The Official Review Thread of 2007

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Look, I was a teenager who was also an outcast and wanted to get laid, but how many freaking movies do we have to see about nerdy str8 boys wanting to get laid? You guys get everything from American Graffiti to Fast Times at Ridgemont High to Superbad and what do I get? Another Gay Movie. Enough already.

And the nincompoop cops were SOOOO not funny--they were cringe-worthy--I kept hoping McLovin would accidently shoot them. If it weren't for Michael Cera's impeccable comic timing, Superbad would barely register.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm a straight male who used to be between the ages of 18 and 25. I don't care.
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Just...sigh.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Saw 'Superbad' again. Close to perfect for its genre. While the cops really do come from nowhere and have little to do with the film, they're an inspired contrivance, incredibly funny. It's incredibly well-acted and I still laughed until I genuinely felt pain during the Pictures of Dicks montage. This film really seems to understand what it means to be an outcast, a straight-up outcast struggling to get laid...even if the third act elevates their stock a little bit which is understandable. Watching 'Knocked Up' again later, but 'Superbad' managed to impress more on a second viewing. Let it be said that while Judd Apatow is a master of corralling talent together, Greg Mottolla molded the tighter film with no loss of performance.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Sleuth: Sorta entertaining for a misdirected unecessary remake of a work not that great to begin with (I'm referring to the original Shaffer play). Indeed, if Damien still awards the Sidney Lumet Obfuscation award, Kenneth Brannagh should be a lock.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days: Best film I've seen from 2007. Granted, I've only seen six films, but it's still amazing.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:I saw 'The Dreamers'. That...what? Lack of recognizable talent?
Start puckering . . . :p
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

I do not understand my friend Damien's choices : Ethan Hawke I never could fathom, and Michael Pitt loves like a very young Michael York.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

A suprisingly good(2007) DVD is Starter For Ten with James Mc Avoy. It is an HBO film so probably it did not show in theatres. Nice evening's entertainment.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Apparently, Michael Pitt is sexually attractive. I don't get it, either, Sabin--he's too twinkish for my tastes. I'd much rather romp with his Murder By Numbers co-star Ryan Gosling.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I saw 'The Dreamers'. That...what? Lack of recognizable talent?
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Akash wrote:HA! Ok Damien, Ethan Hawke I get (minus the bad teeth), but Michael Pitt? He's the poor man's Leo.
Ohhhh, those lips, those eyes, that . . . (well, if you saw The Dreamers you know what I mean) l
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mike D'Angelo just gave 'There Will Be Blood' a 78. That's very close to the A- range and the highest rating he has afforded a P.T. Anderson film.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I saw Mary Zimmerman's stage adaptation of Silk a few years back, and it was a lovely evening. Too bad the film does not contain the simplistic beauty here production did.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:Note to Self: Stop going to movies just because Michael Pitt's in them.
HA! Ok Damien, Ethan Hawke I get (minus the bad teeth), but Michael Pitt? He's the poor man's Leo.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

SILK (François Girard). **
A 19th century Frenchman in to Japan This film posits itself as a romantic epic, and stints on both the romantic and the epic. It's also one of the most sluggishly-paced and ponderous films I've ever sat through. Essentially nothing happens, although we do follow our hero on three grueling journeys to Japan, although these are presented in short prettified scenes (tho they're not especially pretty, the cinematography having a muted, brownish tint.

Everyone speaks with American accents -- Keira Knightley comes across as a soccer mom -- and the actors perform with the stilted over-earnestness of a high school drama club. Thedialogue is equally stilted -- there's even a line: "I met with Pasteur. He's a clever fellow." Girard's Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould is one of my favorite movies of the 90s -- I have no idea how he could haave messed up so badly.

Note to Self: Stop going to movies just because Michael Pitt's in them.

Return to “2000 - 2007”