate the two premises of my argument. It was nothing more than a). the student loan programs were not created with the purpose of repressing a radical-left movement in mind, they were just created to nickle-and-dime everyone; and b). the student loan program is not the primary, or even a significant, contributing factor to suppressing a radical-left movement. How that got conflated into my not understanding the scope of financial burden many are faced with after graduation is beyond me. Especially when I earlier called it "criminal" and a "scandal".

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1199107609
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eric wrote:I wrote a snarky review for Slant.

HA! Just read it. Loved it Eric.

Favorite line: "Clearly I am not in the film's target demographic. The preteen boy in me couldn't stifle giggles when the credit for the production designer came up—Pierre Queffelean—but then again, the preteen boy in me is also currently laughing at the concept of 'the preteen boy in me.' "

And the preteen boy in me couldn't stifle giggles when reading that line.

Edited By Akash on 1199100454
Nik
Temp

Post by Nik »

Oh I've definitely met a lot of kids who made choices in college based on the expectation of a lucrative or at least well paying job later on.

Sonic Youth, most kids are on financial aid and graduate with at least some substantial loan amount and this does indeed affect the choices they make. The most popular majors are Business Administration and Management and among Ivy League and Top 20 schools, its Economics. I think you might be dismissing the pressure that's on middle and lower income college students to get a job, be successful and yes, pay off their debt.

I think Aakash's point is a valid one and I think he's referring to a kind of value assignment (call it capitalist or marketplace or whatever you want) that occurs in American society, that is so ingrained that most people don't even realize they're being forced to make these choices.

I was very fortunate to grow up with relatively well off parents who could pay for my education so I didn't graduate with loans. Choices were available to me that I know aren't available to most students. I was able to do exactly what I wanted to do and I was able to take non paid internships during and after college because I had the luxury of doing so. Not everyone can.

Edited By Nik on 1199089353
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sonic Youth wrote:And be glad you live in this day and age, because a 40-hour work week is as short as it has ever been. And you can thank the unions for that, who managed to organize to cut the number of hours despite the 50-60 hour weeks they had to endure. The real problem is people working 2 to 3 jobs at 60-70 hours a week to make ends meet.
Seriously. Since I graduated college, I've never had a job where I worked less than a 60 hour work week, and up to 90 hour work weeks are not uncommon for me at all.

Of course, no one is forcing me to work that much; I've chosen my jobs. But your point about the time-consuming nature of a 40 hour work week is a bit beyond my grasp.

Return to “2000 - 2007”