The Official Review Thread of 2007

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Watched 'The King of California'. Don't think there are more forgettable films made last year. The movie that critics complain that Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor always make. They produced this one.

'In the Valley of Elah' is not as bad as I said it is. I still think it's incredibly problematic especially in its kow-towing to a Charlize Theron plotline that is beyond irrelevant but the scenes with Tommy Lee Jones, incidental or not, are incredibly strong and at times have a strong, contemplative power. If it were anyone else, the miraculous deductive power of Tommy Lee Jones would seem like Screenwriting II horseshit, but it works. I came very close to liking the film. I will say that Tommy Lee Jones gave a class act performance that deserved to win the Oscar or at least give Day-Lewis a run for his money. How he wasn't nominated for a Golden Globe OR a SAG is beyond me. Beyond me. Between this and 'No Country', only Casey Affleck had a stronger year.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
Cast: Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Rockwell, Sam Shepard, Mary-Louise Parker, Paul Schneider, Garrett Dillahunt, Jeremy Renner, Michael Parks, Ted Levine, Zooey Deschanel.
Dir: Andrew Dominik

This is a gorgeously shot and wonderfully acted film, albeit a tad too slow and ponderous early on but the film has many other strengths more than make up for it. It strongly reminded me of McCabe and Mrs. Miller by way of Terrence Malick. Affleck is outstanding but I do believe Brad Pitt gives his career-best performance in this film.

Oscar Prospects: The Original BJ is right. Casey Affleck belongs in Lead.

Grade: A-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

JUNO
Cast: Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, J.K. Simmons, Allison Janney, Olivia Thirlby, Rainn Wilson.
Dir: Jason Reitman

A funny, sweet indie comedy primarily works because of the wonderful performances by the entire cast lead by Ellen Page. Diablo Cody's script is funny and witty (though, yeah, a bit overwritten). The entire film is quirky but feels real, unlike some other quirky indie comedies as of late.

Oscar Prospects: I think Cera should've been nommed for Supporting Actor as well.

Grade: B+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Dillon Freasier, Kevin J. O'Connor, Ciaran Hinds.
Dir: Paul Thomas Anderson.

This is the best film of the year so far and writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson's best work and undeniably his first REAL masterpiece. Day-Lewis blew me away as the spiritually bankrupt Daniel Plainview. He's matched scene for scene by Dano and Freasier. Jonny Greenwood's score is SUPERB. I regard this as one of the best films of the decade so far.

Oscar Prospects: Paul Dano blew me away almost as much as Day-Lewis. It's really surprising for me he didn't get as much citations for Best Supporting Actor.

Grade: A
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE DARJEELING LIMITED
Cast: Adrien Brody, Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Anjelica Huston, Amara Karan, Wallace Wolodarsky, Waris Ahluwalia, Irfan Khan, Barbet Schroeder, Camilla Rutherford, Natalie Portman.
Dir: Wes Anderson.

Although it's not quite as successful as Wes Anderson's previous efforts, it's still remains an engaging, sweet and heartfelt film thanks to great performances by the entire cast. The exotic milieu and fantastic soundtrack gives it an added specialness.

Grade: B
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mike D'Angelo's SKANDIES are underway and I learned something...the rain in the car chase from 'We Own the Night' was all CGI. All of it. Not a real drop to be found on the set. It's not that the film is a marvel of rain-CGI but that it was integrated so perfectly that I didn't even think to question it.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

AMERICAN GANGSTER
Cast: Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Josh Brolin, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lymari Nadal, Ted Levine, Armand Assante, Cuba Gooding Jr., Carla Gugino, John Hawkes, Ruby Dee, Clarence Williams III, Idris Elba, RZA.
Dir: Ridley Scott

Entertaining but wholly unremarkable crime drama about the rise of crime lord Frank Lucas during the late 60's, early 70's. The story itself is fascinating and would make for a compelling drama but director Scott and lead performers Crowe and Washington only do an adequate job in bringing it to life.

Oscar Prospects: How the hell did Ruby Dee get nominated for this? She was barely there.

Grade: C+
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, I held out as long as I could, but three nominations persuaded me to spring for pay-per-view on Transformers.

This is Michael Bay's best movie? Seems to me you'd need an electron microscope to see much difference between this and previous efforts. The dopey/racial jokes still abound (dreary Indian telemarketers where once there were camera-snapping Japanese), as does the 15-year-old's hormonal take on women (he seems to think making Michaela a car expert gives her dimension, but she's really what all Bay women are: a vagina on legs). I found the action excruciatingly dull, and not even particularly well-framed or edited (alot of the cutting in fact seemed shoddy -- I wondered if Spielberg leaned on him to cut out some even stupider stuff, leaving a sloppy remnant). And the story was sometimes borderline incoherent (I never did figure out how LaBoeuf won over Turturro, or why the military guys did half the things they did). About the only good decision overall was giving the "good" transformers colorful costumes so we could tell them from the other hunks of metal.

This piece of crap is supposed to win three Oscars? I guess visual effects is a gimme, thanks to the other nominees, but I'd be surprised if voters didn't resist voting for it in the other two slots.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1201553096
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I remember Damien commenting on this film when it was released, and telling us that he fondly remembers the Chipmunks from when he was young. I am glad that he still likes them now.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I can't even tell when you're serious or kidding anymore, Damien -- I think you've become a goddamn cartoon :p

Edited By Akash on 1201357680
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Damien wrote: ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS

A delightful family movie, filled with charming – often laugh-out-loud funny – humor. There’s a real warmth in the characterizations and relationships, and the comedy is never forced. The music is terrific, as are the FX renderings of the three chipmunks -- and they are so so endearing! Lovable really.

And Theodore really comes into his own here – whereas in the past he was just the fat hungry one, here his vulnerability and longing are hugely affecting. (The one flaw is Jason Lee’s arch performance – he’s less life-like than the title characters.) It's a lively, buoyant film, sweet, delightful and humorous; a child-targeted work which is smart enough for adults, too.

Well, that went down exactly as expected. I think this goes down as my first vote in Best Post of 2008. Damien, this is why we all love you around here.
Ditto.

Steph2: Damien also liked Monster House (gave it ***) and Shrek 2 (which I hated).
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Steph2 wrote:I feel so betrayed Damien. I need to go lie down.
Check it out Steph. It's nor Persepolis, but it's a thousand times better than the rat thing. (I saw ads for it when I was in Paris in November -- it was opening at the Taille XXS and the Talent XXL (and of course the title there is Alvin et les Chipmunks).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Damien wrote: ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS

A delightful family movie, filled with charming – often laugh-out-loud funny – humor. There’s a real warmth in the characterizations and relationships, and the comedy is never forced. The music is terrific, as are the FX renderings of the three chipmunks -- and they are so so endearing! Lovable really.

And Theodore really comes into his own here – whereas in the past he was just the fat hungry one, here his vulnerability and longing are hugely affecting. (The one flaw is Jason Lee’s arch performance – he’s less life-like than the title characters.) It's a lively, buoyant film, sweet, delightful and humorous; a child-targeted work which is smart enough for adults, too.
Well, that went down exactly as expected. I think this goes down as my first vote in Best Post of 2008. Damien, this is why we all love you around here.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

I feel so betrayed Damien. I need to go lie down.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS

Edited By Damien on 1201304935
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “2000 - 2007”