The Official Review Thread of 2007

dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

2 Short Ones.

Once
I hope i leave the theater as satisfied as i was when i left after this film a few more times this year. Just a great job by the two actors and the writer/director here. Just a great modern musical type story where the characters break out into song because that is whats going on in their life, everything happens so naturally and by the end of it i just fell in love with the characters. I wanted this story to keep going and going. The songs were great and performed very honestly. The actors flowed well and had great chemistry. A very small film with a huge heart...this deserves all the love its getting. I hope one of the songs gets nominated and i can see a screenplay nomination happening.
5 out 5 stars.

The Brave One
This is a really bad story with really great acting and directing. This story got really frustrating as it went on but neil jordan somehow kept me interested and kept this thing moving for me. The ending was almost laugh out loud funny when it was suppose to be hold on to your seat intense. But again this is the writing. I sometimes wonder if best director nominations should be directors saving a story and bringing a could be horrilbe film into a very watchable one. The reason to really go see this movie is jodie foster who is always pretty darn reliable. She has a fascinating character here who experiences great loss. She made me understand what was going on and her emotions are by far the most interesting part of this movie. Terrance Howard also does a fine job here. A good idea, the writing could have gone in a few different directions but instead went where it went. That was unfortunate but it was partially saved by quality direction and fascinating acting.
3 out 5 stars...but closer to 2 1/2
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Shoot 'Em Up is a Buster Keaton-esque, 90-minute Looney Tunes episode set on celluloid with more sex, and a lot more guns. You definitely do not see this movie for anything resembling a plot or character development, but it was an enjoyable rollercoaster. Clive Owen is a master at the deadpan, hard-boiled anti-hero, it was great fun to see Giamatti chewing scenery, and I am convinced it was the terrible material that prompted Belluci's performance. Because she can act, right? I mean, at least in Italian, maybe? Turn off your brain if you want to see this, and enjoy the carefully orchestrated bouts of gunplay.
B-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

WAITRESS
Cast: Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, Cheryl Hines, Jeremy Sisto, Andy Griffith, Adrienne Shelly, Eddie Jemison, Lew Temple.
Dir: Adrienne Shelly

Though it's far from perfect, this sweet, heartfelt little film works primarily from it's performances: From the great lead performance from Russell to the great supporting cast who keep this film from being too sitcomish. It's really sad that this is the first breakout film from Adrienne Shelly (who died under tragic circumstances). She has talent and I sure would've liked to have seen grow more as a filmmaker.

Oscar Prospects: I say Keri Russell might get a Globe nod. But if the film builds up, I think nods for Supporting Actor (Andy Griffith), Original Screenplay and Original Song aren't too far fetched.

Grade: B
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Just saw 'Lucky You' and I'm amazed. This is Curtis Fucking Hanson! 'Wonder Boys' and 'L.A. Confidential' are damn fine movies and while 'In Her Shoes' and '8 Mile' are certainly lightweight studio ventures, the man directedt hem to more success than they had any right to attain. Why does 'Luck You' feel so second-rate? So barely there? So disappatory (sp? real word?)?

I know how to play Hold 'Em! Don't explain to to me in pithy metaphor for two hours, dude! "What Would Wilder Do?", motherfucker! Damn...

Bana and Barrymore are serviceable at best in their middling roles, but it's Duvall who really sinks in this one and it's largely the script. What should be a meaty supporting role is made redundant by the man's constant teleportation behind his son's shoulders during every single game. What, he doesn't have a life to live too? Every scene with Duvall is the same. He is always behind Bana to give him a hard time and Duvall fails to find any interesting notes to play. Very disappointing. I love poker; apparently so does Hanson, and he underperforms here to egregious results.

I saw 'Rocket Science' as well. Here is a charming little piece of Wes-lite with two very winning lead performances by Reece Thompson and Anna Kendrick, and a wonderful instrumental score that completely craps out in the final stretch. File this one under "No Ending". What Blitz was trying to get across here is beyond me. Very disappointing. I went into this one with low expectations as, between this one, 'Charlie Bartlett', 'Thumbsucker', and twenty on the way, Wes Anderson-chic has completely overrun the Market of Twee. One hour in, I thought I had a very strong piece of work that I couldn't resist. Just my kind of movie. And that's all I have now...2/3rds of a movie I loved.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've seen 'Superbad' twice now and I love the thing and have yet to encounter anybody who doesn't (in real life. not whatever *this* is). The only two problems are that there really aren't any fleshed out female characters and there really could've been (though it's not essential) and the police officers are a little anachronistic (though still totally enjoyable). And when a movie's flaws are this endearing, that's a very good thing. I think this movie is more consistently funny, but 'Knocked Up' is the stronger film and with far stronger performances.

