Ten Best Films of 2007

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:The Damienites don't like it much.

Oh I'd say there's definitely someone here who's obsessed with Damien. I think that kind of obsession also qualifies you for Damienism.

Edited By Akash on 1198838291
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

No, Damienism is a condition that's difficult to pin down to case-by-case symptoms.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

But you hated Dreamgirls! Doesn't that disqualify you from Damienism?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I think I'm called a Damienite because of the Lumet thing, but I actually love The Wiz, so ... In any case, the only thing I truly am is a Neil Patrick Harrisite.

(EDIT: And I think The Lives of Others and Pan's Labyrinth are equally underwhelming.)

Edited By Eric on 1198811735
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote:WTF????

I haven't even seen The Lives Of Others!
Being a true Damienite, I haven't seen it either. Why should we waste our time on a German movie when we can watch Dreamgirls for the 32nd time?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Okri wrote:I'm sure Marco's comment on Lives of Others stems from when Damien said something negative about it winning over Pan's Labyrinth at the oscars (a film Damien quite liked).
Yeah, I seem to recall Damien saying some negative comments about Lives of Others, as well; I assumed he'd seen it and not liked it.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Roughly speaking, Damienites are those folks who agree with Damien that Gods and Monsters is a good/great film and Ian McKellan was truly robbed in 1998 (hatred of Life is Beautiful and/or Benigni's win is an acceptable substitute). Of course, there are other issues at stake in the matter (generally whenever Italiano wants to insult members of the board, but can't use the term American), but an admiration of Bill Condon can be seen as the root of it. Who are the Damienites? Frankly, I don't know.

I'm sure Marco's comment on Lives of Others stems from when Damien said something negative about it winning over Pan's Labyrinth at the oscars (a film Damien quite liked).
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

ITALIANO wrote:The Damienites don't like it much.
Please tell me who these Damienites are.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ITALIANO wrote:Well, ok, but Eric put it on the same level of The Lives of Others (another movie Damien taught this board to hate), so I'm sure it HAS to be very good.

WTF????

I haven't even seen The Lives Of Others!

Geez, Marco, you have transformed me into something truly
thaumaturgic if I am affecting people's opinions when I have no opinion on the matter.

I'm not a vindictive person, but I'm delighted that you will have your punishment -- you still have to endure the torture that sitting through Before The Devil Knows You're Dead entails. :laugh:

Edited By Damien on 1198798815
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Penelope wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Akash wrote:

Translation: Eric and Damien didn't like it.

Well, ok, but Eric put it on the same level of The Lives of Others (another movie Damien taught this board to hate), so I'm sure it HAS to be very good.

Oh, I think Damien was unsuccessful in getting the board to hate The Lives of Others; with one or two exceptions, I think that film is pretty well-respected in these parts (deservedly so, too).
I must have missed that one. The Lives of Others is a fascinating film, even more so when you know that Ulrich Muhe who played the ultimately sympathetic surveillance monitor was himself spied upon in the waning years of the East German regime with his own wife the government's chief informant.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Damienites don't like it much.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

ITALIANO wrote:
Akash wrote:
Sabin wrote:My estimation of 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' has fallen so much.

Well, ok, but Eric put it on the same level of The Lives of Others (another movie Damien taught this board to hate), so I'm sure it HAS to be very good.
Oh, I think Damien was unsuccessful in getting the board to hate The Lives of Others; with one or two exceptions, I think that film is pretty well-respected in these parts (deservedly so, too).
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Akash wrote:
Sabin wrote:My estimation of 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' has fallen so much.

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Eric wrote:Hasn't anyone ever seen a bell curve?
Or more to the point, hasn't he seen Before the Devil Knows You're Dead? That film stunk like a bag of dead turtles. One star for it is being kind.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Tree18 wrote:Wow, putting Before the Devil Knows you're Dead, perhaps one of Lumet's best films ever at one star, you must of been in a bad mood this movie year Eric. Your ratings make it like it has been a bad movie year, when in fact it has been one of the best.

I always get accused of this. (Or, at least, repeatedly -- anonymous said as much last year.) Hasn't anyone ever seen a bell curve?

Edited By Eric on 1198756727

Return to “2000 - 2007”