The summer's best movies are the only ones that aren't sequels. 'Knocked Up', 'Ratatouille' (ah...'Ratatouille'!) and 'Superbad'. I also have great affection for 'The Bourne Ultimatum''s 2 hour chase and the subversive '28 Weeks Later'.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Here's to making Killer of Sheep 2007's Army of Shadows.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

No, not at all, but mindless cruelity and silliness is.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Penelope, is it possible that adolescent/post-adolescent heterosexual behavior and the insecurities and fears that drive it are beyond your comprehension?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

You've got to be fucking kidding me.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

May the good lord forgive me for peridocially being drawn towards the inexcusible, obscene lowbroww, but if "Superbad" isn't the best movie of the year then I have a bigger crush on Katherine Heigl than I thought. There's no Heigl to be seen anywhere in "Superbad", sadly, but it's even more hysterical than "Knocked Up" was and for me it's a better nostalgia piece than any other teen film I can think of. It's missing a final scene that would have made it just as poignant as it is funny (I have it all planned out in my head), but... my gosh... "Superbad" is the best movie of 2007.*

*So far, I mean.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

HAIRSPRAY
Cast: Nikki Blonsky, John Travolta, Michelle Pfieffer, Christopher Walken, Amanda Bynes, Queen Latifah, James Marsden, Brittany Snow, Zac Efron, Elijah Kelley, Allison Janney, Jerry Stiller, Paul Dooley.
Dir: Adam Shankman

This film has absolutely no right to be as good as it is: Directed by Adam Shankman who up until this movie is a poor man's Shawn Levy and it's a film version of the Broadway musical based on a cult classic by John Waters no less. Though this definitely isn't as great as the original (John Travolta is not 'Divine'), it's still a pretty damn good musical. So much fun. It helps that newcomer Nikki Blonsky is every bit as charming and infectious as Ricki Lake and a better singer than Marissa Jaret Winokur.

Oscar Prospects: Globe nods for Musical/Comedy Picture, Actor (Travolta) and Actress (Blonsky) are a cinch. It'll be tricky to get Best Picture nod at the Oscars. But it's sure to get Original Song and Costume Design nods.

Grade: B+
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'Bourne Ultimatum' is simultaneously a soulless piece of entertainment and an incredibly efficient feature film-lengthed chase scene. I enjoyed it.

'Superbad' is the funniest film I've seen since 'Knocked Up', which was in turn the funniest film I'd seen in years. Despite the fact that the cops feel out of a different movie and that none of the female characters are terribly developed (especially compared to 'Knocked Up'), I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and it's three delightful leading performances. It's especially gratifying to see Michael Cera transfer his persona over to film so well. I would watch this film again in a second and can't wait for the DVD.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM
Cast: Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, Albert Finney, Joan Allen, David Strathairn, Paddy Considine, Edgar Ramirez, Tom Gallop, Corey Johnson, Daniel Bruhl.
Dir: Paul Greengrass.

The conclusion (???) of the Bourn trilogy of films is a well-crafted and very entertaining thriller that doesn't rise above it's material despite the talented direction and excellent cast. Unremarkable for sure but not a bad time at the movies and is as good as the first two.

Oscar Prospects: Maybe Editing and Sound Editing.

Grade: B
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I spent an entire afternoon in Paris, so to speak, with two films set entirely in the city. I feel like I can make way around the city!

2 DAYS IN PARIS
Cast: Adam Goldberg, Julie Delpy, Daniel Bruhl, Marie Pillet, Albert Delpy.
Dir: Julie Delpy

Julie Delpy not only writes, directs and acts in this film. She also produced it, edited it and composed music for it. And it's a very strong film. This is sort of like the anti-romantic comedy. Indeed, it is quite funny but it goes into a direction that's almost totally unheard of in the standard Hollywood rom-com. Some great acting by the two leads. I look forward to seeing more of what Julie Delpy can do both in front of and now behind the camera.

Oscar Prospects: Deserves Best Original Screenplay and Best Actor (Goldberg) and Actress (Delpy) nominations.

Grade: A-

PARIS JE T'AIME
Cast: Fanny Ardant, Juliette Binoche, Steve Buscemi, Sergio Castellitto, Willem Dafoe, Gérard Depardieu, Marianne Faithfull, Ben Gazzara, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Bob Hoskins, Margo Martindale, Emily Mortimer, Nick Nolte, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Natalie Portman, Miranda Richardson, Gena Rowlands, Ludivine Sagnier, Rufus Sewell, Gaspard Ulliel, Elijah Wood.
Dirs: Olivier Assayas, Frédéric Auburtin, Emmanuel Benbihy, Gurinder Chadha, Sylvain Chomet, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen, Isabel Coixet, Wes Craven, Alfonso Cuarón, Gérard Depardieu, Christopher Doyle, Richard LaGravenese, Vincenzo Natali, Alexander Payne, Bruno Podalydès, Walter Salles, Oliver Schmitz,
Nobuhiro Suwa, Daniela Thomas, Tom Tykwer, Gus Van Sant.

18 renowned international film directors contribute a bunch of short films set in Paris and involves love in some way. The result is a mixture of mediocre disappointments with some suprises. Cuaron's segment is disappointing since the only thing interesting about it is that it's only one long shot. I'm very confused as to what was the point of Christopher Doyle's segment. Chomain's and Natali's segments both stick out like sore thumbs but are interesting nonetheless. My favorite segments include Payne's, Depardieu's, Suwa's, Van Sant's and Tykwer's.

Oscar Prospects: Martindale's performance is noteworthy but I don't think so.

Grade: B (overall)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Persepolis (Vincent Paronnaud/Marjan Satrapi) **** - An amazing adult-oriented autobiographical animated film about a young Iranian girl growing up in Iran and Europe. The film's rather grim at parts but manages to inject a surprisingly healthy dose of humor. The film's look combined with the story makes for a really unique cinematic experience. Hopefully, this film won't go unnoticed.

Return to “2000 - 2007”